The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stripper deck- how do you make sure the spec keeps orientation? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dennytheblue
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of dennytheblue
When you tell a spectator to pick a card, how do you guarantee that (which ever way you do it?) it goes back in the opposite way? Sometimes they may flip it
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
In my experience normally the spec will not change the orientaion of the card. If they do, then simply watch for it and naturally turn the deck to compensate. You just have to be comfortable enough with it and make it look natural and unsuspicious. Just my 2 cents.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Instead of having them put it back opposite, why not fan it to them to pick, then reverse fan (which reverses the deck) so they put it in just as they took it out?
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
dennytheblue
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of dennytheblue
Yes I agree with that but if they take it and reverse it and I can't track the change I'm screwed
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Yes, you gotta pay close attention... but then again, just like in the movie Prestige, you never know when someone might drop a button or ball bearing down the pistol barrel in the famous "shoot me" trick.

The one thing I am finding out as I try to claw my way out of "newbieness" is that much of your skill lies in being able to control your audience.

Fan the deck and them pick a card... reverse fan, and if you see them switch, simply switch yourself on an off beat moment that isn't noticed... most lay people don't pay that close attention Im finding. They are too busy looking for more intricate evidence than what is right before them.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
criverstamu09
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of criverstamu09
Quote:
On 2007-12-06 15:08, dennytheblue wrote:
Yes I agree with that but if they take it and reverse it and I can't track the change I'm screwed

Try practicing with a friend and ask them to reverse the card and see if you can catch it. After a little while, it will become second nature to you.
"Who you are moment to moment is just a story."
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Spread or fan the deck for a selection.
Tell them to be very careful not to let you see the card.
By saying something like this it's likely they will draw out the card and keep it close to thier chest and peek at it.
This should prevent them from over handling and turning the card.
Close the spread, turn the deck around, have the card replaced, etc.

It's still possible that you won't see them turn the card so you should have an 'out'. Possibly by using a sleight or crimp.
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
If performing at a table, you can tell them to lay the card down on the table between you face down so that you can't see the value. Until they set the card down, pay attention to what they're doing with the card. But once their card is set down, you can adjust casually as necessary. Then when it comes time for them to thrust their card back into the deck, it's likely that they won't do any re-orientation of the card.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Right on Jaz!
dennytheblue, don't worry so much about it! Perform as much as you can and with time you will be able to anticipate and resolve problems like these without even thinking about it.
Personally, this has never happened to me when using a stripper deck. I guess I just got lucky.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
It's never happened to me either. They seem to rotate the card up toward their eyes, and then back into the deck. However, I always keep an invisible deck in my pocket as an "out". If their card were to go back in the wrong way, I would have them tell me their card, and then show them what I had previously done with the "other deck".

Jim
dennytheblue
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of dennytheblue
^hah that's a great idea, thanks
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Don't worry about it, it will be fine!
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Always have an out. Always.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Stripper deck- how do you make sure the spec keeps orientation? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL