The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Vigil’s Sympathetic Cards by Paul Vigil (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4449 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I haven't seen a review here yet for this...and can't understand why not?!?! I received an email from Paul, as well as myspace alerts to this..and immediately went for it! I have always loved the plot of Sympathetic cards, and I always used Jorg Alexanders version...and probably still will whilst performing in cabaret...however, this is INCREDIBLY tempting to perform in cabaret, but much more suited to close up I think... Here is the small ad/endorsements you will have read if you got the email or alerts...

Sympathy (for the Devil) Cards
Or
Cartas con Simpatia Diabolica
a.k.a.
Vigil’s Sympathetic Cards*
(Sans Gaffus)

*as dubbed by The Great Tomsoni

This is my version of the classic Sympathetic Cards.

“Another winner from Paul Vigil!
When Paul showed me this my mind filled with thoughts of possibilities. Thank you Paul!”
- Eugene Burger

“I think this is one of the best constructed matching routines in the history of card magic.”
- Allan Ackerman

“Paul’s magic is a beautiful blend of poetry, dexterous manipulation and psychology. Sympathetic Cards utterly destroyed me the first time I saw it performed. I didn’t know what was coming and when I got there it was already too late to even try to backtrack. Then there’s the surprise ending…
I don’t do a lot of card tricks, but this is something I will perform.”
- Patrick G. Redford

“Brilliant. Elegant. Diabolical.
Once again, Paul Vigil has proven why he is simply one of my favorite magicians in the world.”
- Rick Maue

“The bad part of progressing in magic is that you don’t get fooled very often. This trick fooled me. Paul has obviously put in a lot of thoughtful work on this one. Magic is replete with tricks that sound good or look good on video, but aren’t practical when applied in the real world. This one is entertaining, will work in the real world and will fool your spectators.”
- Darren Hart

“Fantastic! That was amazing!”
- John Born

Available via paypal for $20 to paul@paulvigil.com
Subject line: Sympathy

Shout @ the Devil,

V

Ps. Also contains bits,tips and thoughts from Luke Jermay, Joey Burton, John Born, Patrick Redford, Dan Harlan, Raj Madhok and Rick Maue.

Now for a review...

What you receive...an incredibly well written and detailed pdf which is 29 pages long! For a start, Paul continues to prove a point to me...when some of the less inexperienced or younger Magicians try and releases a manuscript on something, it can sometimes be about 1-3 pages long...but with Paul...this one effect is detailed in 29 pages! Big difference, and it is the same with all his releases, very well and deatiled writing, makes for ease of learning...

Now, onto the effect, it is the classic Sympathetic cards plot, but with NO gaffs, it uses a regular deck, the spectator cuts the deck where they like, free choice...the spectator chooses a half...free choice, no Magicians force or anything...you demonstrate what they are about to do with their half by mixing your half...some face up, some face down as well...and then they do the same...mix it AS MUCH as they like, really they do! Then the cards are all turned over, and they match the pairs of your pile! (That description really doesn't do the effect justice so far) Now, there are no switches or funny moves here, they really are the two packets which have been on view the entire time, spectators could literally burn your hands and the packets throughout the entire routine so far and not see anything...because there is nothing to see!!!
But there is more!!! A prediction which has also been in view the ENTIRE time, and can even be given out before the effect is opened, and seen to match the order of the cards perfectly! Absolutely incredible!!! All without any gaffs, a normal deck of cards, no switches or ANY sleight of hand!

This routine really is diabolicly clever, and it fools both laymen and Magician!!! Including yourself when you first try it out! I really do think it is impossible for anyone to figure this one out whilst watching it.

The other great thing about the value to this, is the tips and ideas given from other world class Magicians and creators. Paul's way of the final prediction is incredible, but sadly won't work...for me, but others it will, it really will!! But everyone is different, and it really is limited by your imagination! It took me some time to realise I can use this with my up coming release, but they sit hand in hand with each other, that it is almost stupid I didn't think to put them together in the first place!

If anyone is looking for that REALLY killer piece of Magic, that is incredibly fooling and Magical, then look no further...Pauls third release this year...and it is ANOTHER killer, behind Diplopia and ICON, Paul really shows that he is one of Magics best minds, and I really look forward to anything else he releases.

Everyone has their favourite creators, people who as soon as they see a release it out, or coming out by someone, they will rush to get it when they can...Paul Vigil is one of those people for me. I don't even need to think about it, if he is releasing it, I know it will be good, and well written.

9.9/10 (Sorry, nothing is perfect!)
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
I also snapped this up... even though to be honest I had no clue what it was I was actually purchasing, but I knew I'd learn something as Paul's material is always of such a high... content wise and how much is put into each pdf manuscript.

Im so glad that I did snap this up as the routine is just... well... phenominal.

Chris... yeah good idea with combining this with yours... excellent.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1192 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
This sounds almost perfect. How much of a deck set up is there? Can it be done in front of the audience?

Thanks

Steve
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On 2007-12-03 12:54, Y2John wrote:
I also snapped this up... even though to be honest I had no clue what it was I was actually purchasing, but I knew I'd learn something as Paul's material is always of such a high... content wise and how much is put into each pdf manuscript.

Im so glad that I did snap this up as the routine is just... well... phenominal.

Chris... yeah good idea with combining this with yours... excellent.

Me too!

I spoke with Don Theo III the other morning and he was so animated about it, I couldn't resist. I need a 12 step...

Good to see my friends in "ebooks anonymous" again. Happy Monday.

The ebook is excellent. I can't wait to give this a try. It is very practical and clever. The handling is "oh-so-simple" and beautiful. Clever method, VERY nice routine.

Sean
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4449 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2007-12-03 13:00, Steve Suss wrote:
This sounds almost perfect. How much of a deck set up is there? Can it be done in front of the audience?

Thanks

Steve

There is a set up, you can't do this from a borrowed deck straight away (Don't worry, it isn't a full deck set up or anything)...however, at the start, a couple false shuffles, false cuts etc will be good enough. The amount of free choices and mixing they get to do at the start makes it seem free enough to them
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
I was fortunate enough to see Paul lecture last week in what he called his very first lecture where he performed this. There is not much to add to what has been written above except to say that this routine is as easy to learn as it is elegant. All the touches he has added is what makes this a showpiece. He used a cell phone in his prediction ending (which is explained in the PDF) which I thought was a great "kick in the head" ending. It's a beautiful routine and highly recommended.

(He also performed a matrix routine that he did not explain that was as close to real magic as I've ever seen.)
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of magikcid
I also got this form Paul's myspace post. I have also been working on Kostya Kimlat's Roadrunner cull and have brazenly set up the deck in front of people (not sure if it was a good idea, but I used a few false riffle shuffles while talking about fate) Set up properly this effect can't not entertain...nothing but great reactions from this one...
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Are this effect and Oz Pearlman's "Perfection" the same effects?
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
936 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Bugjack

No...both effects could not be more different.

Thanks
Frank V.
dylan magic
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of dylan magic
Paul is a true gentleman and I recommend anything he does!! paul is a true student of the art and does not release anything below par or untested! a rarity in this day and age.

p.s public thanks for private reasons to paul if you read this!!
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Thanks, Frank. As I loved "Diplopia" I'll be picking this up at some point.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Welp, another $20 to the addiction Smile

But I am a sucker for devilish effects Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
Yeah definitely going to take a look at this. I loved Diplopia, wasn't too interested in Icon, but this one is certainly right up my alley. I hope to receive this one soon! Smile
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2820 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
This is simply a great effect and presentation with tons of possibilities. I highly recommend it.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5061 Posts

Profile of entity
This is a very good idea. It would have been perfect if the face down cards in each packet showed up at the same time, too.

- entity
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11565 Posts

Profile of John C
Better be good ... Smile
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11565 Posts

Profile of John C
It may be a wonderful effect in print. But I don't believe a 20 page card trick will go DIRECTLY into MY show. There are MANY effects that are just as mind boggeling yet much easier to accomplish and allow one to concentrate on presentation.

It's good, but it won't go into my act. My shelf maybe. My opinion.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1255 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I'd love to hear any more reviews for this. I loved Diplopia, but ICON is awful, so I'm firmly on the fence in regards to purchasing this.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2820 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
The effect is essentially self-working and the possibilities for presentations (I'm referring to the last phase specifically) are endless. Paul tends to "leave no stone unturned" in his instructions so they are lengthy. The routine runs about 6 to 7 minutes and can involve anywhere from one to three participants. It builds nicely to the finale which is very commercial and can be personalized to the performing context. This alone is extremely valuable.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
Quote:
On 2007-12-16 16:24, johncesta wrote:
It may be a wonderful effect in print. But I don't believe a 20 page card trick will go DIRECTLY into MY show. There are MANY effects that are just as mind boggeling yet much easier to accomplish and allow one to concentrate on presentation.

It's good, but it won't go into my act. My shelf maybe. My opinion.

John

John,

I perform almost exclusively on stage and have one card effect scripted (a personal piece utilizing the BCS) however, when reading this routine, I pulled the pasteboards right back out.

Before using it professionally I ramped this one up against my friends and brothers. At this point (and I'm sure you all can identify with this) there is very little, with cards or anything else, that could impress them enough to top what they have seen in the past.

This one transcends the genre, though. My best friends and family, who have seen the most amazing things from me in the past (not trying to brag, all of y'all feel me here) were dumbfounded when I shuttled this one out.

Paul V. is the biggest midget in the game. (That's an S.O.Veee reference, we are actually about the same height.)

D.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Vigil’s Sympathetic Cards by Paul Vigil (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL