The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Diary of destiny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Number One
View Profile
Regular user
Mike J Kelly
164 Posts

Profile of Number One
Hi Garrad

I also alerted the seller without response.

Mike
Smile Guess which hand the frog is in.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
In this case as the actions of the spectator are monitored by the performer then the only failure would be by the performer, either by making a mistake or not knowing possible outcomes.

Are you serious? The possible outcomes of a spectator selecting a card, then later saying what it is are 1 in 54 (any one of the 53 cards, and the "I forgot") only one fits the context of most effects, outside of that the magicians has 3 choices, 10 have an out, 2) fail, 3) and the least responsible and most amaturish thing to do, correct the spectator.

I agree that you have made people aware of the outcomes, but if you have duplicate part of a commercial manuscript without permission in a public forum, you're not number one, you're number two.

Tony Iacoviello
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
We are sorry that you have found some flaws within the workings, and you've made it clear you are unhappy...

Like I said, I myself have never experienced what you are saying, and the same goes for many others also. If we had known then I assure you that the proper outs etc would have been fully thought out and included.

I have multiple ways of performing this routine, maybe one of the other ways would be more suited to you. On my part, the best I can do is to offer you a couple of additional handlings... well one in particular you may like, but it is quite a bit different from the original routine.

I have been sitting here shuffling and dealing shuffling and dealing shuffling and dealing and for me your outcome jut never appears.
magiclee
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magiclee
Where are you guy's getting your calendars?
I need one that would fit into a breast pocket, or jacket pocket.

Thank's,
magiclee
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Maybe others who have experienced these issues could come forward, as ive only heard nice things about it.
Number One
View Profile
Regular user
Mike J Kelly
164 Posts

Profile of Number One
Y2John
Hey don't get me wrong when the effect works as written it is fine trick and gets good reactions.

The only parts of the manuscript I have quoted does not reveal the workings of the effect but highlights the statements to be untrue. There is no way round this and the manuscript, download or hard copy needs to be amended.

Tony Iacoviello What are you going on about, if you have the effect then you should know that the spectator does not select a card and the only thing required is that the spectator deals the cards correctly. If the spectator does not deal correctly the effect does not work so by your statement.
1) You need an out (Please read all posts)
2) Yes you will fail. (He was a poor magician)
3) Quote: 'most amaturish thing to do, correct the spectator'
Back to 1 or 2.

Mike
Number One
View Profile
Regular user
Mike J Kelly
164 Posts

Profile of Number One
Magiclee

There is a nice diary in 'Smiths' in the UK £4.50 Black bound about 3" x 4" x 1/2"
one day per page.

Mike
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
Tony Iacoviello What are you going on about, if you have the effect then you should know that the spectator does not select a card and the only thing required is that the spectator deals the cards correctly. If the spectator does not deal correctly the effect does not work so by your statement.
1) You need an out (Please read all posts)
2) Yes you will fail. (He was a poor magician)
3) Quote: 'most amaturish thing to do, correct the spectator'
Back to 1 or 2.

Quote:
<As for not performing effects that have the possibility of failure though, anytime a spectator is involved, regardless of how foolproof the method, there is a chance of failure. People make mistakes, heck, anytime I’m involved; there is an increased probability of failure.>

In this case as the actions of the spectator are monitored by the performer then the only failure would be by the performer, either by making a mistake or not knowing possible outcomes.

I used a card example as the numbers are easy to understand, it was obvious that I was not speaking of this effect. And your comment went beyond this effect, at least which is how I read and responded to it. (You were responding to my generic magic statement.)

As for you're reprinting parts of the manuscript here, self-justification aside; you are wrong, legally, morally, and ethically.

And yes, I have read all posts and am still convinced of Number Two.

Devilix. report his post as a viloation of copywrite law and the rules here at the Café, it will be removed.

Tony
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
Thanks MR Iacoviello, this is what I did.

I have been thinking about the 36 'problem' and in fact, its not at all. I think it could improve the effect.

Think about it. Let see they got 36 the first time. Since there is no 36 in a month, I will ask you do it again. Hopefully, you will get a different result and they will have a different result.

You, without touching the cards, force them a different results. Same procedure, nothing change. This only add to the fairness of the method. How do you want them to think its have been forced with 2 different results like this? You will tell them how fair it was and they will believe you without hesitation.

What he was saying was a weakness is in fact a Strenght...

Thanks

Devilix
sman
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of sman
First I would like to say I love this effect. I have been working with it for several days now and have not performed for the public to date. I have use every s###### I know and I have arrived at 36 5 times so far. I also got 18 three times. I will keep doing this effect until I know what the possible results are going to be. Outs will be used for those undesirable results. I agree with Dr. Spektor. It just makes things more exciting for me to come up with unique and interesting outs for the spectator.

Skip
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
What is to say you can't find a way to put the card which is on the 18th in a place for an out...like your wallet, their pocket etc...could lead for a stronger ending and you cover 18 and 36...it's hard as my actual handling isn't in the manuscript, as only a few of my ideas made it in, as the effect is primarily Benoits, I just did what I always do with effects, and take them and make them my own
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-09 15:49, Number One wrote:
... If you want to perform magic leaving the result to chance then by all means do so. I don't.

Mike:

My comment points out that anything you perform has "chance" involved.
That is what I was going on about. Smile

Tony
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Skip

It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to reach 18 three times.

It is impossible for spectator to ever end up with February 18th. 50 minus 18 = 32.

The only combo for reds and blacks in that neighborhood can be 16 and 16, which is impossible. There are no "difference of two" combinations. 14 and 16 gives you 30 and 18 and 16 gives you 34. As you see, Feb 18th is impossible.

Correct me if I wrong but some of you MUST be doing something wrong.
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Yeah... ive been trying to come to the results stated and just can't.

Like Christopher Williams my actual personal handling is not in the manuscript either, this is due to the effect not being mine to change etc.

We've given you the means to perform this, and then you will come up with your own variations etc.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
SOunds like there is potential for a DiarieS of Destinies - a companion book or eBook that collects a bunch of presentations and handlings for this effect.... sounds like a fun project... if you fellows at Precision Magic plan to do such a thing, count me in for a Mizzare contribution!

Thanks to the Precision Magic people, I got the gist of the method - it is great... and I'll be working this up like wild... and as mentioned, I'll be sad when they don't hit a 36 Smile....

By the way, the price is $15.... anyone who thinks this isn't worth it, please go see some of the scoundrels who charge $50-$150 bucks for ebooks that contain drivel... which I will not name here but many know...

this project is great and I'm happy to see that many magi here are willing to share their handlings to we who have invested in the thing - it is good that some issues on 36 etc. are brought up - but it doesn't have to be so antagonistic...

Also, as an aside, the many outs can be part of the book as I mentioned above... with some "pockets" that often come in such books...

Also, I've also thought up some theoretical outs that involve no card sleights or wallet/enevelope gafs... more classic mentalism similar to the "out" with Kollosal Killer.... as well as considering classic mentalism utility item of PW....

this will be fun!

Really - consider a companion volume at some point!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
It surprises me that some people use the argumentation: it never happened to me, so it can't happen. (I'm talking about the 36 cards in the last pile).

If you have to do the dealing again because you end up with 36 cards, spectators see that as a failure. "Something went wrong, so now we have to do the dealing thing again.."

Frans
Number One
View Profile
Regular user
Mike J Kelly
164 Posts

Profile of Number One
On further investigation of possibilities I conclude:
The third column can result in the following:

No. Covered Occurrence Chance
48 Yes Very Unlikely
44 No Very Unlikely
40 Yes Very Unlikely
36 No About 4% with 12
32 Yes About 10% with 16
28 Yes )
24 Yes ) About 90% Combined
20 Yes )
16 Yes About 10% with 32
12 Yes About 4% with 36
8 No Very Unlikely
4 No Very Unlikely

I am no mathematician but applying logic & trials these are my findings.

Mike
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Fvdbeek... though yor comment may not be aimed towards me, I just wanted to say that I have said that I myself have never came to the results others have, and I didn't say they were wrong because it never happened to me, just I have not experienced it.

Number One... interesting, cheers.

Dr Spektor... I think a companion volume would be a great idea, though it may be down to us who have this to put it together ourselves.
But I'm all for a companion volume, and if there are others who would want to put together such a thing and contribute then maybe we should make this happen.
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
Quote:
On 2007-12-10 07:03, Y2John wrote:
Fvdbeek... though yor comment may not be aimed towards me, I just wanted to say that

Dr Spektor... I think a companion volume would be a great idea, though it may be down to us who have this to put it together ourselves.
But I'm all for a companion volume, and if there are others who would want to put together such a thing and contribute then maybe we should make this happen.

I think a supplement should be sent to those who already purchased this. There seems to be a problem for those who are not satisfied with the end result. I think it is overall a very good datebook trick, but if you don't hit the 90%, then it becomes just an ordinary mathematical card trick. Some where in this I see a combined OOTW effect.
sman
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of sman
Slydini62

It is always possible that I did something wrong. I came up with 15R and 17B and 18 Combo. Equals 50. So we would have in deck a total of 24R and 26B. Still could be wrong though.

I do enjoy this datebook trick as I said before.

Skip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Diary of destiny (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL