The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The "problem" with low stakes home games. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
There is one thing that really ****es me off about home games where people don't play for stakes that make them uncomfortable. It's great if you are stealing money, but it completely ruins the game and renders one of the most important aspects of poker obsolete otherwise.

Anyone know what it is that ****es me off so much?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The thrill is gone? Lets hear it.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Well, see if someone gets it. It so fundamental that someone who plays home games must have come across it.
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
They call all your bluffs?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Bingo!

Not only that they draw to every single hand and play it to the bitter end. The game becomes a joke. If you have some kind of max bet it's even more of a joke. Like I said, if you are taking them off it's great, you can max out on *** near every deal. But if you are playing on the square it's lame as hell. You can't do anything with these ****s.

It's almost impossible to get the guys to bet over their heads. So it's almost impossible to play poker with them. You might as well play indian poker, nothing matters.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
You gotta loosen em up. Rounds of shots help. Before you know it they are all riding the edge. I have a regular with all butch lesbians and me the only guy. Its my favorite home game. Gets pretty foul too compared to just guys. At times there is side betting right over the top of an active poker game and side betting on unrelated stuff altogether, like a three ring circus. I never moved in that game once. Its far too much fun to mess up.

The fun in home games is you gotta float through several till you find folks that are fun to play with. Sometimes we laugh at that game to the point we wake up with sore ribs. Money still changes hands freely.

Lifes too short to get stuck in a dead head rut. Move on till you find some good regulars.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I love a good home game. I just had bad poker. And if people aren't willing to get out of their comfort zones, you get bad poker. What is poker without bluffing? Nothing.
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
I have been fortunate to find a regular game for really small stakes where the players are top notch. I think it is important for those who work in poker the majority of the time to find one of these games. It helps keep ones square game tight so when one is moving, they better understand situations.

I feel you though vandy, if they stakes aren't good enough and your not learning anything, I would just leave. But if you are moving and the stakes are decent while playing with a bunch of calling stations, I'd stay for a bit.

-Reasons
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Remind me to tell you about the guy that folded 26 times in a row, when I get time. Believe it or not he got a free seat at the WPT. No justice at all. that's when I started looking for fun people, instead of fun games. I still sit down in a few big ones every year, but once you taste fun, those are kind of lacking too.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
That's exactly why you can't teach your kids to play poker if you play "just for chips"
While they can learn the rules, they can't learn strategy and tactics. If it's just chips, it doesn't hurt to lose. If it doesn't hurt to lose, you never learn to play.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Raise blinds? That's what we do. Otherwise play gets boring, and the game takes forever.

That's all I got...
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
Quote:
On 2007-12-06 00:18, BenTrain (Nordatrax) wrote:
Otherwise play gets boring, and the game takes forever.

"Forever" is not really a bad thing if you're working a game. That's why I prefer cash games.

CC
reasons14
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of reasons14
I think most prefer cash games when working. As far as raising the blinds, that's great, but I think that's the problem he is talking about.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
682 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
If you hate home games, then don't play at any low stakes table in any California Card Room. You will be against 8 guys who will alternately ride you to the river with third pair and draw out. Also, the "NO ENGLISH" rule is weakly adhered to. You will hear Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, Arabic, Farsi and Spanish and sometimes all on the same table. Even if the floor slaps their hand, you can bet 5 hands later they'll be back at it.

There is a 40 NLHE game nearby by that is virtually Spanish only and half the table will splash chips to the river playing mid-high card. I've never complained because I comprehend enough Spanish to know they are just severely berating the dealer and each others play.

You can stack a lot of chips playing tables like this but you'll have to be able to stomach the catastrophic bad beats.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15737 Posts

Profile of tommy
So the "problem" with low stakes home games is they don't play for high stakes.

Well I can't argue with that! Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-12-06 03:09, tommy wrote:
So the "problem" with low stakes home games is they don't play for high stakes.

Well I can't argue with that! Smile

Yep, that's it.
bill7
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of bill7
ITS GOTTA HURT IF YOU LOSE. THE STAKES HAVE TO BE HIGH ENOUGH TO HURT. IF IT doesn't BOTHER YOU TO GIVE AWAY MONEY, SEND ME SOME.
BIll G.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
682 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Will you fix your caps lock if one of us sends you money?

Sometimes, no matter how high the stakes, there always seems to be that one person to whom money means little. I've been in 500 NLHE games where there have been several guys "slumming it" while waiting for a seat to open in a big game. They will go all in just for the fun of it. One time, I sat next to a guy that moved all in 10 times in a row without ever looking at his cards. He annouced his intentions before the deal. He didn't win a single hand but I don't think he really cared. He was looking for some action to pass the time.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
What a nice guy...

CC
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Poker, in any form, is one of the crappiest card games out there if there isn't money involved. Games like Gin or Euchre can still be fun somehow, but not Poker.
tjo'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The "problem" with low stakes home games. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL