The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Darwin Ortiz - The Ephemeral Lecture Notes 2007 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
These were the notes for the brilliant lecture by Darwin Ortiz at last week's International Magic Convention in London. He was very entertaining and informative. He also had a lot of fun with the spectators he chose.

The lecture notes contain 4 effects all of which are excellent.

Beyond Collecting - Three cards are selected and lost in the deck. The four aces then magically appear face up in the deck. A moment later, the selections materialize between the aces.

This effect demonstrates the application of Ortiz's theory of the critical moment and is intended to remove the method so far from the critical moment that the spectators will say, "But he didn't do anything." Its a stunner. Perfect faro required.

Passing Through - For of a kind are lost in one half of the deck which is shuffled by a spectator. The performer turns the other half face up. He then shuffles the two halves together, pushing on half through the other. the four of a kind are now found together, face down in the middle of the face up half, having been caught in the process.

Beautiful. The psychology of pushing the halves through each other to make the magic is very elegant. Contains a switch that seems easy at first but is very hard to get smooth. Also, a pinkie count, while not essential, certainly helps.

Hard Target - Two spectators select cards and return them to the deck. (Both the process of selecting the cards and losing them in the deck is exceptionally fair.) The performer shuffles the two red jacks into the deck and traps the selection between them. He then tosses the jacks into the deck and catches the second selection between them.

I love this. I've spend about 2 hours today practicing this and making myself smile every time the second selection is found. Perfect faros required. If you don't do a faro this will make you learn.

Test Your Luck - A spectator names any card. She then inserts a random card into the deck. In the process, she locates the card she had named.

Its that clean. I spent another two hours today practicing this. Again the psychology of the timing of moves is wonderful.

One thing I haven't attempted to convey is the rich stories that made these effects into entertaining and magical experiences. Stories of Robin Hood, Samurai swords, gangsters in restaurants and superstitious gamblers. I wouldn't dream of attempting to repeat them. They belong to the man.

If you get the chance to see Darwin Ortiz lecture, no matter how far you have to travel, sell your last goat to raise the transport money if you have to. Even if the effects described above don't sound like your cup of tea you will learn a lot about how to structure a performance and take away advice that you will immediately apply to your art.
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
And...

last night I performed Hard Target. As Mr Ortiz predicted, at the moment you toss the red Jacks into the deck to trap the second selection I heard someone say "No way!?". They went nuts. One of the strongest reactions I've ever had.
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
I'm lucky enough to own The Ephemeral Notes. All 4 routines are beautifully constructed. I'm especially impressed by Beyond Collecting. IMO it is a huge improvement over all other Collector routines I know. All the issues I don't like about most Collector routines had been addressed beautifully. Too bad I don't have a chance to see the man himself perform these routines.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5133 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Where can I buy the notes?
Darwin Ortiz should do an ebook from this notes and then let us buy and download it, directy! I think many cardicians want to owe it!
Nikodemus Siivola
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
39 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus Siivola
If I understood correctly they're called Ephemeral exactly because you can only get them by attending the lecture.
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
"If I understood correctly they're called Ephemeral exactly because you can only get them by attending the lecture."

He didn't mention that but it makes sense.

I've been learning Beyond Collecting and absolutely agree with KLG. It make use of Joshua Jay's faro ribbonspread hideout. A great idea that I imagine could have many neat applications.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I saw Darwin perform Beyond Collecting at a friend's 60th birthday party. Not only was I completely stunned, but gasps from the spectator's standing and sitting around the table were a testament to how powerful this effect is for both laymen and magicians.

I saw him lecture about a month after that, and boy was I glad to get my hands on those notes. There's only one Darwin!
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Wow. Imagine being lucky enough to have Darwin Ortiz perform at your birthday party.
joakimsan
View Profile
New user
Sweden
37 Posts

Profile of joakimsan
I have the lecture notes and have been working on Beyond collecting but can't get the joshua jay's ribbon spread hideout to work. Do you have tips?

I attended his lecture when he was in Sweden a couple of month ago. He's a really great performer!

A fun note: I asked Darwin to sign one of my decks and he was of course happy to do it. I then asked him to hold on to my deck so that I could take it from him. I now use that box in my stolen deck routine and I can honestly say I took it from a real magician! He started laughung when I explaind that to him and wished me good luck!

Joakim
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Hi Joakim,

Can't say I have anything as solid as a tip as I haven't cracked the ribbon spread myself but I can share my thoughts....

I noticed that Darwin put a strong lengthwise bow in the deck as he spread it, like you would do with a pressure fan (do people call this a "pressure spread" or is there another name perhaps?) I've been trying the same and its much better but requires a smooth timing between the cards springing off the hand with the arm moving the deck across the table. I think that this approach, if mastered, probably produces the best result. Just my theory.

I have, however, been trying another approach. In a normal spread you use the index finger on the side of the deck to spread the cards out but if you do this you are in danger of squooshing the leftmost layer towards the rightmost layer. If instead you use the index finger to push firmly down on middle of the top of the deck as you spread every card is getting the same treatment (if you see what I mean). Your thumb on the inside-short-end and middle finger on the outside-short-end act almost as normal but perhaps play more of a role in adjusting the "flow" of the cards as well as keeping the spread even.

I don't know if this makes sense. It may have nothing to do with the problem you are having. I'm also very happy to be corrected by someone who can do this move well.

Good luck with it Smile

S
joakimsan
View Profile
New user
Sweden
37 Posts

Profile of joakimsan
I also noticed that with Darwin's handling. I should have asked him when I met him! Thanks anyway for your thoughts.

J
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
919 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Darwin uses the ribbonspread move in his "Ultimate Oil & Water" routine in Scams & Fantasies. You can see him do it on vol. 1 of the DVD set.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Thanks for tipping the method. No I don't need to buy the notes. Thanks so much, you guys!
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
At his lecture last year, Darwin mentioned that those notes are the ONLY place "Beyond Collecting" is taught, and the fact that he was not planning to publish it anywhere else in the near future, which makes it an underground gem for those who have it. (Sigh) I'm kind of sad to see such an intense discussion of it going on here,lol!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
OK, ASW and DStachowiak,

I'm sorry that you think that anything has been tipped in this discussion that anyone who does not have the notes would be able to decode. I'd like to hear, privately, from you some explanation of why you think that is true. I haven't posted much in this forum and am happy to learn where the limits lie. Personally I believe that I've made every effort to discuss only in terms that someone with the notes would understand.

I may be wrong however. ASW, for one, believes that I have somehow let slip enough that he does not need to obtain the notes. If so I apologize and will ask that the moderators remove my post.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Stuart,
Please notice that my post was appended with a laugh (lol)
This was bound to come out, it's too good to remain underground for very long. I greedily hoped that the only people who would know this trick would be people who attended Darwin's lecture, but I know that's not possible. Please don't take my wishful thinking as a criticism.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I picked these up at A Day With Darwin back in July. There's some good stuff here, but he puts a lot of focus on the Faro Shuffle. My roommate couldn't do it, so basically daydreamed during the tricks part of the workshop. If you can't do the move, these aren't going to do you much good.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
"Test your luck" is my favourite, really enjoyed the presentation.

No doubt that this notes will be the delight of all faro workers. In my view the only problem with Darwin Ortiz material is that some effects cannot be put in the same session together with other effects due to similarity in the method or the effect, for example "The cross" and "Darwins poker deal" from Cardshark.-In my view "Beyond collecting" is another take on "beyond sleight of hand" from Cardshark.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
You probably wouldn't want to perform "Beyond Sleight of Hand" and " Beyond Collecting" in the same set, however, the first time I saw Darwin perform "Beyond Collecting", it was so strong that I didn't make the connection between the two effects even after having studied "Beyond Sleight of Hand".
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
I saw Darwin perform these routines as well as another one at a lecture of his I attended. They were great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Darwin Ortiz - The Ephemeral Lecture Notes 2007 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL