The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » I've got John Carney's ''The Book of Secrets!'' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
Uli,
I believe that it states in the introduction to Strong Magic that it is not a book of theory. As you pointed out it is a book of techniques. Perhaps even the nuts and bolts explanations of tricks can be considered as theory if you do not put them into practice.

Maestro,
Thank you for the correction to John Carney's website address.
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
I bought a deluxe signed copy of Carneycopia by accident once. That was fun Smile
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
sterlyn
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of sterlyn
Months since the last post here.

I feel I've walked into an empty room where there was much ado and now all is still again.

Months later, I am still puzzling this book and feel I will for times to come.

It is incredibly layered.

Reading at it makes me feel like I am wind blown, spiraling around some hugely magnetic center.

And haven't figured out how to get in.

A very thoughtful and thought provking book.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
I have the book. I think the book is well produced, well written and the illustrations (photos changed to illustrations for clarity) are very good.
The book as a nice "feel" when reading it. It is a book you will want to keep unlike some publications.
It is good that he put some history in every chapter. I think many of us lack in the who's who of the moves and theories we use.

I must say I was a little disappointed in the "theory or creativity" content.
I do not see anything to gush about. The Text book style, "now what would you do to make this trick better" might be helpful for beginners but it is not something that changed how I view magic.

I guess how some view this book depends on what other books have be read and what level of study you are at.
For some reason the way I read some reviews they made it sound like this book was full of theory and essays. I found it to be more a excellent detail of how to properly perform the tricks described with few essays mixed in.

I also did not quite get all the "lessons" he was trying to illustrate with the tricks he teaches. In some cases he explains why he includes this or that effect but in many I would have liked to see a side bar in the explaination of the connection to the lesson. That is, to explain what others do wrong and why he feels this effect ties in with his message.

The book is enjoyable to read through and reminded me of a time when I was a teen trying every effect after I read it.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
How does this book weigh up against Carneycopia?
Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Ok, I got this book a while ago. It is now one of the best magic books I own. It's beatifully produced, well written, thought provoking, and forces you to examine the "real secrets" of magic. The secrets he refers to are not the routines, but what makes the routines work. However, the routines themselves are amazing. You would be proud to own this book. Highly recommended.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » I've got John Carney's ''The Book of Secrets!'' (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL