The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » RNT2 CUPS (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
abbascup
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of abbascup
Better get your cups ordered! Jake announced he is retiring in 2008.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Geez.. Please relax!!!!

I don't remember him putting in the paperwork for this, do you?
Of course not. So...

Until we see the paperwork (and it needs to be filled out properly) he won't be doing any retiring.

Sorry but those are the rules, Jake!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I have it on good enough authority to say..... DITTO to Franks first line!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I heard on good authority something slightly different... I guess we'll have
to wait for Jake to clarify.. Jake???
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3384 Posts

Profile of Julie
Have you noticed he's "cleaning house" and selling choice items from his own collection...?
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Probably just making room for more "choice" items to add Smile
abbascup
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of abbascup
The Man sure has pumped out some cups!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I wish I could make cups.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Why? The tooling cost will kill you.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
I would like to see the process in making cups. I think Jake should make a documentary...

Does he need new tools for each type of cup?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can see how cups and other things are made at http://www.jamesriser.com

Each cup needs new individual forms to be made. Not cheap. usually is between $700 -- $1000 to make jigs for the first cup.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I determined a few years ago that I'm not a cup collector and very happy with my only 2 sets, (Riser standard and Sherwood silver engraved.) However having spoken with Jake her for a few years and hearing people rave about his cups, I guess I have to get moving and get a set if he's really going to retire.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Here's the deal about Jake's cups - they really are quality. Everything about them screams skill. I have a small set of his that I use for bed-hopping but my full size set is a Johnson set. I've had it for a few years and am too used to them to change. It's a combo set and adjusted perfectly for my act. For example, I put one ball on the top of the cup. Put the other cup atop it and lift both at the same time and the ball doesn't penetrate until the cup is about 3 inches off the table.

A very compelling illusion.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 07:49, rikbrooks wrote:
Here's the deal about Jake's cups....I have a small set of his that I use for bed-hopping....

Now *that* I gotta see!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 07:49, rikbrooks wrote:
Here's the deal about Jake's cups - they really are quality.

You have said it right there. It is about quality, and the great personal service you get when you buy cups from RNT2. Jake really dose every thing in his power to make sure you are happy with your order. I know this first hand.

I believe Jake makes more then just cups. He makes works of art . To be able to handle and shape the medal by hand to produce the beauties that he dose is more then a craft it is an art.

And that is my two cents,
Sean
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1463 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Some thought from an owner of some of Jakes cups.

They are of excellent quality and I am happy with every one of them but...

Jakes service in unparalleled in my experience. Jake has gone out of his way to help me and has always put his heart and soul into making sure that my buying has been as painless as possible.
I have contacted him many times by PM, fewer times by e-mail and twice by telephone. Each time he has been gracious and so helpful to me.

I would like to say that I wish him all the best for his retirement and that I also hope he has many peaceful and happy years with his family and friends.

All the best Jake,
Tom
"But there isn't a door"
KOPHI
View Profile
New user
Ohakalaky
9 Posts

Profile of KOPHI
I thought Jake's daughter was going to take over? Wasn't that the rumor for a while?
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Oh well. Let's stop speculating. Maybe Jake will chime in, and maybe not.

Jake is a man among men in this industry and if anyone deserves a break from work and the ability to relax it is him. I wish him all the best in whatever he does.

-Todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I think we should speculate and start some wicked rumors raising Jake to status of legendary proportion! Smile
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2132 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Gentlemen and Ladies Smile Consider this my official paperwork. At the end of 2008, my daughter will be taking my place. A lot of you are holding her work. I feel confident that by the end of the new year, she'll be ready.

As to actual retirement, what I will be doing is working on private delvelopement for individuals. As Bill Palmer stated in one thread, there will be soem developements that will astonish people, not just from RNT II, but others both associated in the production of cups and balls and new entry people with vision and insight. For those with a true passion for the art and the cups & balls, you will be taken into a new era, from Golden to Platinum.

I appreciate everyones enthusiasm and support, I never set out to do this for fame and certainly not fortune, but for fun and the love of doing it.

The new staff will be comprised of 3 females, my daughter being one of them. I refer to the 3 of them as the Charmed ones because they have a magic amongst each other when ever they get together. What ever path they decide to take RNT II on I'm sure it will be in the interest of the performer and collectors.

Most of the products for 2008 will consist of precious metals, geniuine gem stones and very rare woods. I can hint this much as their will be an egyptian line and an Okito style line like no one has ever seen before.

In regards to unloading or selling off my collection, due to a recent run of bad luck, meaning in one day lost the heating pump and in enroute to pick up the parts for it I threw a piston rod in my car. I'm mearly trying to subsidise the repairs 2 wks before the holidays. I have rationalized, not sure how, but somehow a vehicle and heat have taken priority over material possessions. I'm not sure how long this priority will last Smile

Thank you again for your support, kind words and enthusiasm.

Happy Holidays to all! And may God bless everyone with a healthy, safe and spiritual New Years.

Sincerely,
Jake

Quote:
On 2007-12-07 00:03, Pete Biro wrote:
You can see how cups and other things are made at http://www.jamesriser.com

Each cup needs new individual forms to be made. Not cheap. usually is between $700 -- $1000 to make jigs for the first cup.

If you can get aluminum tooling for that much you're getting a deal. Take the tooling for the Don Alan chop cup, 7 pieces of tooling, 8000.00 set of Steel chucks, breakdown blocks, dimpler, rollers etc. If you're going to run a lot of pieces, steel is the only way to go as you'll end up wearing your aluminum block to the point of cracking after maybe 100 pieces or so.

It's no cheap venture to start up that's for sure.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » RNT2 CUPS (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL