The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Clean Ring Vanish (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Can anyone direct me to a clean (non reel)finger ring vanish source? I have a number of 'vanish-style' props such as a jewelers ring box, rattle box and so forth which I tend not to use, much preferring a simpler technique.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
magician_carter
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of magician_carter
Try sleeving the ring. That would leave your hands clean. No Gimmick
Without Magic, Life is Boring.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hold the borrowed finger ring at your fingertips to display it. Put it in your other hand. It’s vanished! OK, that is accomplished by
1. Retention vanish,
2. French Drop,
3. Shuttle pass,
4. False transfer,
5. Thumb palm vanish (a la’ thimble move),
6. And so forth…

The point is that just about any barehanded coin, thimble, or ball vanish will work.

Sleeving, as already mentioned, is a very easy method to acomplish the task. Using a simple impromptu Topit is also worth exploring (pin a hank in your coat).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
On Aldo Colombini's video, Standing Room Only, there is a vanish of a ring which was threaded on a short length of rope (12 inches). A genuine knot is tied around the ring. The rope is transferred to the other hand or could be placed in a spectator pocket or hat. The ring vanishes from the knot and can be discovered in your nest of boxes etc. I use it all the time. It's very slick. Smile
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
Tomohiro Maeda, one of top Japanese close up magician, uses a shortened thumb tip to vanish a finger ring. He calls it "Choco Vanish". In his hands, it looks very casual.
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
My new favorite vanish (really a switch) is what Greg Wilson calls the "Pitch-n-Ditch", from the Ring Leader video. If you have it, it is 56:55 into the video.

You toss the ring in the air, and when it comes back down, it is shown to be a coin (or whatever it is changing into). The misdirection of watching the object in the air is all you need to quickly clean up.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Got Nerves of steel? Slip the ring on, and claim it's gone. keep the tips of your fingers pointed at the audience, keep talking, and don't make this your first trick (they have to know you're capable of vanishing something small)

Meyer Yedid used to do this under the guise of putting the ring into a purse frame.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Many thanks to everyone for their valued contributions. It's much appreciated!
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Try David Williamson's Striking Vanish. They see the ring, you tap it with a pen and it's gone.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Hold the ring at your fingertips, with your 1st and 2nd finger in the front(towards spec), and your thumb behind. In the action of your other hand taking the ring, simply pinch it. It should now end up around the tip of your thumb. You can even spread your fingers somewhat, and the ring will not be seen. The heat will be off, for a ditch.
family/magic/music/life
samthemagical
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
90 Posts

Profile of samthemagical
There is something you might try, I stumbled across and never found useful. PM for more info:
Magician, ring in hand, gives it a squeeze. he opens his hand except for index and thumb, which are holding the now 'invisible' ring.
From there, any # of things can happen, of course.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I must say the best ring vanish (for nest of boxes in this case, but can be used for other routines) was watching master Robert Harbin.

The ring VANISHES WHILE HELD BY SPECTATOR.

Yes, it is toooooo simple, but IMHO is the best...

It is the oldest way too.

You have a ring sewn in the corner of a handkerchief. You put the borrowed ring under the handkerchief and let spectator hold her ring... through the handkerchief (is really the dupe and you have gone south with hers)...

Then when you whisk away the handkerchief and the ring is gone... you cannot believe how strong this "old chesnut" plays.

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Elwood
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Elwood
I have to agree with you Pete, the old hankie vanish really plays strong!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Clean Ring Vanish (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL