The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls & Net (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
I hope this is the area to discuss this. I am very interested in the Balls & Net and the 3 ball routine. I already have Johnny Thompson's notes on the Balls & Net and the L&L video The Fabulous Three Ball Trick. I know there is a Frank Garcia book on it but have had trouble finding it. Does anyone know of any other sources of information on this routine or similar routines/sleights.

Thanks,
Jon
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I PMed you Jon! Hope you find an application for the balls!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
Rannie,

I PMed you back.

Thanks,

Jon
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
There is lots out there on this. The 3-ball routine probably goes way back in magic history. Silent Mora was known for this routine, but I don't know if the Mora routine was ever published. Maybe someone here knows? Vernon has a routine (based on Mora's, I believe) in the Vernon Book of magic. Scarne has a very nice routine in Stars of Magic. David Roth published his version back in the late 1970s - early 1980s -- worth seeking out. Milt Kort had a version of Chromosphere, which you can find in The Magic of Milt Kort. I know there are other versions of the Chromo balls (Daley, Luka?), but I am not familiar with them, so others should advise.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1535 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
John Rogers also has a great version that he sells. If memory serves, it's his own handling. He sells everything you need for the routine on his website, http://www.woodencigars.com.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
Thanks Gary! As far as I know, Vernon saw Mora do it with a silk or hankerchief and then asked to use it and then was the one who applied the net and showed it back to Mora. (Please correct me if I am wrong) A lot of new information I will have to read up on. Plus this gives me another excuse to buy more books!

Rick, I looked on his site and saw a DVD for the Walrus 3 ball routine. Is this the one you were refering to, if so let me know and I'll pick it up? The funny thing is I looked at the wooden cigars awhile back and never noticed this. Thanks!

Jon
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1535 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I just checked his site and for some reason he doesn't have the one I was talking about any longer...you might want to email him on it.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've seen all of these. I saw Vernon teach the routine at a lecture about 30 years ago. The BEST handling of all of them is Johnny Thompson's.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thompson's is well thought out and the best. Why bother with others?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1302 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I also enjoy doing Roth's routine that is taught on one of his old Star's of Magic videos.
The Thompson work on it is great too.
I have Garcia's book and that was what first got me interested in the Famous three ball routine. It is a true test of sleight of hand for sure.
I use Fakini Balls for these routines.
Steve Draun also has a decent version on his book that ends with a great final load.
Mobius
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
Pete,

I agree Thompson's routine is fantastic. I got hooked on it when I saw him perform it at a convention. I guess I just wanted to read up on and learn other forms of the trick to learn the background. Also I enjoy the nice variations of the trick that go in different directions like Flip's Asteroids or Gary Ouellet's three ball routine. I have even seen a nice version using the Sylvester pitch. Hopefully, this clarifies my ongoing search for other material.

Thanks,
Jon
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The Danny Archer routine is one of the newer ones and was a joy to watch.

I prefer to use sponge balls with the plot. I learned my routine from a Dick Stoner tape and have been performing it for years. The finale is priceless!

BTW, I use a fish net, as used to scoop fish from an aquarium, as the net in the routine.
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
I have viewed the 'world's greatest...: 3 ball trick and the Johnny Thompson routine is indeed superb. Camirand Academy offers a DVD with John Rogers - Walrus, 3 ball routine. It is very well thought out presentation with an explanation showing his presentation. It is very much worth looking at (IMHO). On the disc is also a presentation on a rope routine that is also nicely done. Between the two DVDS I suspect there is enough options for a 3 ball act to be developed and customized for almost al performing venues.

John
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I don't know why but I HATE the 3 ball trick. I do love the sponge balls in the net however. I've seen Thompsons, Roth's, and Archer's versions and I just can't get into it whatsoever. I just always feel like there is one very "specific" moment in each phase that can be seen.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4855 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Marlo had a cool handleing in a 1957 linking ring Mag.!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
I actually did some research on all the 3 ball routines out there. I came up with a rather extensive list and know for a fact that I don't have all of them on there lol. I'll have to dig it up and post it when I can find it.

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
So I found the list that I researched. AGAIN, I know this isn't all that's out there and looking at it now I realize it's even shorter than I originally thought earlier lol. Here ya go...

Aldo Colombini-Get The Ball Rolling
Fernando Keops-3 Ball Transposition
Ed Marlo-3 Ball Routine
Dr. Daley-Chromospheres
Milt Kort-3 Ball Routine
Sol Stone-Chaperone
Steve Draun-Steve’s Marbles
Mike Gallo-The Gallo Pearl & 3 Balls in a Fountain
Silent Mora-3 Ball Routine
Johnny Thompson-3 Ball Transposition
Frank Garcia-The Secrets to the 3 Ball Trick
Greg Webb-The Book That Doesn’t Exist
John Cornelius-3 Ball Routine
Scott F. Guinn-Having a Ball
Danny Archer-3 Ball Routine & Called Balls
John Luka-Chromo Balls
John Rogers-Walrus 3 Ball Routine
John Scarne-3 Ball Trick
Dai Vernon-3 Ball Transposition
David Roth-3 Ball Routine
John Carney-The Thirteenth Victim
Edwin Sachs-Chinese Marble Trick
Lewis Ganson-In The Art of Close-Up Magic Vol. 1

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
I perform Johnny Thompson's routine frequently. I've done it on stage, at tables, and as stand-up. It always gets a great response. In a close-up setting I usually use it as a follow up to Ammar's Coins Through Scarf since I've got the scarf (net) in my hands ready to go.
Mike Webb
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Mike Webb
Quote:
On 2007-12-26 23:32, David Neighbors wrote:
Marlo had a cool handleing in a 1957 linking ring Mag.!

Very smooth!!!!
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1632 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Hey guys,

Could someone help me locate a copy of the Linking Ring that Marlo's 3 Ball routine was in? This is an effect I have been working on for quite a while. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls & Net (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL