The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Skull of Cagliostro? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Does anyone have this and would be willing to comment? It seems like a basic little trick but I like the look of the props.

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=838
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
The props in the photo look too "magic shop" slick to me,
and not "bizarre real". This seems a common problem now.
My two-cents,
Walt
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You could easily do a "grandmother's necklace" release using a genuine human skull and running the ropes through the eye holes. You could also go crazy and give them some "Sefalaljia" rope linking effects with a red and white rope (as in The Wizards' Journal #10). Aw, why not go all the way and link an antique finger ring on and off the ropes at the same time. Then make the skull blow out a candle.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Slartibartfast...By all means BUY the trick so the maker creator can get his that he earned and deserves then if you like I can fashion up some realistic looking prop that will allow for the effect. Not a full skull...not necessary but something hand friendly.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Take Doug up on his offer,
buy the commercial version,
then have him "higleyfy" it,
and you'll have a one-of-a-kind miracle!

My two-cents,
Walt
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Or not. haha
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, MS
589 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
"Higleyfy"

I like that!

AT
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I have this, though I don't remember where the heck it came from. . .

Anyway, the skull is okay. The scroll is hokey, but that's easily remedied by re-making your own. The trick itself is something you probably already know. There are some incredible versions of this out there. Dean Dill's comes to mind right away.

I like the idea of "Higleyfying" it and using Dean's method, though the hole through the skull would need to be bigger than the one in the supplied prop.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Maybe look to the Netsuke and Inro box for some inspiration on this effect. These are small Japanese figurines that can be found in antique shops and on the net. They were worn as a clothing ornament and have holes similar to that of the above mentioned skull except they are either on the under or backside of the piece. Find a nice piece of cord or ribbon and weave a story...
I have a small monk boy figurine made of ebony with a red ribbon I got years ago. They are very magical object within there own right...
Now if you mix the effect with the Inro box then you have some very nice storylines. The figures come in a plethora of designs from the zodiac signs to dragon and animals so you can adapt to your act... anyway just a few ideas to get you thinking...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Or get an animal skull and use Jumbo cards Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
So is this a Grandmother's necklace type of thing? I cannot find anything specific about what the illusion is.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
"The skull magically frees itself after being bound by two silken cords." That seems pretty specific to me.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
I prefer Dean Dill's cords fro Nana's Necklace and a full-sized skull. This is what we used for a television shoot (taped in February 07) and I've added to live performances since then.

I also use my own storyline as the whole scroll/Cagliostro thing doesn't fit what I do.

Chris
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Bead stores sometimes have small skulls that could be used for a Grandmother's necklace type effect. These skulls are carved and while they may look crude, they are less magic shop prop-looking perhaps.

Other things like Egyptian scarabs or some sort of magickal-looking bead might be used also.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Here in the southwest, at least, many curio shops have stuff related to "Dia de los Muertos" (Day of the Dead), and tiny skulls and skeletons are all over the place. I have a skeleton riding a bike in my windowsill. It is a major Mexican/Hispanic tradition, and the figures always have a very authentic hand-carved look, which would be perfect. Just do a Google Images search and you will see.

Seth
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Quote:
On 2007-11-29 08:58, Mark Raven wrote:
I have this, though I don't remember where the heck it came from. . .

Anyway, the skull is okay. The scroll is hokey, but that's easily remedied by re-making your own. The trick itself is something you probably already know. There are some incredible versions of this out there. Dean Dill's comes to mind right away.

I like the idea of "Higleyfying" it and using Dean's method, though the hole through the skull would need to be bigger than the one in the supplied prop.

Mark

Is it the principle is based on this one as shown in the photo?

http://themagicwarehouse.com/BE2774/Oddball.html

Thanks.

Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Andrew,

Are you speaking of the "basic version" that is a part of this effect or Mr. Dill's version?

The Dean Dill version is a different M.O. that allows you to do other things that are not normally done via the standard or basic version. Most importantly for me, I start with the skull in the center of the table and one cord resting on either side of the skull.

That being said, the basic version creates a very strong illusion that can be enhanced through the use of other props ranging from keepsake boxes to people.

Using something that is charm or knick-knack sized such as the miniature skull is fine as long as it fits your presentation. We opted to use a full-sized skull because it plays bigger for both the camera and a medium to large audience.

Chris
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
You can find Dean Dill's version in Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond and I am not sure its even original with him. No jab intended at anyone. There all great guys.
Roni
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Roni
I bought it and forgot it. Not what I'd want in my bizarre act
Cheers
Roni
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 13:49, RCP wrote:
You can find Dean Dill's version in Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond and I am not sure its even original with him. No jab intended at anyone. There all great guys.

Are you referring to "Linked" as the inspiration for Dean's Box or something else? I have Worlds Beyond and don't recall a version of Grandmother's Necklace that uses the same M.O. as Nana's Necklace, but maybe I missed it.

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Skull of Cagliostro? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL