The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
I wandered into Wal-Mart with my brother, looking for a new deck of cards. It had been awhile since I had blissfully fanned a new air-finished pack of bikes and I was in the mood. After purchasing one of those 'two-decks for the price of one' boxes, I took my bag and started for the door.

Now, outside my Wal-Mart here in Central PA, there are usually always local charities standing outside for donations. I usually give what I have available, but today I had an urge to do something different. A member of a local dance studio was standing there with a large Folger's coffee-can. The little-girl holding the can was probably about six or seven, her cheeks red from the cold. She smiled at me, and asked if I'd like to donate to the studio. I smiled as I dug in my pockets. My left hand gently classic palmed two quarters resting near the bottom. I produced one from each of her ears, my reward a toothy grin. The adult with the girl and her few friends that were there laughed and said, "See, honey, just like magic!!" A short laugh was had by the few of us, and I took two more ones from my pocket and gave them to the girl. "Thank you very, very much!" she said. I walked away towards the car, but about when I was half-way there, I heard the clicking of high-heels pursuing me. The little girl's mother aproached me and thanked me. She said that two weeks ago the girl had lost her father in a car accident, and hadn't realy smiled or laughed since. We traded names, and she asked me for a business card, which I gave her. After profusely thanking me again, she returned to the children.

This is magic. This is what I learn, practice and refine for. Never before, during any other performance, have I been so pleased. I am always overjoyed at breaking poeple away from their reality for a little while, giving them something to think about, a laugh, distancing them from their problems, if only for just a little while.

This is magic.

Happy Holidays to you all,

Monte
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Even brief moments like these are meant to be treasured.

Happy Holidays.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Monte, that is a fantastic story. That is also why I like magic. To help people, if only for a moment, take a break from the daily "grind" of things that life throws their way.

You definitely earned your gold star for the day!

Mark.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
That was a great story! Both of you were benefited, and that's what Christmas is all about.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
One moment like that makes a lifetime of practice and rehearsal all worth it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Great story; a magician friend of mine was performing once & tells a similar story. he used a boy volunteer who, unknown to him, was autistic. However he got through the routine fine without realising or showing the boy was autistic. The mother went up to him afterwards with a similar heart-warming story of how this was the first time in ages that the boy had smiled, and in his case, interacted with people in a 'normal' way. The boy was feeling 6' tall because of this experience and how positive it had been.
mrsmiles
(UK)
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Thank you for that Monte!
Happy Holidays to you as well!
Mick
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Thank you all, for ALL of your kind words. And I really think Photius summed it up best----

One moment like that makes a lifetime of practice and rehearsal all worth it.

Best,

Monte
acetucker
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of acetucker
Wow. Thanks for that story. It was truly great. Now I can see what magic is all about.

Happy Chrismahannuhkwanzica!
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
Thank You For That Story. It Seems That in today's world that some of us forgot that Magic is about entertainment! and fun! Not just who can fool each other or be a David Blane! Reading your story made me smile! Thank You.
The Magical World of Jardini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL