We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » What will (and should) Criss' "team" do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I have seed posts suggesting we boycott NBC. I have seen posts suggesting we boycott magic stores that sell Criss Angel merchandise. What about the fine magicians who serve as his consultants?

This is truly a question, as I have no clear idea how I feel about the matter, but...

Criss has some of the most respected names associated with his: Banachek, Johnny Thompson, Jeff McBride, Luke Jermay, etc. Wouldn't it be great for some of them to value ethics over the financial and visibility benefits they get from working with Criss?

And should other magicians, in any way, let these folks know there will be negative consequences (albeit very minor), at least in credibility, if they don't take a stand, at least within the magic community?

Something to ponder.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Yes,they should. but this is not going to happen when big money is in play.

and they know they can also count on a herd of sheeps always ready to jump in and defend their heroes by looking at YOU as if you had spoken the worst possible heresy by mentioning their names and by calling them on their actions

if mr.Angel would go suddenly broke and avoided like plague by big TV channels, you would soon see how many of them would part from him: obviously telling you it was not for the lack of money but because 'the guy has changed so much. its not bearable anymore now' .. .. yeah,right!

bring back the money and the big lights,and the guy will be once again an accomplished performer in their eyes
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
If you read the mind-numbing butt-kissing drivel on his Forum and MySpace pages, you can see he truly has a mindless, zombie-like following.

I'm guessing the general public will eventually become burnt-out with Criss. How much can they take?!?
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Derzauber I agree but I think you mislead the subject and I believe you didn't out of wanting to protect those involved magicians:still the point of joshua lozoff is about THOSE MAGICIANS helping mr.Angel and their herds in turn defending them and buying their products anyway- - - - not the public at large who is less responsible if not for following anyone with some mascara on their faces provided they goes primetime on TV
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Please somebody bring me up to speed.

What did Criss Angel do to warrant such a boycott?

Thanks, in advance, for the info.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17539 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2007-11-26 23:06, Mind Guerilla wrote:
Please somebody bring me up to speed.

What did Criss Angel do to warrant such a boycott?

Thanks, in advance, for the info.

Haven't you seen the lists?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Well, here is Team Cri$$ plotting the Phenomenon caper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcWqBuZFPSs
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-26 23:19, Slim King wrote:
Haven't you seen the lists?

No, I haven't.

Is it because of his treatment of Jim Callahan on PHENOMENON or are there other issues?

I'm new here. Please clue me in.

Thanks again.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17539 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Do a search if you have some time..And I see you do....
Criss put the negativity in high gear when he began exposing magic on MF. Go back a few years and many of us were fans..Then the true colors began to come out...There must be DOZENS of negative threads on CA...And for good reason....
Look into the HISTORY of the Café and you will see how it happened..How the tide turned.
If you don't know your history, YOU may make the same mistakes Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2659 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-11-27 07:26, Slim King wrote:
Do a search if you have some time..And I see you do....
Criss put the negativity in high gear when he began exposing magic on MF. Go back a few years and many of us were fans..Then the true colors began to come out...There must be DOZENS of negative threads on CA...And for good reason....
Look into the HISTORY of the Café and you will see how it happened..How the tide turned.
If you don't know your history, YOU may make the same mistakes Smile

(Sigh) I try to be well mannered. I say "Please" and "Thanks" and what do I get in return? A non-reply that says, essentially, " I know something you don't. Nyeah nyeah nyeah nyeah nyeah nyeah! Go look it up yourself, fool."

I suppose it all goes back to how one was raised. In this politically correct age, I guess we must be tolerant of- nay, we should celebrate- how others were brought up. Viva diversity!

I may have a lot of time on my hands but doing a search on "Criss Angel" and "MINDFREAK" would bring up enough hits to keep me staring bleary-eyed at my monitor until mid February. If I had that much time, I might instead be using it to go out of my way to *not* answer my fellow members' questions on the Café. It seems like a popular pasttime, yeah?

Is there anyone else out there who could clue me in? I apologize, in advance, for not knowing the history of the Criss Angel animosity on this board (Well, apart from the fact that he achieved the success and wealth which were rightfully mine!). Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ok - I'll go lucid for a few moments:

1) CA on the first episode exposes PK touches - this was uneeded and actually really bad taste

2) Constantly overtly or subtley compares most performers to himself and shows how he is superior - such as his "ultimate roulette" with a gun - why is this needed except to cause narcistic annoyance?

3) Constantly talks about how he has pioneered mentalist and has shot X number of hours more than anyone and dropped MINDFREAK a gazillion times - even if true - it makes him a blowhard

4) The challenge on Jim - Jim's performance and claims is not much different than others... I won't go into all the threads describing this... but the challenge was made in an antagonistic way - and lets be clear.... Criss Angel is a BIG GUY (it is true!) - JIM is currently no where near his status in terms of fame and money - it just comes across as bullying and Goliath vs. David - what can you do... there were countless ways to do it in a way that would have let Criss appear as a hero to the people of the world... he didn't choose that path... if it was scripted, he and his mentors should have dodged this entire thing IMHO. In the end, it got a lot of people upset in the magic world. I personally liked this as it finally added some drama to the series...

5) CA's own effects can be compated to JC's. I know you think that it is different, but so many threads have already compared a lot of Criss's claims and disclaimers. This can be seen as hypocrisy.

6) CA appeared to be very annoyed with Uri from the start and wouldn't even shake hands etc. for the sake of a performance - it just is bad taste...looks BAD.... and sets himself up for looking like a big sour puss.

In the end, even if Criss was an Angel and was actually doing everything above for the noblest of reasons, it is how it came across in appearance that made many people become disenchanted with him.

Also, I think it gave an opening for many who have other reasons to be angry with him (legit or not) to give vent to these feelings - such as claims of CA ripping off effects from certain Café members (legit or not)....

7) The Envelopes - as I've posted before, the whole setup stank in terms of making it a proper challenge... and if he would use the 911 aspect - he should have made it a proper segment to explain the reasoning - personally, the 911 psychic trap - or any world disaster is a classic for skeptics to attack psychics... but as it came across in 20 seconds, it appeared also that Criss didn't give it proper weight and thus it came across callously.

Oh, my own stance? I think Criss's actions portrayed him as a boor and bully - and although he gave his "warning" what the producers wanted... he was no Simon. The beauty of Simon is he is very charismatic and bang on with most of his comments - and they do not really make him a boor or bully - just someone brutally honest in his assessment of what he sees... he does not compare himself to the performers, he does not give away secrets of others, he does not challenge a performer from left field - and he is always willing to listen to the response from the people he gives feedback too.... and as you likely think I'm crazy - I'll also state Simon comes across as someone who truly loves the art and actually does not mean to wish ill on any contestants...

I'll give Criss this - the show's format was a trap and completely ridiculous to try to emulate an Idol reality show. You and others have already commented on that. Despite this, Uri came across as a gentleman and Criss - not so much....

Again, I am trapped in my own POV and will listen to alternatives because that will help me grasp more a sense of the true reality... whatever that is.

Hope that helps, MG.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
It was the Houdini tribute that tipped me over the edge.

Especially when viewed in tandem with his photographic tribute on his website.

Wonder if that was Banacheks idea?

Corona.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
OOOps... thanks Corona! I forgot about CA's seminude picture of him squatting on Houdini's gravestone... total "school on Sunday"
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I wonder how Mr. 9.5 took them?

Mixed emotions probably.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17539 Posts

Profile of Slim King
LMAO Smile
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
Have any of you ever considered that CA is portrayed exactly the way Houdini was in his time?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Half naked on a tombstone?
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Good point, Tony.

And now for a serious answer -

Karbonkid, you are assuming maybe that we all like Houdini then.

I don't. Actually I dislike most of what Houdini did in his career.

Criss Angel however is way much worse than Houdini. At least Houdini did not need Banachek and others to coach him or to suggest him which answers to give, or yet which magic trick to perform.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
Agreed. However, Houdini up until is last days still claimed to be 'the magician' regardless that his peers and contemporaries knew and thought differently.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not a CA fan, but, I cannot knock his impact on the magic world. And there is no one twisting Banachek or Johnny Thompson's arm to work for him.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17539 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think his impact is BAD for magic and ESPECIALLY mentalism. Houdini didn't run it into the dirt.
How many early consultants are still on the team?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » What will (and should) Criss' "team" do? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL