The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The best series in the history of television is... (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Hey, you're welcome, balducci.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
-Are You Being Served?-
-Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em-
-On The Buses-
-Fawlty Towers-
-Boys From The Blackstuff-
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
-The Mary Tyler Moore show
-The Larry Sanders show
-I Love Lucy
-Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell and Dandy Don Meredith. Especially if it was a blowout game, and they were drunk by the third quarter.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
After reading through the thread again, and considering the criteria Jeff laid out, I am going to rescind my posting of the test pattern and say it's a toss-up between The Twilight Zone and Blackadder. Since Blackadder had the same cast, with 100+ year differences in the seasons, the characters were more-or-less the same, and thus it is the greatest series of all time.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Firefly.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Buffy The Vampire series was excellent. It wasn't really about Vampires ( It was about good vs. evil ). It was very funny and also serious at times. It was about love, family, friendship, betrayal, loyalty, redemption, etc. Just like life is.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Firefly was a very interesting series. I watched all of it in two days, and was fascinated.

But I would argue that it was a mixed bag, not a masterpiece. There was something experimental about it that I deeply respect ("Cowboys, Pirates, Spacemen, Geniuses. That show had everything."), but I don't think such an eclectic mix always worked. It did on the entertainment level, but not on the level of "art" (whatever that is....) Of course, if nothing else, it introduced me to Christina Hendricks, and that has been a double gift.

It's been three years since I started the thread, but I can still recall that I was thinking in different terms than most of the other posters. I was really looking for something like, "What's the Citizen Kane of TV series?" If a TV series can be art, which series has achieved the highest quality by making maximum use of the medium?

It also surprises me that (unless I somehow stupidly missed it) no one mentioned The Sopranos. I had not seen the Sopranos three years ago. But my parents gave me the whole series as a gift and I watched it non-stop (like I did Firefly; but it took me three weeks instead of two days) and was very impressed, to say the least. Yes, the last season stretched it too far. But so did Kung Fu. And the finale was exceedingly provocative as a self-reflecting statement regarding the nature of a television series (it just simply ends), yet also exceedingly disappointing. But the finale of Kung Fu is just plain stupid. Caine takes a bow and exits stage right. What genius thought that up? The Sopranos didn't have its own original score, but utmost attention was paid to the music--brilliantly so. The writing, production values, acting, and story-lines were top notch. I would say that the Sopranos is a contender for the best TV drama series of all time.

What has not surprised me is the Café disease of "listing". If you go to the Worker's forum and ask a question like, "what ONE SINGLE BOOK would you want to have with you on a desert island?", people will write a list of 101 books. The same happened in this thread. Why are people so wishy-washy and indecisive? I say, "Kung Fu", Corona says, "The Prisoner", Laurie says "The Waltons", and Critter says, "Firefly". We are men. (Well, except for Laurie.) We are decisive. We may be wrong, but we have thought it through and staked our claims.

I never saw Buffy. Should I buy the DVDs?
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 06:16, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 10:37, stoneunhinged wrote:
Mandrake, I didn't see that Jason Scott Lee movie. We'll never know what really happened, of course. I am a HUGE Bruce Lee fan, but he was indeed wrong for the series. At least one studio executive I read about admitted that he couldn't even understand Bruce. And he had a point. "Why doesn't someone just take a gun and..BANG!..Settow it!?

He (Bruce) was quoted once as saying the main reason he got the role of Kato in "The Green Hornet" was because he was the only Asian actor in Hollywood who could say the lead character's name; Britt Reid!

Going off on a tangent! The Green Hornet is (believe it or not) related to another famous radio-era hero. They never met. They lived in two different areas and times, but none the less, the same production staff created each show and arranged that the two of them were related. Do you know who the other character is and what the relationship was?

WellKemo sahbee... I must admit that I am totally baffled... Perhaps I should ask my uncle...

And that is that!
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-09-02 07:00, stoneunhinged wrote:

I never saw Buffy. Should I buy the DVDs?

Buffy is surprisingly smart television. You should definitely try a couple of episodes.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I second Buffy. The spin-off, "Angel" plays in re-runs from start to finish over and over on TBS. I've lost track of how many times I've seen the series.
If anyone doesn't know, all of these shows are done by Joss Whedon, same guy who did "Firefly." He is also going to direct the superhero movie "The Avengers."
Awesome.
I thought Firefly was very artistic. One thing that stands out on this level is how River never wears shoes and touches the ship all the time to make sure it's real. That's frickin' genius!
I can't think of any element of the show that didn't work for me on an artistic level. From Mal's gun, to the languages, to the ship itself.
That's my case and I'm stickin' to it.
~Will Rogers
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
The Andy Griffith Show
Mister Mystery
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-09-02 10:38, Regan wrote:
The Andy Griffith Show

If we had to pick a most addictive theme song then this would be my vote.
In fact...
~Will Rogers
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-09-02 10:29, critter wrote:
I second Buffy. The spin-off, "Angel" plays in re-runs from start to finish over and over on TBS. I've lost track of how many times I've seen the series.
If anyone doesn't know, all of these shows are done by Joss Whedon, same guy who did "Firefly." He is also going to direct the superhero movie "The Avengers."
Awesome.
I thought Firefly was very artistic. One thing that stands out on this level is how River never wears shoes and touches the ship all the time to make sure it's real. That's frickin' genius!
I can't think of any element of the show that didn't work for me on an artistic level. From Mal's gun, to the languages, to the ship itself.
That's my case and I'm stickin' to it.

Joss Whedon is a cretaive genius.

The first episode of Angel is over the to fantastic. From the opening bar scene ( which fooled me ) to the end.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The Best?

By sheer franchising, not many can beat CSI...

There's CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York... Smile

And collaborations in between them...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Just finished watching the entire run of Twin Peaks with my daughter; it was her first time through and my first since the series first aired.

The final episode gets my vote for the most powerful series ending.

It is still phenomenal television.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You know the scene where there is a strobe going off in the last episode? When it was originally on the police came to my apartment door, the place was dark except for the strobe and the odd music from the show.... I answer the door and they are met by me and the show and those two cops were very confused. Seemed they were looking for a fellow in the same apartment number but in the complex next door and I didn't look at all like the suspect. That strobe further had 'em freaking when I jumped out.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-09-02 13:09, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
The Best?

By sheer franchising, not many can beat CSI...

There's CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York... Smile

And collaborations in between them...

I've never been able to finish an episode of New York or Miami, but I loved the original when Grissom was still on it.
~Will Rogers
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Wipeout.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Star Trek. The Next Generation.

-Mary Mowder
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 06:16, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 10:37, stoneunhinged wrote:
Mandrake, I didn't see that Jason Scott Lee movie. We'll never know what really happened, of course. I am a HUGE Bruce Lee fan, but he was indeed wrong for the series. At least one studio executive I read about admitted that he couldn't even understand Bruce. And he had a point. "Why doesn't someone just take a gun and..BANG!..Settow it!?

He (Bruce) was quoted once as saying the main reason he got the role of Kato in "The Green Hornet" was because he was the only Asian actor in Hollywood who could say the lead character's name; Britt Reid!

Going off on a tangent! The Green Hornet is (believe it or not) related to another famous radio-era hero. They never met. They lived in two different areas and times, but none the less, the same production staff created each show and arranged that the two of them were related. Do you know who the other character is and what the relationship was?

The Lone Ranger, who was Britt's fathers uncle.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The best series in the history of television is... (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL