The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Linking Rings as everyday objects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
I'm sure this isn't original, but I haven't found anything out there yet.

Any ideas as pullng the rings out and claiming they are "something else"? So the audience doesn't immediately recognize them as magician's props?

Perhaps part of some machine, or a stage decoration, or a broken giant slinky....well these are silly suggestons, but you get the idea. I love the elegance of the metal rings, but I would like(at least for the act I have in mind) not to simply pull them from a bag.

Any thoughts?
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
What size rings are you using?
Orson
View Profile
New user
Australia
12 Posts

Profile of Orson
I came up with this idea years ago when I wanted to do a real gothic-like manip routine. I even looked into how I could build a raven pull instead of dove pull. hehe.. This never eventuated.
One of my ideas was to make linking rigs like circlua saw blade. It does however suffer many problems such as really hurting when you do a crash link. But dam they would look cool spinning in the light: )
You can treat your rings as parts of a chain. Tell a story about how something needs a chain. You have only a certain amount of time before the end of the world if you don't fix it so you have to magically link these metal hoops
It has already been done but there is the old liking coat hangers too.
Benny Orson
Paradox Engineer
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Linking cogs? Linking hub caps, linking elephant wedding rings (T.Seabrooke) Linking hula hoops for anorexic people...
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
533 Posts

Profile of travisb
In India I performed the linking rings (4") at an open mic at a Tibetan run restaurant. I suggested that I might be using "cheap costume jewelry from Rajastan," which was somewhat plausible if you knew what the arm bangles they wear there look like--which tourists at the restaurant did. I was hoping that by merely suggesting that I was using cheap costume jewelry--I also offered other suggestions that were less plausible as I intoduced the props--the audience might think that that was actually what I was using. Doubt it worked.

No idea how to justify larger rings. I generally don't, preferring to offer the trick as something "classic" and special and therefore needing no additional justification.

-Travis
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
There is a version of the linking rings that uses coat hangers.
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Yes...Camilo the Great Spanish Magician comes out with a towel and he talks about his "secret" hobby of stealing towells when he goes to hotels. But his hobby got so boring that now he is also stealing the towel holders. And he has the towel on the linking ring. He stats to show his collection of towells and towell holders and they start getting tangled, (linked) and so forth. Great presentation in his hands and extremely funny.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
With all the piercing we see on young people (a lot of which are rings) maybe something could be done with that theme.
Sammy J. Teague
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Ive done the rings for years without ever having an audience member claim I was using a magic shop prop.Why?... because most people don't realize what a "magic prop" is or even realize that we can purchase our supplies at such places. don't run if your not being chased and enjoy doing magic,especiallty the rings! Its the best trick ever,IMHO.
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Thanks for all the good suggestions guys. This is an idea I'm still working on. I agree with many of you, the Linking Rings, AS IS, are a beautiful piece of magic. But this specific act I'm working on has several criteria, one of which is everything must be identifiable with the real world. So yes, the towel rack idea is kind of where I was going. Or Coathangers. Or....
fallingblood
View Profile
New user
North Dakota
98 Posts

Profile of fallingblood
I've used coat hangers for awhile now. It works great for me as I come out on stage and then hang up my coat or sweater on a hanger. Then I go into a manipulation act which justifies me taking off my coat or sweater (as to show nothing is going up my sleeves). Coat hangers work very well in my case. I also like using hula hoops. Dick Zimmerman has a very good routine using hula hoops.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Look to heavy industry for similar parts
...to all the coins I've dropped here
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9091 Posts

Profile of funsway
Years ago I saw a guy link Hoola-hoops 'on the spin' -- the Magic Nook has a EBook package of linking ring ideas with 'real objects' call Bangles, Rings, Baubles and Beads - $5.00 cheap.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Linking Rings as everyday objects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL