The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Family not into the whole magic thing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
black-dragon
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of black-dragon
How do you deal with your family not liking the thought of you becoming a magician? I love magic but I don't think my family wants me to become a magician or have anything to do with magic. They say things like "that was great." but they don't help me along.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Maybe they just see your fascination with magic as a passing fancy.

I began magic when go I was in my 30s and didn't have your problems.
I never got a lot of encouragement but I mystified them and they enjoyed what I did.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
What matters is whether you like magic or not. They are not the ones doing the magic.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
They are possibly concerned with you entertaining a passing fancy with magic to the exclusion of other pursuits- like a youngster who, when asked: "what do you want to be when you grow up?" who answers "I'm going to be a POET!"

That doesn't strike most people as a viable occupation...

Just do your magic, and do lots of other things too- sports, theatre, math and science, girls... Do everything.

The more learn about anything/everything, the better a magician you will eventually become, because magic is about more than card tricks, it's about the ***human experience*** in general, and the experience of the wondrous, specifically!

Perhaps you'll become the next Chris Angle, perhaps you'll "merely" be an amazingly talented amateur... Just don't let magic run your life, and don't let other people's approval or disapproval do so either!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Hey, my family was pretty much unsupportive of anything I did. Just ignore them and do what you want to do. Unless of course you're still living at home. Then you'll have to abide by their wishes and practice in private. But at least it gives you motivation to move out!
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
How old are you my friend? No offense . . . as it will be an important factor for giving you a balanced answer.
Cards never lie
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I never told my parents. Now, they don't miss any of my shows. Probably because I never said to them, "Hey, check this one out!"
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
It is somewhat unclear what you mean when you say, "How do you deal with your family not liking the thought of you becoming a magician?" This may mean that they do not like magic, magicians, or performances in general, do not like what they see that you specifically are doing, or perhaps are concerned that you want to forego your other options to become a "professional" magician relying exclusively on magic to put money in your pocket and food on the table. Each of these choices would generate a different response. Perhaps if you concentrated on practicing rather than their initial indifference, and then really knocked their socks off when you ultimately perform for them, they will appreciate your skills as an artist and change their attitude towards your creative pursuits.

:magicrabbit:
black-dragon
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of black-dragon
Quote:
On 2007-12-03 18:25, gaddy wrote:
They are possibly concerned with you entertaining a passing fancy with magic to the exclusion of other pursuits- like a youngster who, when asked: "what do you want to be when you grow up?" who answers "I'm going to be a POET!"

That doesn't strike most people as a viable occupation...

Just do your magic, and do lots of other things too- sports, theatre, math and science, girls... Do everything.

lol. I am a girl.

Quote:
The more learn about anything/everything, the better a magician you will eventually become, because magic is about more than card tricks, it's about the ***human experience*** in general, and the experience of the wondrous, specifically!

Perhaps you'll become the next Chris Angle, perhaps you'll "merely" be an amazingly talented amateur... Just don't let magic run your life, and don't let other people's approval or disapproval do so either!


Thanks! That’s the best advise any ones given me here
!
black-dragon
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of black-dragon
Quote:
On 2007-12-03 18:36, Payne wrote:
Hey, my family was pretty much unsupportive of anything I did. Just ignore them and do what you want to do. Unless of course you're still living at home. Then you'll have to abide by their wishes and practice in private. But at least it gives you motivation to move out!

I practice at the dead of night. I don't show them most of my tricks but if I really have a good one then I will show my sister who likes magic. they don't under stand why I love magic.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
And how old are you? As mentioned before, it might help understand where your family might be coming from.

Also, do what you like. If you like magic, learn magic. If you like a foreign language, learn it. It's your life and you'll have to live with the consequences of your decisions. Your parents are probably just trying to keep a bigger picture in mind.

Mark.
black-dragon
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of black-dragon
I really don't like to give my age out on wesites but I'm in my early teens.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
That would explain why your parents aren't chomping at the bit for you to become a magician.

The best suggestion? Take magic up as a hobby and see how you progress and if stay interested in it. As you grow older, you can then do other things with it. Shows, birthday parties, restaurants, etc...

Learn as much as you can. Practice, practice and practice. Perform as much as possible. You'd be surprised at the number of opportunities that are around you each day. You can perform an effect at school, church, standing in line at the movies, at the mall, while shopping, for the teller at the fast food restaurant who just took your order, etc...

In time, you'll be able to decide what you can/will do with magic. It's all about the journey anyway, not the destination.

Good luck. Mark.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
In that case the reaction of your family is understandable. I guess, they want you to have a solid education first. Something that I fully support. Go through the Café, as there have been some threads on this topic. There is also a topic called look before you leap.

Trying to make a living out of magic is not easy. It is even more difficult than trying to make a living out of music or acting. Again, I refer you to the search engine in the Café.

My advice is - show to your family that magic is a hobby for you, but make it clear that it is only a hobby/passion and nothing that you consider as a future occupation. This will take (if existing) fear from your family and gives you more support.

You got a lot of time on your hands. Time will tell you, if this is really your calling or not. In the meantime, enjoy and learn.

Remember, you do not need to be a pro to be a great and famous magician. Some of the best amongst us have normal day jobs - for example Bannon, Krenzel and many, many more. The famous magic inventor Matsuda is a salary man, who is inventing his great stuff in his free time, supported by his wife, the famous Dr. Sawai is a dentist . . . the list goes on and on . . .


Andy
Cards never lie
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-12-04 18:19, Andy the cardician wrote:

Trying to make a living out of magic is not easy. It is even more difficult than trying to make a living out of music or acting. Again, I refer you to the search engine in the Café.
Andy


I dispute this claim, but not the sentiment-- Andy is looking out for YOU!. IMHO It's easier to be a self employed magician than a self employed actor...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
I don't understand. Do your parents not support you because they think it's a fad or is it because they think its evil or something?
zeitgeistmovie.com will enlighten you. Trust me Smile
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-12-04 20:23, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-04 18:19, Andy the cardician wrote:

Trying to make a living out of magic is not easy. It is even more difficult than trying to make a living out of music or acting. Again, I refer you to the search engine in the Café.
Andy


I dispute this claim, but not the sentiment-- Andy is looking out for YOU!. IMHO It's easier to be a self employed magician than a self employed actor...


Thanks for the valid point. My bold statement will not always hold, as it depends where you are living and how much opportunity there is out there for you.

I was using the analogy to show that the road is rather rocky. Same as in the music and acting biz, we should not let the success of a few superstars blind and deceive us. If you watch the cool clips at the E website - wow, what a life . . . take a deck of cards and earn fame, fortune and mating partner(s). Here is the news - reality is a little bit different.
Cards never lie
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Families and family members are overrated.
Orphans get to say that.

"Open your eyes
Realize your not dead
Take a look at an open book
Do what you like, that's what I said
Do what you like." Ginger Baker
black-dragon
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of black-dragon
Quote:
On 2007-12-04 22:00, Ethereal wrote:
I don't understand. Do your parents not support you because they think it's a fad or is it because they think its evil or something?

nope thay thinks it's just a fad.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
It very well could be. But, hopefully you stick to it.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Family not into the whole magic thing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL