The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Talking tricks (josh jay) v Bill Malone (Here I go again) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fitty
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Fitty
I am undecided which set to get Talking Tricks or the New Bill Malone. Any suggestions ?
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Both! If I HAD to choose one over the other...i think by 0.000000001% difference I would go for the Talk about Tricks DVDs
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
I'll second Talk About Tricks. Now if you said the old Malone set, I'd have to go with that.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
As much as I like Bill Malone, I too would have to go with Talk About Tricks.
Yes, I have both the DVD sets in question.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
reuvanes
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of reuvanes
Talk About Tricks without a question!
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Talk About Tricks was better in my opinion. And yes, I have both.

Jeff
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Talk about Tricks. This set made me like Josh Jay again! There is a lot of useable material on there.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Depends what you want to achieve.

I would imagine that if you want commercial, practical magic for real people then Bill Malone would be the one to go for, if you want clever stuff that magicians get a kick out of then go with Joshua Jay's one.

Would that be fair?
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
Hello guys,

I saw my name in the heading and read this topic, surprised and delighted by your kind words. I must say, however, that Bill Malone is a fine magician and hero of mine. I’ve seen his DVDs and they’re excellent.

But I wanted to comment about the Talk About Tricks material specifically, and not in comparison with anything else.

I want to emphasize that when we assembled this collection (3 discs…8 hours), we chose items that played PARTICULARLY WELL for a lay audience. I run tricks in MAGIC every month that span from “workers” to “experimental,” but I’m proud to say that what is on the DVD is some of the most practical, useable material I’ve come across.

Better still, there’s an advantage to this “compilation” format; we are able to choose particularly strong magic from a huge pool of magicians. Since lots of magicians have contributed to Talk about Tricks over the last six years, we were able to choose only the strongest items from each contributor.

And better still, seven of those contributors came to the filming to perform and explain their choice material. They are John Lovick, Rune Klan, Joel Givens, Francis Menotti, Raj Madhok, Rick Maue, and Paul Cummins.

So what Futureal observes is understandable. There’s a “moves” section on each DVD that details some fun method-based stuff to work on…some of the more fun and visual moves I’ve published. But the ROUTINES are solid, I believe, for lay audiences and magicians alike. And the viewer-response, both here and elsewhere, affirms this.

I hope this doesn’t seem overly sensitive—it’s just that this set was literally a year in the making…the planning took forever. And one of our main goals was to choose commercial material.

Anyway, I’ve just posted some more review snippets and details about the shoot on my site, as well as a special, holiday offer that just started this week. Check it out!

http://www.joshuajay.com
Thanks everyone for your kind words,
Josh
Fitty
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Fitty
I bought talk about tricks at the weekend .Im not one for giving reviews but this set is brilliant.I made the mistake of watching the full set in one go ! Not advisable but its like a good book I just couldn't put it down .The format of having other magicians giving their views works very well.Im going to have to watch it again in segments .

How old is Josh ? He has so much knowledge but only looks in his mid twenties.

My original question was which to buy between Bill Malone and Josh Jay .I think I picked the right one .Having said that I will have to save up and buy Bill Malone next .It can be an expensive hobby magic cant it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Talking tricks (josh jay) v Bill Malone (Here I go again) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL