The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Randi, Me, and a Million Bucks - A PhotoShop Montage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
So I open my email this afternoon and there's a note from Randi suggesting I remove the picture I have with him and the million dollar check on my MySpace page.

I called him, because for a minute I thought this might be a joke from someone else. I've met Randi before and he does have a sense of humor.

Now the picture was an obvious photoshop job (most of you may have seen it) and I had a friend do it for me in that obvious manner as a spoof. Mr. Randi saw it, but informed me that he was being bothered by phone calls and emails regarding the picture and asked me to remove it.

I removed the picture, but it goes to show you many people will believe almost anything you put out there or say, just check the comments on some of my YouTube videos. Perhaps presentation has something to do with it.

Also, I hear some magicians and mentalists comment that they won't use this or that method because it's "obvious", well, my photoshop montage was ridiculously "obvious" (to many) yet it was enough to bother Randi with emails and phone calls.

I don't want to annoy or bother anyone unnecessarily as my intention with Mentalism and my various phenomenal abilities is to entertain and have fun, but sometimes the fun has to be cut short....
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18262 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I dare you to put one up of Randi ravashing a horse instead...
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
Does this mean you have to give the million dollars back?

Steve
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
No.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Hope he does not take offense to the movie I'm working on...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18262 Posts

Profile of IAIN
It's not a remake of The Young Ones is it?
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Heck wait untill he hears the EVP recording that one of the Dead Boys sent via the static on my TV.

Now that is worth a million.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
I know; people fall for anything, I cant believe no-ones picked up that you and annebelle are the same person yet. you sneekster you.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Vincent, you're so clever.

It really is no surprise to me why more women are not members of this forum.

I usually allow Anabelle to respond to this sort of thing because she does a much better job than I, but, and this will sound crazy to you I'm sure, Anabelle is a real person, her own person. Yes, she can think on her own (amazing) without the need of a man behind her posts and thoughts.

Honestly I don't owe you further explanations, if you believe that is the case, I suggest you "dig deeper", do your research. Then, if you're man enough, return with an apology to Anabelle for your (as she has posted elsewhere on this forum) "sexist assumption".

As far as the Randi thing, just this morning I got tons of hate comments on my Telekinesis Demonstration Video. Coincidence? Borderline death threats on a couple of them, suggesting I need to "die".
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Are you sure they weren't trying to sell you a set of Gary Kurtz PK Die...?
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
You know, Alexandre, the only thing that can compel you to remove content is a take down order (not a notice, a court order). You should have asked for proof of this plague of phone calls.

There's more information here: http://www.chillingeffects.org/
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Jon, very informative, I will refer to it in the future....
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
If you want to keep the picture up, there are a few things you can do. You might want to mark it as a parody, or otherwise make it clear in the picture itself that it is a photoshop job (in case anyone takes you picture and, say, uses it to prove that Randi has paid out the million dollars).

Even just the phrase "Maybe someday..." up in the corner (or whatever suits your persona) would make it clear that it is intended for humorous effect.

There are laws protecting clearly defined parodies, so this may be one way to go.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Scott, thank you, but to be honest, I just didn't want to further annoy the old guy, so I just removed it, though once again, thank you for the info and this is certainly something to think about in the future.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4206 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Does this mean that debunkers are not necessarily the brightest of the lot? Smile
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
No, it just means that mentalists foresee the potential expenditure of unnecessary legal fees and thus take prudent action to prevent them.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Arnon, you mean I could've faced legal fees because of that obvious joke?

If I had added a very tiny (parody, not to be taken seriously) on the corner I would be fine, correct?

I need to know these things because I have some fun plans coming up....
Peter Veran
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Peter Veran
I have already issued Alexandre a writ regarding a photograph on the same site purporting to show DrS. This is clearly just a photograph of a local drunk, I would venture to say that it the husband of the fat slapper that can be seen scratching her arse in the background.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 19:18, ALEXANDRE wrote:
Arnon, you mean I could've faced legal fees because of that obvious joke?

If I had added a very tiny (parody, not to be taken seriously) on the corner I would be fine, correct?

I need to know these things because I have some fun plans coming up....

Alex:

An old East L.A. saying: "If you play, you pay."

Besides the legal fees I had referred to in my prior post, are those you ought to incur now to get an opinion from an intellectual property (IP) lawyer as to your legal exposure for what you wish to post - As you say, "…I have some fun plans coming up...."

I did not imply, one way or the other, whether the content you took down was unassailably free speech and parody, or whether it was an appropriation of part of a photograph whose copyright was reserved by Randi on his website. Nor did I comment as to whether you could gain any legal protection by adding material suggested by Scott Cram. (By the way, I never viewed the content you took down, but I suspect that you used a photo of Randi from his website).

What I did express is that it appears prudent, to my mind, not to play with fire without a reliable legal opinion, and even after having obtained one, I feel that you would have to weigh the benefits of your "fun plans" with the potential downside.

Is it worth it to you to spend legal fees up front, or instead, publish your "fun plans" blindly without a legal opinion and take the risks of later consequences?

FWIW, if I were you, I'd stick to your "fun mentalism" on YouTube.

Arnon

P.S. If you are determined to "play," then contact the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) for a free opinion, if they'll give you one. Check out the "Chilling Effect" website posted by Jon_Thompson and see if you can find material on using someone's photograph without authorization. (Good luck with that!) I'd love to hear what you'll learn. Please post your follow-up efforts for us all to read.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Thank you, Arnon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Randi, Me, and a Million Bucks - A PhotoShop Montage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL