The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jokers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Taking out the jokers from a deck is rather common for laypeople, prior starting a game. Most card tricks can be done with a jocker in the deck. Guess, it is a habit thing.

And you are right, there is no point in having the jokers separate
Cards never lie
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
I am amazed at how many of these posts do not address the original question. On the other hand, I should not be amazed at all, as these are magicians speaking and many magicians often fail to see the point (just go to any magic convention and listen to the after-lecture questions).

Also, I think that most people here just like to show off, without taking heed to the actual question.

Simon, I think your question is good, and I would say also that I'm not too keen on Jay Sankey's approach to say that he keeps the jokers separate so they don't start doing tricks of their own, as I find that a bit twee and patronising. (Jay Sankey is a great entertainer, though, and a nice guy).

I think the best thing is to keep things straighforward. To most audiences, I would suggest that they are not really going to be too bothered that the jokers are not kept in the deck that is in your hands. This is because they are probably used to playing with cards in which the jokers are not present anyway. So they would not find anything strange about the jokers not being in the deck. What they MIGHT find strange is that you bothered to put the two jokers in your POCKET if you knew you were going to need them later! So perhaps the location of the jokers has some signifiance with respect to your question. If you take them out of a little black plastic wallet with clear pockets in it, then an audience would think that was a bit odd. If you took them straight out of your pocket, it might seem a bit odd too (although less so). If you took them out of the card box that was either on the table or in your pocket, the audience would think that was more normal. However, regarding the rationale (presentational viewpoint)for keeping them separate (wherever they are) - I would say that the simplest reason would be that you prefer to handle 52 cards rather than 54 (which in my case is true). Or that you don't normally keep the jokers in the deck because (maybe) they tend to get in the way as you don't normally need them. But these statements are probably best left unsaid, as I believe that an audience would instinctively understand them anyway.

Aside from that, I really like Cain's comment about acting, and how magicians think they can act sufficiently well. Normally (if my experience is anything to go by) they can't. We've all seen those embarrassing "er.. oh, hang on - where are the?... oh yeah, silly me... here we go" moments.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Thomas Newton
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Thomas Newton
Quote:
On 2007-12-08 16:39, Top Hat wrote:
I am amazed at how many of these posts do not address the original question.

Don't be - this is a thread on a forum, not a question on an exam paper.
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Absolutely - and that's why I agree with Simon that a minimum of three jokers should always be used, one of which has a different-colored back, and one of which is slightly sticky. Keep one of the jokers in your outer breast pocket (facing the audience) and the other two inside a crystal casket, secured with a small brass padlock. The key should be inside a small brown envelope stuck to your forehead with spit. Hope this helps.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Again why worry about it? The more you try to give reason to something that doesn't even matter to the spectators in the first place it makes them wonder why you are even trying to convince them on having the jokers in your pocket or your combination microwave back scratcher that's on four wheels There is no reason to even mention why the jokers are not in the deck and are in a pocket or wallet The spectators do not care period.

Having the jokers out of the deck is not an odd thing. Why turn it into one?
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
686 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
I take the Jokers out because they're funny. The last thing I need in my deck is a couple of cards. <insert rimshot>
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jokers? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL