The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Inside the Head of Donny Orbit-Full52.com (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
My friend Donny has a new ebook to be released through Full52.com, on sale tomorrow. I had the opportunity to look at an advanced copy, and all I can say is that the material is SOLID. All of them are workers. With Donny's permission, here is the intro:

It’s my very great pleasure to introduce you to one of the most ‘off the wall’
thinkers I’ve encountered in a long, long time. Some of you may already be
familiar with Donny Orbit. To date his very unique material has appeared in
‘Genii’, ‘MAGIC’ and ‘Antinomy’ and he was a contributor on Nathan Kranzo’s
amazing ‘Moving Tanline’ DVD.
If you haven’t yet had the pleasure, you’re in for a real treat! Donny exhibits
that very rare talent whereby his creations can be WAY outside the box in terms
of plot, but remain firmly fixed in the real world as far as method is concerned.
It is not often that you see such practical methods attached to such outlandish
effects.
I could try and draw comparisons to other magicians. I could tell you that the
material contained within would have been completely at home on the pages of
Paul Harris’ legendary ‘Art of Astonishment’ series. I could tell you I’m 100%
sure that the name Donny Orbit will soon become synonymous with offbeat,
commercial close up but instead, I’ll just let you absorb this collection of weird
and wonderful magic, plucked directly from inside the head of Donny Orbit!
Enjoy.
Dave Forrest.

I urge everyone to pick up a copy. 6 workers that will surely find their way into your reportoires.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6951 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I've only glanced over it so far but it looks to be very, very good indeed, Will post more once I read more thoroughly.

Man, that Dave Forrest has good taste Smile
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I agree. Dave has some serious chops and is willing to help magicians out who want to share their material. On a side not, I saw Donny fry with a version of Fresh Mint at the restaurant the other night.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Any idea on when this will be up today??

Oh, and did you get the file Cameron??
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6951 Posts

John,

Yes I did and thank you so much.

I am very happy to hear that Donny does his own version of Fresh Mint!

So here's my brief review of the PDF:

First off, the layout and photo illustrations are great as usual. The writing is clear and succinct. Dave's products always look top notch and this is no exception.

The only previous exposure I had to Donny was an effect I read of his in November's Genii Magazine called It Takes Money To Make Money. I thought it was a great plot and the handling couldn't have been more practical. So when Dave informed me that he was working on a booklet for Donny, I was very excited to see the material.
Here are the effects:

Superman -- Adrawing of a lump of coal is squeezed in the magicians
hand where it changes to a drawing of a diamond! The drawing then becomes
a REALDIAMOND!

This is one of my favorites in the book and might be something I need to add to the repetoire straight away. I am a sucker for drawings changing and turning into physical objects. Not only is the effect really cool, but like pretty much everything in the booklet, it's pretty easy to do as well.

Future Burn -- Aspectator chooses any finger on a drawing of a
hand. The magician opens a sealed envelope and reveals that he correctly
predicted which finger would be chosen. Then he reveals a REALBLISTER on
his own corresponding finger!

Another practical, astonishing effect. I predicted a lot of people will go nuts over this one. The blister is ingenious as I had no idea ho it would work when I read the description of the effect. The method make me slap my forehead and go "Doh!"

Souped Can -- Two selected cards are lost into the pack. Both cards are
then found through a random number offered by the spectators. The cards are
lost for a second time and the spectators proceed to find both cards with the
deck in their own hands!

This is one of those tricks that will play huge. The method is very simple but the construction is brilliant and will truly leave spectators speeches as it appears that they find their own cards twice.

Just In Case -- Three cards are chosen and returned to the pack. One
card appears under the card case but, it’s the wrong card. With a snap, anoth-
er card appears under the case and this time, it IS a selection! Then, the first
‘wrong’ card changes into a selection and finally the whole deck appears under
the card case except for the final selection!

Love this one. Has a card uner drink feel with a lot of magic and a serious kick to the head at the end.

Foiled -- The magician demonstrates how an impression of a coin can be
made in tin foil. Then he proceeds to ‘mint’ a second coin right out of the
mould! Cautioning that it is a fake he then SCREWSTHECOININTO ATIN
FOILBALLAND HANDS ITOUTFOR EXAMINATION!

Probably my second favorite trick in the book. Just too good. Very, very clever.

Cherry Thing -- The stalk of a cherry is plucked from the fruit and
knotted in the magicians mouth! The knotted stalk is then magically
re-attached to the cherry and handed out for examination!

Great thinking on this one. Definitely more of a situational effect but when the time is right this will seriously mess with their heads.

All the material is very practical. Seriously good stuff from Donny.

This should be available sometime today at http://www.full52.com
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Cheers for the info, sounds like some fresh ideas... looking forward to picking this up.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
On sale now.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Thanks Xander,

Yes, 'Inside the Head of Donny Orbit' is now available from the website.

If offbeat, quirky, Sankey/Harris-esque magic is what you're all about - look no further - Donny's magic is simply sublime!

There is a link in my signature.

Many thanks,

Dave.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Anyone else pick this up yet and care to give comments?

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Hey guys,

Just talked to Donny. He said I could send e-books to the first 3 people to pm me, as long as they are willing to post a review when it is done.

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Ive had a good look through it now. What ever Donny is smokin I want some. Some trully off the wall ideas that rawk. I have added 2 rout9ines from here to my rotational and I'm sure more will follow, Hes also gave me a few ideas on the creating front lol. Well thought out and presented pdf too. For the cost id say its a steal

ALan
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
280 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
Here is my review of "Inside the Head". I will not rehash the permise of each effect, but give my thoughts on each one.

Superman - This is a wonderful idea. I love the simplicity of the effect. The story is nice, as everyone can relate to wanting to be a superhero. This effect can be performed for children or adults. It is very easy to perform, so you can focus on the presentation more.

Future Burn - This is a darker effect, but I really like it. It is a standard prediction style effect, but the idea for the blister ending is very cool, and a great way to achieve it. Once again, another simple effect to perform.

Souped Can - This is a very nice card effect. If you are good with basic sleights, then you will be fine. Sadly, I am a beginner when it comes to card sleights, so this effect will take some time for me to get down.

Just in Case - Once again, a very nice effect. I agree that it has that card under drink feeling. If you are a card guy, this will be no problem.

Foiled - I love this effect. Very easy to perform, and it looks great. Just when the spectator thinks you created a new coin, its gone.

Cherry Thing - Another effect that I really enjoyed. Very easy to perform, and looks really cool. I enjoyed the premise of the story as well.

Overall I think this is a great ebook. It is laid out perfectly, with great pictures and clear explanations. Just enough patter to give you ideas, without shoving words in your mouth Smile

Obviously the two card effects will need some work for me to do smoothly. But if you are good with cards, they will be a piece of cake. As to the other effects, Superman and Foiled were my favorites, followed by Future Burn and Cherry Thing. I will be working on all four of those effects right away. This book definitely provides some different thinking. All of the effects look great. The non card effects are all very easy to perform, which will definitely lend more focus on your presentation. I can see already the physical patter that I can be added to these effects will be a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend this ebook! If you have any other questions I can answer, please ask. Great job Donny and Dave!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6951 Posts

I sat down and tried Folied last night. So simple yet so great looking!
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Hey guys, Donny here. My friend Xander has been putting the legwork into promoting my book, so I would first like to thank him. Marvin, thank you for taking the time to review the book. I am glad you like the effects. If anyone has any specific questions that I can help with, please email me at donny.orbit@gmail.com

When I first approached Dave with my effects, he was very responsive. I have never considered doing an ebook or a book at all for that matter, until a few of my friends said that my ideas were worth putting out. I wanted to just try and post them on a few sites, but I was a little bit leary that they would fall by the wayside. Dave is sitting on about 25 of my effects, so if this ebook does well enough, there might be a sequel in the works next year.

I urge anyone that has a passion for magic and an idea that they feel is worthwhile to approach Dave. He is a gentleman and has a taste for commercial magic. For anyone interested in some of my other works, I had an effect in last months Genii, as well as this months Magic. Issue 10 of Antimony I had an effect that utilizes a move of mine called the BS Move, which is a flourishy handling of the Bill Simon prophecy move. Xander has also posted a signed coin to sugar packet effect of mine in the secret sessions area.

As cheesy as it may sound, I dedicate my ebook to all the magicians who have come before me and the generations after me. And of course to Dave who has become my first true online friend.

Cameron and Alan, I cherish everything the 2 of you have put out to date. You are the future of magic and I hope that one day I can stand beside both of you in terms of creativity and knowledge.

Thanks again everyone.

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
410 Posts

Profile of boinko
Thanks to both Xander and Donny for a peek at the PDF.

I'll post a longer review next week, but I like what I'm reading. Sorta like (and think Dave mentioned this above) Paul Harris meets Jay Sankey and together they get caffeinated on one too many double-espressos.

Donny's 'Souped Can' is what I'm going to zero in on later this evening and over the weekend. This has shades of Barrie Richardson's impromptu ACAAN effect -- and that's a good thing because I love that sort of devious thinking. I look forward to practicing this one.

I'm not a pro -- very much an amateur who performs for friends, family, and co-workers -- but all of Donny's effects here are *exactly* the sort of off-beat, kick-in-the-pants effects that my peeps love to see.

Chris

(BTW -- The layout of Donny's PDF is top-notch. I'm a tech writer and editor in my "real life" -- so a good mix of form and content is important. Dave and his BigBlindMedia do a *fantastic* visual job on all of their releases -- videos and PDFs -- and this one is no exception. Clear layout, great writing, and a great photograph on the cover. I'm an obsessive collector of all of BBM's stuff, and I'm thrilled to get a sneak peek at this.)
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Ok, well, I also got a copy to have a look at and share my thoughts of...if I repeat something already said, apologies, but I am giving a thorough review of my own thoughts Smile

Ok, first off...layout...

The book is 16 pages long, front to back, including Cover, back cover, contents, introduction etc...which brings it down to about 12 pages, so roughly 2 pages an effect. 17 clear pictures which are the right shots for the piece of text, which highlight the important areas of the description to the methods. The effects are well written and in enough detail for the average Magician to be able to pick up each effect without too much difficulty, and remember, if there are any problems...you have the creator or the Café at your disposal to ask questions for help and advice.

Now onto the effects...

Superman: A very interesting effect, with a very interesting method. Everything seems logical, and is a very Magical routine that is uncomplicated and easy to follow, which is great for both the Magician and spectator. You can set this up for an entire nights work and the nice thing is the routine resets itself, which is always great for the worker. I am sure from the concept described that many people will come up with alternate routines and ideas so the method can be used to achieve different things. I like this, and would say this is probably my second favourite and one of the most workable in the book.

Futureburn: As soon as I read the effect I came up with a method in my head...it happened to be the same taught...though I have since come up with an improvement for myself. I think in the right hands this will really be a killer effect, but I really don't see me using this. The method makes use of ideas and methods to which I don't work with and won't work with, but that is just myself. I am sure people will say I am missing out, as I said, the effect is a killer, but it is just something I won't use. I might work on the idea I already have and see if I can make it more workable for myself.

Souped Can: Another interesting effect, that I think all card Magicians will add to their reportoire. Another clever method behind the madness, and a really 'simple' routine that gives a really good effect, and can be done from a shuffled deck, which every worker loves! I like this as much as Superman, so this is also my second favourite effect in the book!

Just in case: A card under box routine, which is nothing really new, but is well put together. As we all know anyway, it is hard to come up with something 'new' in Magic, so that part is fine. The routine is simple and to the point, and there are a couple parts which don't suit me, and as I have my own card under box, I probably am a little biased as to why this doesn't suit me, as my method works for me, but for anyone who doesn't have a card under box routine, this is a fair enough routine to start with.

Foiled: My favourite routine from the book! Simple in method, again, simple in effect, and really just a brilliant piece of thinking! This is the type of routine that could make the price of the book worth it! Not that that others won't, but this is just really nice, and looks great. It works with all currency, and I have been playing with this for a little amount of time already, but I am really enjoying it, and THIS is one that is going straight into my act! You can even techincally borrow a coin if you are clever enough, Donny, you are a clever man!!

Cherry thing: A really nice routine, with a nice performance to it...but I can't see my doing it much, as it is one of those routines that you really have to be in the right situation etc, however, if you ARE in the right situation, I can't think of many other effects with Cherries I would want to perform. This would go nicely with a Kostya Kimlats routine I believe...nice thinking, I like it, just a shame I won't be able to use it as much as I would want to. It isn't just something I could bring out, well, I suppose I could, but it isn't something I would want to just bring out. But is a really nice piece of thinking.

Overall, this is a very nice eBook. Some cracking routines, some great thought behind the routines and methods, and nicely written. Really can't complain about this, pick this up if you want some clever routines that you will actually use!

Thanks and congrats Donny!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Christopher,

I don't have an account yet, but I suppose I will have to set one up soon, but I appreciate everyone taking the time to review this. Myself and Dave wanted to limit the amount of card items, mainly because most of my effects use obscure objects. However, if you read an entire book of obscurity, you have to question when the items would be performed. Michael Weber is the king of seemingly impromptu magic, so cherry thing is my nod to his situational style. I have used this effect at house parties and it kills. If I am going to perform, I ask if they might be able to have a bowl of cherries with stems, for drinks and an effect I want to share. I have not had anyone question this...yet.

I am glad thus far that everyone has found at least one effect that everyone likes. I think that as a community if we continue to try to elevate the quality of magic released, our artform will progress better than the past few years. I honestly feel that before you release something, you should have a few performers who have been in the trenches look over your effects, and be ready to take constructive criticism. I am reminded of something Michael Close once said, for every one effect that he releases, there are at least a dozen more that don't see the light of day.

As a side note, I have had a few people ask me about my tattoo. It is a self designed tribal piece that runs the entire left arm, from the back of my hand to the shoulder. I haven't lost any gigs based on appearance yet. Personality will always trump appearance, as long as you appear to be a professional.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR EVERYONES SUPPORT

do
do magic

www.8bom.net
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Also, for anyone who isn't a member of Dave's email list, I would try to sign up soon. Anyone who orders Donny's book will get another pdf for free! I believe that excludes Cherry Cola Queen, however.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Sorry to pop in sporadically with bits of information, but as someone mentioned earlier, caffeine is very prevalent in my system. I totally forgot to thank Christopher for his review in my last post. For those of you who don't know, Christopher is himself an accomplished magician who has released 2 of the best dvd's on the market within the past year. Bright Ideas is a nice collection of effects and Impervious is my go to coin in bottle routine. Thanks again Christopher.

Donny
do magic

www.8bom.net
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I performed Foiled tonight for my family at dinner and they kept bringing me more foil so they could see it again and again.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Inside the Head of Donny Orbit-Full52.com (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL