The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Another lav mic question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
It struck me that although lavalier (lapel) mics are generally considered to be the most inefficient and least useful type of mic for voice pickup, they are exactly what you see the news anchors wearing on most nightly newscasts.

So are they using some sort of super-duper lav mic that we don't know about? Or, as I recall someone suggested, is the lav mic they use just a dummy, not actually connected to anything and just "for show," while a shotgun or overhead mic actually does all the real work?

Hopefully our resident PA experts can chime in on this. Meanwhile, I'd be happy to use whatever lav mic Peter Jennings was using, it seemed to work quite well for him! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think lav mics are great for newscasters becuase they're just sitting there on their *** looking straight ahead so they are in a very controlled environment with no risk of feedback.

Makes sense as you don't see have to see a mic on their face.
So it's perfect.

Magicians move their head and body and things are not so controlled. there's music, background noise, so they need something that is better suited for that environment. And a lav is not best for that.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
You don't have a speaker that can crank the sound back into the microphone, causing feedback. The monitors are in ear monitors, if there are any at all. The output from the microphone can't go back into the microphone - it's broadcast.

In a live performance, the audience and the performer are in the same room. The PA cranks out the sound and this sound could be picked up by the microphone, again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Another lav mic question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL