The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Healthy competition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

xkimo
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of xkimo
Does anyone else find this helps while learning tricks ? ...have just got a friend into doing card tricks (feels great to have someone to bounce ideas off and share tricks with)anywho maybe it's just me but I'm really hitting the books hard so I'm not falling behind now Smile

Xkimo
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
It can be useful learning and sharing ideas amongst a group- but it has its pitfalls too (read the Michael Ammar essys about 'The super group'). Learning magic should be a gradual process of development, its a marathon not a sprint!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Always more enjoyable to have someone to do it with and share with. One of the attractions of magic clubs is the fellowship with others who share the same interest. Try to get a couple more fiends interested, you will find it even more enjoyable.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
xkimo
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of xkimo
It's not so much of a rush really Smile (but will definitely give those essays a ready thanks Shakey) ...I'm just eager to get the trick down (seems I've switched back to practicing at any given opportunity again which is a fab feeling) now where as before with no one there it was just for me so it was more or less a lack of motivation really (i'm very lazy by nature Smile

/ninja edit
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The coolest thing about the "session" (as magicians sometimes call it...) is the joy one gets from blowing away one's fellow magi.

At that point you know you can fool anyone, 'cuz these guys know what to look for.

Two (or more) heads are always better than one!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Rather than a competition, a cooperation would be better
Cards never lie
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
It's nice to share - to a point. I take things into consideration, but go my own way using any nuggets I learned from the experience.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Quote:
On 2007-12-03 16:16, gaddy wrote:
The coolest thing about the "session" (as magicians sometimes call it...) is the joy one gets from blowing away one's fellow magi.

At that point you know you can fool anyone, 'cuz these guys know what to look for.

Two (or more) heads are always better than one!

Yes and no. Fellow magi do know what to look for, that is a given. The thing is, they think like magi and many have forgotten how to think like a layman. Performing for magi and laymen are two totally different groups. While a magician might take interest on how beautiful you pull off a slight, the layman will think of where the card, coin, or whatever could have gone. Darwin Ortiz describes the different ways of thinking beautifully in Designing Miracles.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
xkimo
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of xkimo
I think the best thing I like is the personal interpretation of a trick or move that a second person brings, Like Gaddy says "Two (or more) heads are always better than one!" Smile

Plus there's always something new to show or learn with another person, maybe I just like being the recipient of a trick as much as performing it (and if you ask nice they show you afterwards Smile
criverstamu09
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of criverstamu09
I think that having a group get together and session helps quite a bit, but having a competition can have some adverse side effects on a friendship
"Who you are moment to moment is just a story."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Healthy competition (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL