The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I've never won anything in my life...but....VOTE! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Two weeks ago I took my son to a movie, and there was some kind of lottery thing going on in the theater.

I wrote my name on a slip of paper and put it in a basket.

Three days ago someone called me. I had *WON*! Two VIP tickets to the opening season game of Borussia Dortmund! (Google if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

I'm skeptical. Assuming I actually won these tickets, it would be: THE FIRST TIME I EVER WON ANYTHING IN MY LIFE.

The people who called me made an appointment to come by tomorrow to give me the tickets. They will come, I'm sure of that. BUT: will they just give me tickets or is this some kind of scam? I'm thinking they're going to come by and try to sell me insurance.

What do you think?

If it is real, say: YEA!
If it is not, say: NAY!

Tomorrow night I should know, and I'll let all of you know.

Jeff
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Both.
You will get the tickets, but they will also try to sell you something.
Good luck.
Yeanay.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
YEE! But get a gun ready if they want more than just to give you tickets. Take the tickets, and read the small print. Any hassle, either shoot or recite haiku.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Watch out for the BLACK SPOT!!!
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Fauna told me to say that you'll win the tickets but you'll lose your dignity. He also said in his humble opinion that you already lost your dignity by giving up smoking so you've got nothing to lose.

Faunanananana Lee Laa Loo Lar the 3nd
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
...and the tap tap tap of a wooden leg....
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
...makes a tin tin sound. Which leads us to believe he had it done with bupa! Oh that miserable money stealing git. He's taken the money from our pension to get a fancy tin leg! Why oh Why couldn't he of done it on the nhs!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Is that a Peter Sellers quote?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
That one isn't. (maybe it is) The dog one is tho. So HE tells me.

Freud maybe...naa actually I just remembered I wrote it.
MitchMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Quebec
277 Posts

Profile of MitchMagic
Ask for their cell number, call them in the middle of the meeting... the rest writes itself.

Mitchell
Magic For Darfur
Save Us.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Both....an attempt to sell and the tickets....for whatever it is you won. You can pull a 'Santa's dad' and be as rude and obnoxious as possible until they give you the tickets to leave.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Enjoy the game. Giveaways and fee lotteries are all over the place. The reason for optimism is that they are bringing the tickets to you. Since they aren't making you sit through a timeshare presentation to get the tickets, you are most likely free and clear.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I disagree with John - the fact they are coming to you is a BAD SIGN. It is a classic con man tactic. They want to get in your home because you'll have to ask them to leave which is far harder then just making your excuses and walking out the door.

I am willing to put money on the fact that they will either a) try and sell you something or b) try and swindle you.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Are they coming or are they sending a courier? I assumed that it was a courier.

I've won lots of things, and have never had a problem (I also do not go to "lectures" or "sales talks" to pick up my prize). If they are personally delivering the tickets, that is a bit odd.

BTW, have you contacted the movie theatre? They surely know who ran the contest.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
If they *do* try to make you sit through a timeshare sales presentation, just remember that timeshare salespeople have no souls. Armed with that knowledge, you should be ok.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2448 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Do not part with one red cent - or give any personal info.
skinnyJon
View Profile
New user
Upstate New York
42 Posts

Profile of skinnyJon
They will give you the tickets. You will have to give them 1000 euros to cover delivery costs and income taxes. Congratulations.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Ok...Here's the scam. Like a freakin lightning bolt, it hit me. I forgot about this one entirely.

They are thieves.

They are delivering the tickets to case the house to see what you have of value and check access.
Then all they need to figure out is when you are going to be out of the house in the evening, and how long you are going to be out.

That is where the tickets come into play.

They will know exactly when you are going to be out of the house, and for how long. Heck...They can probably listen to the game on the radio while they are cleaning you out.

Be cautious.
Gwyd
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
It sounds legit if it was in the cinema??
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Maybe this is a sign in your reality that your luck is changing. Maybe you should push a little harder with a certain project or something that would require you to push the limits of coincidence and fate.
Fortune, like misfortune often comes in groups, one often leads to another and on and on. Be aware for more oppertunitys...

Make sure you take your son though, it may have been his good fortune that won you the tickets.
I remember when I was a kid we used to go to a hospital club - my mum was a paramedic - anyway I slipped 50p into a fruitmachine and won the 20 pound jackpot. Which my dad TOOK!!! Wotawankstain... I was only about 8, along time ago. he doesn't remember but I still do, how funny...

May the blessings of an infinite good fortunes rain constanly on you and yours.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I've never won anything in my life...but....VOTE! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL