The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What's the Best Live Bunny Production? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Then you saw me perform tricks for the first time. I like to try new effects out at SAM because it is a rough crowd (magicians).

It's also tough competing in a children's contest when there are only 5 kids and 50 adults. (A good stage show won mainly because it appeals to adults.)

Maybe next year I'll do my rabbit act.
Dennis Michael
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
My favorite bunny production is Balloon to Rabbit. It sounds like the one Ken was talking about where a Balloon pops and a rabbit appears, but mine is called Balloon to Rabbit. It looks like a circus wagon.

I have done Doves to Rabbit, usually for my repeat shows or bigger shows. The kids seem to say the doves are under the box. I try to convince them they aren't, but they never seem to guess the Balloon to Rabbit. I also do a bit with the needle through balloon before turning it into a bunny.

The Test Tube Bunny Tom Trix mentioned is pretty cool. I did a few tricks with a friend of mine for a charity show once and he did the Test Tube Bunny. I still laugh everytime I think about this trick. Maybe it is just me, but I never laughed so hard as when the bunny appeared in that tube. It looked like he needed to be squirted out like tooth paste from a toothpaste tube. I bring it up all the time to him and just start laughing over it. At first I thought he made that up from some old tube, but he assured me it was a bunny production. I hope you get the same reaction I gave when you do this trick, Tom. That is a funny prodution!!

Shawn
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hey Rich,

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you. I’ve PM’ed you a specific answer. But a general answer (in addition to Den’s great advice above) on bags and the length of time the Rabbit can be safely placed in the bag really depends on the material of the bag or the nature of the bag.

One of my bags holds a rather large (OK, HUGE) rabbit. It was made with a mesh area near the rabbit’s face. The bunny can stay comfortable in that particular bag for an hour or two. She breathes very easily and sits very comfortably in that particular bag.

Don’t forget they are burrowing animals and are used to being in tight, dark places.

I agree that, in a Kid’s show particularly, the production of the rabbit should be your final trick! Producing it in the kid’s hands is a great idea. However, the child may think that the rabbit is being produced for him/her and want to take it home (to the parents dismay!). You may have a minor dispute with a kid over this!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

There are several trends of thoughtshere in regards to when the rabbit is produced.

If a rabbit is produced it can also be vanished. Later it can be brought back to be petted.

If produced early, then it establishes you as a "real magician" and it does make the show more exciting. Hopefully, you have a powerful ending. In my shows I have a lot of kids who participate in a comedy milk pitcher routine or on stage. The Wiz-Kote always goes over well and can be a nice ending.

If produced at the end of the show out of a hat then it leaves the audience with a powerful lasting impression.

My favorite method is to use it as a running gag. "And now for the world's most famous trick, you know the one... it's where the magician snaps his fingers, says the magic word. (Magic word) reaches inside and out pops a flat rabbit." Next time a "spring skunk" a "spring rabbit or raccoon", or "stuffed animal", "silk picture with a rabbit" (whatever each time). The last time they all say the magic word and a real rabbit appears. This seems to be very powerful and anticipation is heightened.
Dennis Michael
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
139 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
James,

I found the description to the Elusive Bunny Box production at Abbott's web site. The elusive URL is:

http://www.abbottmagic.com/pdf/livestock.pdf

It is on page 14 in this PDF file, which requires Adobe Acrobat. PM me if you don't have Adobe Acrobat and need info on downloading the free version.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Jimo
View Profile
New user
Bristol
18 Posts

Profile of Jimo
I would never use anything live in a show. I think it is cruel.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi, Jimo,

Based on?

Phillip
Redneck
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redneck
Quote:
On 2003-02-26 11:02, DenDowhy wrote:
I still like the "Rabbit Out of the Hat" as the best and classic method.

I have and used:
    [b]
  • Dove to Rabbit Cage (Don't need Doves)
  • Rabbit Washer
  • Rabbit Wringer

Hi, I have the Rabbit Wringer but have never worked out a clever presentation. Can you tell me how you present it? What's the reason for wringing him out? Thanks.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Harry:

Could you describe the construction of your rabbit bag??

--Zack
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
130 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
"Best" is a relative term. Out of a hat has the strongest impact with audiences. A "balloon to bunny box" or Bunny Box (the kind where a slate picture turns into a bunny) are good options because they are self-contained and you can defer loading the bunny into the compartment until the last minute, which is critical in hot summer weather.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I use the Pet Shop Production.

It is a great trick with two nesting boxes. Both are shown clearly empty with the outer box having a doorway and windows so you can see through to the inside.

The fact that you DROP the inner box into the outer box with a load thump really sells the fact that the box is empty.

Jimo...
I think you are right that so many livestock productions are REALLY cruel. I have seen so many dodgy animal performers around the traps and it always makes me sick to see the way that people treat their animals.

However, a much loved performing animal will be happy and live a longer life then a normal pet or a wild bunny because good performers look after their animals (they are, after all, out livelihood).
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Quote:
I have the Rabbit Wringer but have never worked out a clever presentation. Can you tell me how you present it? What's the reason for wringing him out?

Just because it's called a wringer rabbit box it doesn't mean one has to "wringer" the rabbit. Yes, it works well with my one rabbit that has a dirty face, ears, and feet. I put him in the rabbit washer and change him into a white clean rabbit and I now can wringer him dry. I place the flat rabbit into my bunny box or Duck/Rabbit bucket and pump it full of air reproducing the third rabbit. It is larger than the one I disappeared because I blew him up too much!

The three step process involved three different effects and is usually beyond the "problem solving thinking" of the kids.

Now, if you don't have three rabbits and want to use this wringer box by itself. Use the motivation for flatening the rabbit for a means of transporting the rabbit from place to place. First, put a bouquet of flowers in the box and produce flat flowers It sets the thinking in line for mailing flowers, just add water, or something similar. Now put the rabbit in the box flaten him and it makes it easy to carry on airplanes, in restaurants, etc. Put the flat rabbit in your pocket. Show the box empty then when you want to reproduce him put the flat rabbit back into the wringer and now you have instant new rabbit.

Generally the wringer rabbit box works best with another trick and a second rabbit.

Also, I have a specially made combo Abbotts set which includes a Bambo Box. I place the rabbit and a silk in the wringer tip over type box and the rabbit comes out printed on the silk. I place the silk in the bambo box and when I pull the silk out of the top of the box, it is missing the rabbit printed on it. Where is the rabbit, in the Bambo box.
Dennis Michael
Jester
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Jester
I use an effect similar to the Pet Shop production described above.

Just a couple of notes: Over the years, whenever I've tried to produce a rabbit, my main problem has been to keep the movement of the rabbit invisible while it's in the load chamber. There's nothing more disruptive than to have your night club table start shaking by itself during the middle of an act because the rabbit is kicking its hind legs!

However, I've learned that any effect in which a rabbit has room to move a little and yet is still enclosed by a solid structure usually works well.

By the way, rabbits are not moles, and anyone who thinks they like to be tightly confined for anything more than a few seconds is very misguided. Why do you think we keep them in a pen instead of in a coffee can?
Smile
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I have created and designed one of the most beautiful and elegant animal production boxes to date after some exhaustive research to confirm this fact.

I am submitting the details and images to Chance Wolf to help me iron out a few more details on it. Please PM me if you would like to view it before I make it generally available.

It comes in a natural wood stain finish with a clear lacquer seal, chrome handles and latches.

No false compartments, mirrors or base principals used. No trick latches, you can clearly see thru the box.

Let's see what Chance says...?
rr
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hopefully, NOT a live birth of a baby bunny rabbit. If so, your magic show might become a "birds and the bees show and tell".

Now how did you do THAT, Mr Magician?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I used a balloon to bunny but I felt the rabbit was in shock when it burst. Now I use a large mirror box.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2003-06-11 13:29, Jester wrote:
I use an effect similar to the Pet Shop production described above.

Just a couple of notes: Over the years, whenever I've tried to produce a rabbit, my main problem has been to keep the movement of the rabbit invisible while it's in the load chamber. There's nothing more disruptive than to have your night club table start shaking by itself during the middle of an act because the rabbit is kicking its hind legs!

However, I've learned that any effect in which a rabbit has room to move a little and yet is still enclosed by a solid structure usually works well.

By the way, rabbits are not moles, and anyone who thinks they like to be tightly confined for anything more than a few seconds is very misguided. Why do you think we keep them in a pen instead of in a coffee can?
Smile

Almost a year ago but...

Your right, you certainly couldn't let a rabbit live in a confined space.

Luckily, since rabbits are burrowing animals, like moles etc. they don't panic or get stressed if they are in a SMALL space. They will if they are confined or uncomfortable squashed into a small space.

The rule of thumb is, if the rabbit can't sit normally and turn around then your space is too small. This is the rule that my vet as well as the president of the RSPCA here in Australia have both told me is the rule used to determine the size of animal transport boxes.

Also, you should raise your rabbit from a baby so it is USED to being in certain spaces and environments. E.g. don't catch a wild rabbit and take it to kid's parties!
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I use Morrissey Magic Toronto Canada rabbit pan, this one is quite high all around, so the bunny sits very comfortable. It is constructed from aluminum which is quite light. I bored a large hole in the big knob on the lid for air.

Some years back Kovari had his ribbon fountain in the Gen Magazine, which is the same in Eric Sharp's routine.

Another routine with the pan is: I would produce a flat rabbit from the hat, place it in the pan and use a balloon pump with a long rubber tube attached to pump up the bunny through the hole in the cover.

Another production I use is the break down vanish. I do the trick in reverse and then produce the rabbit. A la Poz.

Richard Lyn --Tricky Ricky
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
OK, there is a new box out that looks great!!!

it is called the Kaboom Box.

Basically, you place three 260 balloons into/thru a very decorative box . They pop and instantly a rabbit appears. The appearances of the rabbit really looks great.

Ken
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Another new one, Chance's new "Funhouse" looks great. Go to http://www.wolfsmagic.com to check it out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What's the Best Live Bunny Production? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL