The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Answered prayers for a light weight sound system? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Just ran across this and was wondering if anyone here on the Café has any experience with the new Bose L1 Model II System?

It looks so light to carry which has always been my major complaint about most sound systems/mixers.

Could this be the Holy Grail of sound systems? http://www.tinyurl.com/siwg

Lyndel
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Well, it certainly looks interesting, and the single-pole speaker array might be less visibly intrusive than the usual "speakers-on-stands" setup. The single sound source arrangement might also be good for a mono voice-only PA-type application.

But at 65 pounds, it's hardly lightweight (30 lbs. for the two speakers and 35 lbs. for the power stand), and that doesn't include the recommended optional bass box, which adds another 25 pounds and makes four pieces of equipment to carry around instead of one. Even a Fender Passport 500 only weights 52 pounds, and it is a one-piece unit. Finally, the basic Bose system costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,000-$2,600, depending upon the options selected, versus about $1400 for the Passport 500.

BTW, I'm not saying the Passport is better than the Bose, since I've never heard or used either system. I just selected the Passport 500 at random because it is a fairly well-known PA system and seemed to be comparable (Bose does not publish power specs for its new system, so the wattage for it isn't available).

It will be interesting to hear from someone who has purchased and actually used this system. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
James_Lee
View Profile
New user
Ohio
33 Posts

Profile of James_Lee
I used the L1 model I, installed in a really nice hall that was fairly good size, 300 person wedding, with a large dance floor in the center. I was using it for DJing, not magic and it had no problem filling the hall with music and I had plenty of overhead to push the music even more, if needed. I have considered using them for DJing but they are on the expensive side. The sound though is really nice.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3499 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I love Bose,
in my mind they can do no wrong,
they can cost a bit,
but I've never found the sound quality matched,
even with groups of 200 to 300,
for the size and weight of their units.
My thoughts,
Walt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Answered prayers for a light weight sound system? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL