The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Evel Knievel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel died in Florida at the age of 69 today. Born Robert Craig Knievel, he had been in poor health for several years and died due to liver failure.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
In his prime, Evel made Johnny Knoxville look like a piker. He was fearless, he was the original jackass. I loved him as a kid. RIP.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I just read this about two minutes ago and came right to the Café to post it.

Vandy, you and I may be about the same age, because I loved him as a kid, too. I remember those Wide World of Sports jumps, and thought they were about the most awesome and thrilling things I'd ever seen.

I even got an Evel Knievel doll with a motorcycle and a van and some kind of crank that wound up the motorcycle so that it would go tearing off by itself. The toy didn't work all that well: you had to have about a hundred yards of sidewalk and good aim to get it to do anything. But it was still cool.

Jeff
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-11-30 17:05, stoneunhinged wrote:
I even got an Evel Knievel doll with a motorcycle and a van and some kind of crank that wound up the motorcycle so that it would go tearing off by itself. The toy didn't work all that well: you had to have about a hundred yards of sidewalk and good aim to get it to do anything. But it was still cool.

Jeff

I had the same toy! It was a cycle that went onto a stand and you'd crank it and it would take off. And you could remove the Evel "action figure" off the bike. He had the cool jumpsuit and his helmet came off and everything.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I had one too... That's sad to hear. He was a childhood hero of mine as well.

Ironic isn't that he survived all those jumps and it was eventually liver failure that did him in...

Lyndel
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I, too, was a fan. I remember watching his Snake River Canyon attempt on tv. I wonder how many kids ended up with broken arms and legs because they wanted to be like him and jump over stuff on their bicycles. I know my brother got scraped up quite badly on of his attempts.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Me thinks his root cause of death was pulmonary fibrosa rather than the ol' liver. Poor guy. I saw him jump in San Jose when I was a kid, he lectured everyone on drugs before the jump, made it.... He is a true American character ol' Evil. I fractured my ankle trying to do a jump on my bike.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Anyone hear the Jim Rome interview with Evel on his radio talk show, about five years ago? Absolutely classic, and 100% Knievel. The relevant portion went something really close to this:

JR: "Now, when you made that Snake River Canyon jump, what did you think the odds were that you'd survive?"

EK: "About 50-50."

JR: "FIFTY FIFTY?! What were you doing trying a stunt where you thought there was an even money shot you weren't going to live through it?"

(Half a beat pause)

EK: "Do you know who the hell I am?"

PRICELESS. There won't be another quite like him. RIP Evel.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Evel Knievel was a wonderful showman and a fearless performer. The impression he made on my generation can hardly be overstated.

Whether it was flying my Huffy off a makeshift ramp with my friends or tuning in to his latest death-defying feat on TV, his presence on the world stage made my childhood a richer one. To this day, his name alone invokes a sense of reverence for all that is larger than life. And in that sense, he lives on.

Thank you for the memories Mr. Knievel.

One more jump.

Steve
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-11-30 17:33, MagicSanta wrote:
Me thinks his root cause of death was pulmonary fibrosa rather than the ol' liver. Poor guy. I saw him jump in San Jose when I was a kid, he lectured everyone on drugs before the jump, made it.... He is a true American character ol' Evil. I fractured my ankle trying to do a jump on my bike.

Heard it could have been late fallout from hepatitis contracted from a long-ago blood transfusion following one of his stunts gone wrong.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
He'd not been well since getting hepatitis C but he had a lung condition with no cure and his breathing went on him. Either way he was one cool mo fo.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2007-11-30 17:28, Margarette wrote:
I, too, was a fan. I remember watching his Snake River Canyon attempt on tv. I wonder how many kids ended up with broken arms and legs because they wanted to be like him and jump over stuff on their bicycles. I know my brother got scraped up quite badly on of his attempts.

Margarette's post reminded me of a daring ramp jump that went TERRIBLY WRONG that I performed on my Huffy bicycle shortly after seeing the Snake River Canyon event...

Let's just say that there was a lot of bruising and my voice was several octaves too high for about a week! Bannana seats were NOT very soft back in the seventies as I remember! LOL!

Jump home Evel... Jump home!

Lyndel
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Here is a pic of the Evel Knievel Dare Devil Set (I had one too)

they are reproducing them now, using the original molds - and they go for around $60

Original commercial for the toy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF0LLdpEspg

Evel Knievel got his famous nickname while he was in jail with the town drunk, who was known as "Awful Knoffel." The police officers were reading out the role call to see who was in their cells, and Knievel and Knoffel were together. The jailers made a little joke that they had Awful Knoffel and Evel Knievel.

Evel was a pioneer in what is now called "extreme sports" and he was always thrilling to watch. Part stupid, part daredevil, part courage and always the showman, there will never be another like him.

Caesar's Palace jump:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGGCVE2lKY

Snake River Canyon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGGCVE2lKY
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
If anyone here listens to country music, there is a song called "1970 somethin" and one line goes

"had a showbox full of baseball cards and couple of Evel Kenevil scars on my right arm"

He was the man and even what his son does today pales in comparison to that huge heavy bike his dad uses.

NUMS
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
He was also jumping with hard tails, which is why some of them just broke in half.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Evel Knievel was a 'modern day' legend...

A legend that created himself.

It is truly rare for a 'modern day mythic figure' to invent himself.

Evel did just that...

He became 'larger than life' ON PURPOSE!

And, without the aid of CGI, camera cuts, or creative editing he put his butt on the the line in order to make something of himself.

I seriously doubt there will ever be anyone as unique, creative, or GENUINE as the amazing Evel Knievel...

The man was a marketing genius...

A hero to all of us who wish to become 'larger than life'...

And a TRUE American 'success story'.

If any of us can lay claim to living even a 10th of his amazing life should count ourselves VERY, VERY blessed.

R.I.P. Evel...

God Bless you as you jump the Pearly Gates!

Sincerely,

A true Fan,

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I loved how the cane he needed to walk after one of his wipe-outs became known as a "swagger stick". Talk about putting the spin on something!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I think I saw the " daredevil set" recently released again for retro collectors.

I remember the day he was set to do the Snake River Canyon jump. I had this little red AM radio and I listed all day for updates of what happened. It was riveting.

Surely an American Icon. RIP

Best,

Tim
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Cliff...

That is how he made himself a legend.

Makes you thing about your own career, huh?

Made ME think, that's for sure.

Not only did Evel leave us a legacy of Courage...

He left us with a wealth of knowledge on how to become "Larger than Life".

Again, God Bless him and RIP!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I knew I has seen this. I now remember seeing it in those SkyMall Mags you read while on flights. Here it is. http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102524531&c=

Best,

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Evel Knievel (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL