The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Digital camera recommendation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Looking at getting a digital camera for the wife. Leaning towards a Canon Rebel digital since we already have a regular Canon Rebel. Any camera buffs out there with some recommendations? Megapixel size or anything? Trying to keep the price around $400 if possible. We have a small digital camera and it takes forever for it to take a picture, we miss out on a lot of sports shots that the kids are in while the camera thinks about taking the pic. Any recommendations are appreciated, thanks! Jim
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
The Rebel is a great camera, but is still fairly expensive (around $600), and that's before any lenses. I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ30, picked it up a couple years ago, but it still works great, and can be had on eBay for about half the original price. It has an SLR body like the Rebel, but the lens isn't detachable (you can add additional lenses to it though). It has 19x optical zoom and 8 mega pixels.
Here's an in-depth review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pa......fz30.asp
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I also have a Panasonic DMC-FZ30 - not your pocket size camera, but it's fast and takes excellent picture. It also allows creativity and many adds on. I bought it on Amazon.com a few years ago and still works great. It holds nicely in the hand too.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
The only problem with it is that it doesn't handle low light conditions well. If lighting isn't good, you'll end up with a little to a lot of film noise. It can be cleaned up in Photoshop or any other image editing program (save Paintbrush). All in all though, it's a great camera.

http://dpreview-img.fotki.com/gallery/pa......-165.jpg
http://dpreview-img.fotki.com/gallery/pa......0356.jpg
Examples of what you'll typically get and what you'll get with inadequate lighting.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I also would recommend almost any digital camera by Cannon!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I am not a camera expert, but I spent quite a bit of time searching for mine. I finally settled on an Olympus SP-500UZ. It has been a fantastic camera and many of my friends that are much more savvy than me, two being professionals, are all amazed at this unit. It seems to do everything and I'm still learning.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
Quote:
On 2007-12-04 15:08, kid iowa wrote:
Looking at getting a digital camera for the wife. Leaning towards a Canon Rebel digital since we already have a regular Canon Rebel. Any camera buffs out there with some recommendations? Megapixel size or anything? Trying to keep the price around $400 if possible. We have a small digital camera and it takes forever for it to take a picture, we miss out on a lot of sports shots that the kids are in while the camera thinks about taking the pic. Any recommendations are appreciated, thanks! Jim

Jim,

My girfriend did that for the same reason, expecting that the lenses would interchange. I'm not cameraliterate (how's that for a new word?) so I'm not sure sure why, but they aren't interhangeable. It might be a pecific model thing though so I'd suggest taking yours to the store and trying stuff out.

She likes it though.

Gene
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
The above comment is wrong. The digital rebel is exactly like the film version in every respect, including lens changing ability.

Canons take awesome pictures, but they aren't particularly fast (latency is the time between pushing the button and taking the picture). I use them for image quality and inexpensive lenses (your old lenses will work).

Don't be taken by the mega pixel thing. It is a consumer driven number that is producing worse cameras. As they shove more light sensors on to a tiny chip, the quality of those sensors is going down. I have a 2 megapixel Canon Elf that makes a fine 8x10.

I'm a studio manager, and have been senior photographer for 2 different ad agency's. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
-Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 06:55, Josh the Superfluous wrote:

I'm a studio manager, and have been senior photographer for 2 different ad agency's. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Can I have a job?
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Josh the superfluous, what would you recommend for a web cam? My nephew is moving to Montana and we want to stay in touch. Price should be under $100, I need to buy 3.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Josh, if you had around $400 for a camera, what would you recommend. I didn't know the word for it, but the wife is looking for something with a fast latency and has the look/feel of a Canon Rebel (doesn't necessarily have to be a Canon.) Thanks!
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Digital camera recommendation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL