The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Deans Set in Barbers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Hello everyone, I want to purchase Schoolcrafts Deans Set in Barber halves. This will be my first time using barber halves. I have heard MANY good things about this coin and wanted some advice and help. I hear they are very soft but I don't want them to be extremely soft to the point where you see nothing. I just want them somewhat in between. What do you guys think? Would this be possible? How soft are your barbers? I have seen a GREAT picture of barbers that just look absoloutely beautiful. They looked just the way I wanted them. Please post your pictures of your sets here as I would be very interested in seeing them. Thank you very much for your time.

Art
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
If your going for inbetween id go walkers, barbers are very old... and very very soft commonly
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Thank you Joshua for the advice. I was really having a hard time deciding on walkers of barbers. I already have a walkers expanded set but they are uncirculated and wanted to try for something in between. Hmmmm, which one to go for. Man, I just hate choosing. I will eventually get both. Are you saying that when I receive the barbers they will look very used? Or will they look new but old? If that makes sense lol.

Art
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Art,

Here's a set I used to own by Schoolcraft:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/......bers.jpg

This set was a Dean's set plus matching flipper and C/S coin. As you can see, they have great definition, while being VERY soft.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Beautiful!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Rutabaga, that is the set that I was talking about!!! That is the beautiful set that I saw in a post but I could never find it again. Thank you sooo much. How did you order it? I mean what did you tell Jamie when you ordered them that makes them look like that? Did you just tell him you wanted Barbers and that's all? I want a set just like that. That is the most beautiful set of barbers I've seen! Please tell me,I would greatly appreciate it. I just LOVE the way those barbers look. Lol I'm going crazy here because they are just wonderful. I thank you for your help. And also everyone else.

Art
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Art,

Jamie makes great gaffs, and knows what good coins are. I specifically asked for coins with the same date and matching patina. That's it. I DID have to be patient while Jamie sourced the coins [+ 2 months] , but as you can see it's a beautiful product.

Personally though I found that the shaved down coins felt just that minute bit too small in my hands. Hard to believe I know! [I'm moving to an unexpanded Morgan set instead]....

If you have the patience, give either Todd or Jamie a call [don't email]. You'll get just what you want! I hope you'll post a pic when you get them!
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Thank you very much for your help Rutabaga. I can't wait to order these and I will be sure to put up photos of the set. Is there anyone else that has picture of their barbers to put up? I would like to see others as well. Again, thank you very much for your help!

Art
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4950 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I owe a set of fantastic Dean Set in Barbers from Schoolcraft and they are the best coin gaffs I have. Its sometimes difficult to find the coin with the shell. Its almost invisible. This set is a true lifetime investment.
If you compare this set with a "normal" set, this is a great leap forward to perfection in coin gaff making. If you perform a lot of coin magic this is the way to go...sure!
If I could turn back time I would bought this set when I was a young junior, that should changed my magic career a lot, sure.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4950 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Kjellstrom, thanks for sharing! Man, that is another wonderful set. I can't even notice that the [ is on the coin. Did you just buy this set? I hear that Barbers are smaller than Kennedy's. I've read some posts and they say that they are thinner, but are they smaller in diameter?

Art
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Sorry let me be more clear. Are NORMAL Barbers smaller than normal Kennedy's in diameter? I would like to know because if the barbers are smaller then that would mean that since this is a Dean's Set that they would have to shave down the coin even more, making it smaller.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
4950 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Yes I bought this set directly from Schoolcraft. Very speedy to shipping to europe.
Very easy to palm, Barber Half Dollars -"In god we trust".
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1276 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
The original diameter of half dollars are very close:

Barber: 30.6mm

Walking Liberty: 30mm

Franklin: 30mm

Kennedy: 31mm

You'll find a barber is considerably thinner than other half dollar coins [good for some things Smile ]
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I have a nice bunch of Barbers but no gaffs as I do prefer the Liberty in looks. The Barbers are thinner which can aid in some coin box type tricks!
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Thank you rutabaga, the diameters are almost the same, which I think is a good thing. Mickey, so the are you saying the Barbers are better to use and the Walking Liberty's are better for their looks? I usually only use Deans Set of Morgan dollars or Kennedy halves. But now I think its time for me to try different types of coins because it gets boring using the same coins. I think WL look very nice, but so do Barbers. I have not bought anything from Lassen because I am pleased with what Jamie offers. But out of curiosity, if you guys had a choice of going for Lassen's Expanded Shell Set or the Dean's set, which would you go for and why? I did see the thread comparing Jamies expanded shell set, Dean's set, and Lassens expanded shell set but they were mostly just comparing Jamies expanded and Todds expanded shells. I am wondering about Deans set and Lassens expanded. Thank you everyone for the help!

Art
Starromeo
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Starromeo
I got deans set walking liberty, and it is great!
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
I have walking liberties but they are uncirculated. They are very beautiful but now I think I'm going to give barbers a try.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
782 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I am also in the process of getting the barber deans set and cant waite for them to get here. Will post pic then. Cheers PT
Close up coin magic.
Check us out on Facebook under , Copper Silver coins by PT
Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Hey everyone, I received my barber's a while ago from another magician and they are wonderful! I really really like them. Twocan, you will not regret it! Good luck.

Art
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Deans Set in Barbers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL