The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Vigil’s Sympathetic Cards by Paul Vigil (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Tone
View Profile
Elite user
The Secret Theater
419 Posts

Profile of Tone
Quote:
On 2007-12-18 11:24, Dr Spektor wrote:
Messy is more closer to life than perfection IMHO.

<i>"Wabi Sabi"</i> (japanese)-
"Wabi" is the kind of perfect beauty that is seemingly-paradoxically caused by just the right kind of imperfection, such as an asymmetry in a ceramic bowl which reflects the handmade craftsmanship, as opposed to another bowl which is perfect, but soul-less and machine-made.
"Sabi" is the kind of beauty that can come only with age, such as the patina on a very old bronze statue.

Quote:
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There's a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

-Leonard Cohen
╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏͋͏╪ͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥͥ
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Thank you, Tone. We received Andrew Juniper's book on wabi sabi, the Japanese art of impermanence and duende, beneath our candled axis mundi. As Don Theo and I have discussed, we must not forget the dynamic of original sympathy with this event.

--coup
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I bought this recently last Friday. Played around with it and fooled myself! It's a keeper!! I'm going to work on presentation and I'm glad it works on my cell phone.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2007-12-27 01:08, Tone wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-18 11:24, Dr Spektor wrote:
Messy is more closer to life than perfection IMHO.

<i>"Wabi Sabi"</i> (japanese)-
"Wabi" is the kind of perfect beauty that is seemingly-paradoxically caused by just the right kind of imperfection, such as an asymmetry in a ceramic bowl which reflects the handmade craftsmanship, as opposed to another bowl which is perfect, but soul-less and machine-made.
"Sabi" is the kind of beauty that can come only with age, such as the patina on a very old bronze statue.

I also like Wasabi on my sushi - and this sort of effect is hot! (OUCH - but I had to do it... you set it up so nicely...)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1084 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
I always wanted to do this effect and now I do!

With cards in hand, I went through the steps in the Manuscript and just like Paul says,"it will fool you".

That principle alone was worth it to me, as I like things that can be applied in other effects and has already got me thinking.

Then I read through the full routine and thought something was left out as I was thinking you would have to make one small adjustment to the spectators packet, after they were done.
So I got my 52 buddies and low and behold, that same principle that I just (thought i) learned had already taken care of it.

This whole routine is a Showpeice and as they say, the devel is in the details and Paul is a master when it comes to details.

This is such a fair,well thought out and impossible looking effect and the kicker is just killer!

The effect is very easy to do and he gives his own presentation as he takes you through the working, which I like, as it is much easier to picture, just how strong this realy is.

Darwin Ortiz has been one of my favorite authors for a long time and This manuscript from paul grabbed me the same way, as the writing is superb and and the effect elegant.

Just my opinion, but that's exactly how I feel about Sympathetic Cards by Paul Vigil.

Steve Haynes
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
This is great. Performed it at a wedding the other day with a Sympathy/Empathy theme. The best thing was the reaction of the newlyweds. Amazing.
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
599 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
This is indeed a great effect. But keep in mind that it does use an almost complete (75%) deck setup, and the strongest presentation (in my opinion) requires one or two perfect faros. If you have the luxury of starting with a full (or almost full) deck setup and the skill to perform a perfect faro, many stunning effects are available to you. In fact, you're in a very elite category of effects, most of which are complete mind-blowers and can be found in books containing many other such effects for a per effect price much lower than this one. $20 for a single effect seems a bit high to me when you look at what you can get for much less.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
If you perform this in your own town or area I think using the Area Code is a slight bit of a tip off that there was some kind of set up....

Doing this locally I just ask them to dial their Area Code ( same as mine ) and then just dial the next 7 cards....joking,,,, lets keep this a local call....

Of course when doing this out of town use all 10 digits.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
I have already proclaimed my happiness with this effect but I gotta step back up and say, I have Bren using this as an audition piece and it has proven to be SO profitable!

Great routine and great scripting.

Wow cubed.

D
vinnymac
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of vinnymac
I just got this and am very happy! Very well scripted and very well thought out. I haven't tried it on anyone yet, but plan on doing so soon. I can imagine that the reactions will be amazing. This is so clever and a pleasure to read. The script is one of the best parts, it is very well written and pays a lot of attention to details. Recommended!
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
I just got this as well and it's really good. I'm thinking of a Statistics textbook prediction where the 1st few cards lead you to a page # with a highlighted problem about card statistics. There are tons of these in most statistics books, just to find one that relates to the trick in some way. The last cards will end up equaling the solution. With this you can also use the book as part of the presentation by misreading pertinant statitics along the way.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I went to the Noblezada Experience workshop this past weekend and met Paul. He's unbelievable. He taught us his updated handling of this routine and went into a lot of detail on making the magic real. The subtleties are amazing. The method he showed us ends with the spec choosing either pile, mixing them again, and then dialing the first 10 values into a phone as a phone number, which called his phone that was sitting in a gift box on the table. It was amazing.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
I closed my recent small (40 people) stage show with this effect. It fit quite nicely. I used an alternative ending but retrospectively I think Paul's original ending as written is stronger. Especially with his updated patter and handling.

D.
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa, Johannesburg
111 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
This really is a great effect. There is a nice review on this site:

http://online13steps.blogspot.com/2008/08/paul-vigil.html
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1479 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
That sounds pretty cool!
Stefan O.
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Stefan O.
It IS pretty cool!

You will even fool yourself with it. I love the cell phone twist in the end.

Stefan

http://www.pierrot.tobit.net
EXCLUSIVE MENTALISM PRODUCTS - Check out Stefan's original routines!

http://shop.stefanmagie.de
JasonMythos
View Profile
New user
Hsinchu, Taiwan
86 Posts

Profile of JasonMythos
Finally got this and read it a few times. This is a very
good application of the 'D13T' principle. But... I still
don't get the point of putting 'X X' atop 3H (page ix) and
when the 'X' is eliminated before the final phone
prediction.

Jason
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
This is exactly why I joined message boards...to share exciting tricks with one another. I talked to Paul the other day online...I recently had a tumor removed, he e-mailed me a PDF file to cheer me up...it was Diplopia. I was floored. I heard about how good Paul was from Luke Jermay but I had never Paul nor seen any of his magic.

I am floored because he is a genius...he is humble... he is everything you want in a magician and a mentor. Why he is not more widely know...well, that is beyond me. My suggestion to anyone is get to know Paul and his material. You will never be sorry. Some tricks involve allot of time investment, but from what I experienced on the one trick alone, what little is required is worth it...but what is not required and you learn/achieve anyway can take you to a whole different level.
I will definately pick this trick up. I am blown away at the phone number idea. Also....ICON is another routine I will purchase as well. I may not use all three in every situation but it has been a LOOOOOOONG time since I really REALLY got excited about new magic.
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
I got Paul's Sympathy routine the other day. Still working on it. Thanks all.
johndraws
View Profile
Loyal user
Danville, Illinois
202 Posts

Profile of johndraws
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 20:10, Don Theo III wrote:

Great routine and great scripting.

Wow cubed.

D

Yes...I have to agree. I also want to recommend Diplopia.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Vigil’s Sympathetic Cards by Paul Vigil (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL