The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Best materials for a close up mat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
I am considering building my own close up mat, and presentation table. I would appreciate any input on what materials would make the best close up pad. Which surface do you like best (felt, etc?), and what do you think makes for the best padding (carpet padding came to mind).

I would also like to build into the table hold outs for cards and coins. Any resources on where to get these? I could probably make them, but I have found purchasing things like this is much less aggravating than trying to build one from scratch. The track for the PK device I can do, and have a woodworking shop where I can get the materials needed.

I value your input, and appreciate your response.
Smile
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
I've been to the arts and crafts store in my town recently and my eyes just bugged out. They were selling these 9" x 12" foam pads for 50p and they're as good as thin versions of close up pads! they don't crease when folded, they have excellent grip, and they are exceedingly light. I feel like sueing all the close up pad makers for ripping me off all this while! Smile
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
I've recently been using a hard close-up mat which I've made using a piece of hardboard with self adhesive felt attached to it. This is about 30 cm by 20 cm. I find this easier to carry to the table and set down.

I also have a small stand taped to this so I can show cards more easily.

I'm not sure if this idea would be as effective for routines such as coin matrixes, or other routines where items need to be quickly picked up, but it certainly works for me.

Brian.
Brian
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
If you don't mind blue, the Cyberguys have a Jumbo (17.5" X 13.8") Mouse pad for under $8. I'm thinking about dyeing or recovering it but it works great as is.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
nostromo
View Profile
New user
Pensacola, Fla
79 Posts

Profile of nostromo
For the base, how about one of the add-on type drawers at Lowes, and just screw a top to it that you cover with your closeup pad. The drawer could be kept closed with a couple of the child proof drawer latches.

There's a guy in our club that has a rig like you're talking about with two drawers in front that he got from a local carpenter. He just replaced the velvet on the top and when he did, he also replaced the foam with a cutdown giant mousepad from Office Depot. Before he glued the pad down, he carved out a couple of places in the neoprene and put in a couple of strong magnets. It's great for PK effects and his light up car buggy.

For places to stash small objects in the front of the drawer, how about the packing foam that comes with computers? You know, the plastic-y kind that doesn't crumble like styrofoam does. You can easily glue it in place, can easily trim it to hold what you want, and cheaply replace it if you need to reconfigure for other objects.

There's another guy in our club that took a sturdy briefcase and glued a waterpipe flange fitting to the bottom of it. He has a three foot or so length of pipe that's threaded at both ends and put a bigger flange on the other end and jammed it into a weight from a weight set. He can't sit it down as a briefcase anymore, but he now has a cheap briefcase stand. The stand is heavy as the dickens but it was cheap.

Hope you'll post the results of your project!!
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Gandolf, depending on how big the table is, if you haven't found anything big enough, I have found that a Yoga Mat works great! I am just finishing a 2 foot by 3 1/2 foot table and couldn't find anything within budget big enough... I went with a yoga mat covered with black cloth.

Good Luck!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Best materials for a close up mat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL