The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life by Steve Martin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andrewmayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
142 Posts

Profile of andrewmayne
I put this review up on my personal blog, but I wanted to share it here. I love this book. Every magician should read it - not just because Steve Martin was into magic, but because of the detail in which he describes becoming an original performer...

Get this book. It’s one of the best show biz biographies I have ever read. Definitely the best one that ever mentioned Dariel Fitzke’s Showmanship for Magicians. Actor/comedian/writer/art collector/banjo picker/magician Steve Martin details his journey from aspiring young magician to the biggest comedian of all time (he was the first comedian to sell out 45,000 seat venues).

It’s an amazing story with details that fellow magicians can appreciate. He includes show notes from when he was a young man describing presentation of the Square Circle and the Hippity Hop Rabbits. Think about that one for a moment; one of the greatest movie stars of all time got his start doing Hippity Hop Rabbits. He talks about making the leap from behind the magic counter at Disneyland to the stage of nearby Knott’s Berry Farm.

You’ll find out that his overnight success took ten years and only then happened when he decided to go his own path. Despite the frequent bookings on the Tonight Show, fame and headliner status eluded him for a long time. He’d been demoted to performing only on guest host nights for a long period because Johnny wasn’t in to his act. When he slowly found his way, Johnny became his biggest fan.

I sat down with this book to just read a chapter and couldn’t put it down. I read the whole thing in one sitting. I’m getting the audiobook next. It’s an amazing story of how a performer struggled and grew in his art. It’s the best analysis I’ve ever read of what it takes to be an original and how hard it can be to get acceptance for that.

I could go on about this book, but you should really just be reading the book. So I’ll end this right here: Go get this book!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I love Steve - will certainly get the book. Thanks for pointing it out.
Cards never lie
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Steve Martin use to open for rock bands in San Francisco, which was a pretty big gig, but he had long hair and looked like everyone else. Problem was, looking like a wacky guy and being wacky isn't really funny....put on a nice suit and cut your hair and look like a business man and be wacky...that IS funny. His haircut was his salvation!
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
His book Cruel Shoes is a favorite of mine.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I just received a book called Steve Martin: The Magic Years, by Morris Walker. It's also a bio, with a couple of chapters on his magical years.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
I'm almost finished reading Morris Walker's book on Steve Martin. Morris Walker was Steve Martin's best friend from high school, the formative years, before he even started performing. (Imagine your best friend from high school writing about those years. I shiver at the thought!)

The book is a rather rambling narrative. He goes off topic all the time, skipping years, before returning the original point. It's an interesting read when he tells stories that reveal Martin's perceptions about performance, about handling audiences, and such. But I find it interesting because I'm a big fan of Martin. Bottom line is that the book isn't very good. The title 'magic years', you should understand, refers more to the metaphorically magic years of childhood, rather than Martin's years as a magician.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life by Steve Martin (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL