The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The "problem" with low stakes home games. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bill7
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of bill7
NAH, I WONT BE FIXING MY CAPS LOCK AT ALL ANYTIME SOON. BECAUSE IAM SURE YOU WONT BE SENDING ANY MONEY. So the stakes werent high enough to hurt the guy who kept going all in. HE didn't mind gambling with a 500 blind and going all in 10xs in a row. I cant even imagine how much he lost.WOW those must have been some really huge pots. EVERYONE has to have some kind of limit for pain and humiliation. Especially a 500 blind. so that was the small blind? Or the big blind? BIG BIG POTS. NOw you see that would make me freak out. OF course there are some billionaire freaks of nature. Wouldnt it be nice to be in game with some like that who didn't mind losing. 10xs in a row. I think that's why they invented the world series. To bring the fish to the surface
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
682 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Actually, the buy in was 500 but the blinds were 5/10. I am not a baller by any means. It didn't matter during that guy's stretch of betting. If you wanted to play, you had to call at least 500 and fade whatever bets after the flop from any other players. He was just killing time while waiting for a seat to open on the 1000 minimum, no maximum buy in table.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1332 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
If you want to see a low stakes game become a high one...just cold deck 'em giving them all hands and watch how quickly all that money go into the pot; but most of all watch the countenance on their face as they think that they have the best hand to win with and then watch it after they all lose.

Doc
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
682 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Doc,

Would you be the one to take down that pot or would you wait a couple of hands to hit winner with a low set over top two?

Just wondering,
raw!
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
Don't try this at home kids but:

quote]

2. Increasing the Betting Stakes (35)
After increasing the betting pace, the good player can often increase the betting stakes sharply. Most games can withstand a tenfold to hundred fold increase in the betting stakes. Even when the big losers seem to be at their financial limits, the stakes can usually be increased significantly.
The good player increases the stakes in carefully planned steps. Several temporary increases may be necessary before higher stakes become permanent. But in some games, stakes can be increased immediately and rapidly. Opportunities to increase the stakes occur when players want:
a chance to get even by increasing the ante or stakes in the late hours or during the last round a more equitable relationship to the ante by increasing the first-round or opening bets l a chance to protect a hand by increasing the middle-round bets an opportunity to bet a good hand by increasing the last-round bets. The stakes are normally easier to increase after the betting pace increases. Opposition to higher stakes and game modifications often diminishes when the resisting player is:

Tired, losing heavily or winning big for the evening, on a losing or awinning streak, upset by some occurrence during the game, affected by personal problems drinking.

A good way to increase the stakes is to let those players who want to double the stakes, for example, play at double stakes whenever they are the only players left in the hand.

When John Finn started playing in the Monday night game, it was already seven years old and the stakes had been stabilized for five years. A dollar was the maximum bet, and only straight draw and stud games were allowed. The chart on page 67 shows how both the betting pace and stakes steadily increased after John took control of the game:

-Poker a Guaranteed Income for Life-

[/quote]

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Couple more tips to up the game.

1. Work beyond your chip set. That is use a hot stamped set that is stamped low so the whole set is used up and the remainder has to be carried on paper. In our case its always carried over to a high stakes chip set that has 50,100, and 200 chips on the high end. If you don't get what I'm saying move on to 2.

2. Dealers choice any game called.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
Quote:
On 2007-12-08 18:53, KingStardog wrote:
1. Work beyond your chip set.

Shhh!

:)

CC
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
575 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Could calling you every time be an exploitable weakness? Maybe just never bluff, and always bet the limit when you have a strong hand?

Andru
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15736 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes of course you should do the opposite. Its more fun at a tight table though as you can bully everyone. A loose table is not fun as you must play tight.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
That's a workable strategy luvsi, you play your game, don't let the inevitable suck-outs on the river put you on tilt......and then when you've got a real hand do what you've got to do to get the money into the pot.

Anybody who plays the same way over and over again (calling down to the river with crap) opens the door to being seriously exploited by a more skilled player..........but in the meantime there's those suck-outs Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The "problem" with low stakes home games. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL