The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Names... names... names on a stage. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Hey,

What in your opinion is your purpose to having a stage name at your level of magic?

I don't have a stage name. I've never really wanted a stage name either. But I hear all the time about magicians who have a stage name. Copperfield, Wonder, tons of others. So what drives you or tempts you to get another name for when you're performing?

Fraser
I want to go far...
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
If your name is easy to remember, there is no need to have a artificial stage name. Fraser is perfectly okay. Later on, when you are approaching a semi-pro level, you can start to worry.

I compare this to most of the existing highschool bands. The guys spend days to look for a cool name, when they should use the time practice to play as one group instead.
Cards never lie
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I would venture the majority of magicians perform under their own name. If you have a hard to pronounce or hard to remember name , then perhaps a stage name would be appropriate. Or if you have some sort of character that you use for your act, then a stage name would be appropriate to go with the character. Another case would be if your real name was the same name as some other popular performer, thus your need for a stage name to differentiate you from that performer. Last reason to have a stage name is when your real name also happens to be the same as some nortorious person, i.e. Al Capone, Clyde Barrows, Richard Speck, etc. But I doubt magic needs another person adding ini to the end of a name.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Photiusini... Now that has a ring to it!
Getting into costume, stage name, it's all part of the game.
We are actors are we not?
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I used a stage name briefly. Turned out that another magician started to use the name too. Now we had two guys with the same name performing in Denver. Confusion was created - the other guy was reported to be abusing animals in his show and performing inappropriately with kids on stage. Well, I dropped the name and dumped the buisness cards. Every once in a while I'll get a call from a bill collector on his behalf.

Choose wisely...
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2007-12-01 10:00, Jerrine wrote:
Photiusini... Now that has a ring to it!
Getting into costume, stage name, it's all part of the game.
We are actors are we not?

Adding an Italian ending onto a Russian spelling of a Greek name. LOL. Not that's international!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
When decided to get serious in magic, I wanted to be the "Masked Magician."

Then I found out that name was taken by a show that REVEALED magic tricks!

What a waste of a good name.

Ugh.
zeitgeistmovie.com will enlighten you. Trust me Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Theatrical stage names are almost always selected to help 'Brand' the performer in some manner. Maybe you have an awkward last name or one that is just plain difficult to remember, etc. Lot's of reasons to have a name that is a legal entity side by side with your 'real' name. My own name has been a nightmare over the years as I have what amounts to three first, middle and last names and I am often called Burt, instead of Brad. My name is switched all the time and so for years I performed under several stage names. The least objectionable being Alex Stewart...only to find that name already taken by a notable English singer/songwriter of the 70's and 80's!!!

Best,
Brad Burt
criverstamu09
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of criverstamu09
I think that the main reason for a stage name is to either make your name easier to remember/pronounce (Tommy Wonder was born under the name Jacobus Bemelman), or to add to a character that you play onstage.
"Who you are moment to moment is just a story."
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
This has got me going, is my stage name good? my profile name isn't my real name.

crap I am starting to get me think. PM if you are interested in helping.
Have you Amazed?
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
Hmmm I guess it makes more sense to me now. I just thought that people were sick of their name and wanted a different name. haha! But I guess if it's hard to remember or different then it would be easier to spread the name around.

Fraser
I want to go far...
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
Some people are just lucky enough to have a name that easily works. My name is Gord Boyes. My son and I perform together so our stage name is "The Magic Boyes". I prefer people to use their real name because that's the name that people use in day to day life, and the more your name gets mentioned the better. Makes it easier to find you too (well, maybe that's not a good thing for everyone.. heheh).
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
wackyvorlon
View Profile
New user
Sarnia, ON, Canada
72 Posts

Profile of wackyvorlon
It seems there's all kinds of props named after stage names. Okito box, chop cup, etc. And some of the most famous names in magic are stage names. It seems to me to be really something of preference. Having more than one name can also be convenient, it can allow you to 'categorize' yourself in a way. You have one name for magic, perhaps others for other hobbies. I know in model engineering(another hobby of mine), two of the big names in the hobby LBSC and Tubal Cain are both nom de plumes.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
The current president of S.A.M. Assembly 9 has the stage name Vlad. He dresses in black, has long black hair and does bizarre magic often with a mentalist approach. He seldom uses his real name anymore, and has completely adopted the vampiric personality. He looks a bit like Alan Rickman as Snape.

So if all fits together.

I"m lucky that my parents gave me an Anglo name to go with my Japanese name. Many non-Asian folks have trouble remembering my Japanese name, but don't have problems with Marty. I think if I had only my Japanese name, I would probably create a nick-name to make it easier on people.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I started to use one, then this guy came along and was using the same name. It got confusing and we even looked alike. After he did some rather tacky tricks with birds and children, I went back to my name. I still get calls from his creditors.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Stage names do serve a purpose in many situations. I picked up mine due to a friend in the recording business who after becoming "public property" found it awkward having people call his home and talking to his children about him. (I spent many years in the recording industry.) Also in those days the entertainment world was loaded with good agents and we used them. It was much preferred to have an agent deal with the talent buyer for bookings. Recording artists do enjoy much better name recall by fans than magicians do. Name recall for professional magicians is essentially only among other magicians. (Discouraging, isn’t it?) Also few magicians actually have managers and agents. Using their real names becomes necessary to encourage booking contacts.

On The Magic Café you will find some very big names using screen names to protect privacy. Likewise, you will find many using screen names for other reasons. However, a basic rule for Café Staff is that we must use our real names as staff members. Actually the trend has been catching. More and more adult magicians use their own names for screen names with magicians. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- In my case, Bob Sanders is a very common name. Some think I play football. I have done my time with the Colts. However, I'm a ranch raised cowboy and my sport was rodeo! We still have horses. My wife uses them as live unicorns in her show.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Names... names... names on a stage. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL