The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Basic Coins Across - Feedback Requested (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Was hoping I could get some feedback on this routine as well. I realize the video was not very close to adequately see the coins, and I was missing my "volunteer" for the end of the routine, but you guys will get the idea. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03s0jiuU1bo
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
I thought it looked good. Performance and patter was relaxed and flowing. The only issue I had with it is right before the second coin goes over. Your thumb shoots way out while doing your business.

Roth, and others, recommend keeping your thumb and forefinger touching. Some people use misdirection, or fancy hand movements, to get around this and that's fine. In this case, you did neither and, as a spectator, it seemed like a suspicious moment.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Chad, thanks for the feedback. When looking at the video myself just minutes after shooting it, I noticed the very same thing. I have tried to no avail to keep my thumb and finger together, but I have a hard time with it. I suppose my best bet is to misdirect. Other than coin No. 2, the rest looked ok?
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Yep.

Hopefully others will weigh in, but it looked good to me.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I wouldn't cross my hands on coin 3 across. People might think somehow you secretly dropped a coin from hand to hand. It is not neccessary method wise.

At that phase in the routine you are holding 4 coins at the fingertips spread your arms out, put distance between the coins. Roth has them both drop into his hand at this point, and then shows the coin transit.

Here is a tip, when I perform this routine, it occured to me, holding all the coins at the fingertips like that during a coins across routine lends itself to a visible (4 Fly??) type transit for this one phase.
Click to visit:
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Corbett, I thought it was a nice routine. The cp's need a little work, but I've seen few cp's, including my own, that didn't need a little work. I thought the spider vanish at the end was great.
Wes
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
876 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Roll up the sleeves and keep the distance between hands and only connect hands when doing the dirty work. Otherwise good job and keep up the good work.
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 08:27, Chad Barnard wrote:
Your thumb shoots way out while doing your business.

Roth, and others, recommend keeping your thumb and forefinger touching. Some people use misdirection, or fancy hand movements, to get around this and that's fine. In this case, you did neither and, as a spectator, it seemed like a suspicious moment.

I've got the perfect misdirection for the cp if you are in Texas (esp during college football season). Every time you cp, just let you thumb and pinky do what they are inclined to do and say "hook'em horns".....(If you don't watch American college football you won't get the joke).
Wes
housermagic
View Profile
New user
In the mountains
71 Posts

Profile of housermagic
Very nicely done.
Bill
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Wow, thanks everyone for the great feedback. I appreciate everyone taking the time to weigh-in. I am making notes as I read through the thread. Better cp's, sleeves up, and more distance between hands on coin 3. Thanks again guys.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Lookin good man! Same basic comments as already made but also maybe think about a benzais (sp) for the 2nd coin?!?!
Look forward to seeing more!
Mick
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Looks nice to me, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Nice routine, and I agree with all of the comments above. Nice table too- where did you get it?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I built that table from some instructions on Michael Ammar's website. This is the table he uses, because he designed it himself. It's the best magic table I've owned, it looks expensive, but isn't, and it was a piece of cake to make.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
I like the table very much. Looks nice, and I'm glad to hear it was easy to make.

The routine itself, as with many "Coins Across" routines, suffers the fatal flaw of violating Darwin Ortiz's "No Contact Rule" - which states:
Quote:
"...if an effect involves an object traveling from point A to point B, the effect will be substantially stronger if point A and point B never come in contact with each other Strong Magic, p.67 - 69

Roth's "Shell Coins Across" and Jennings' "Peripatetic Coins" (two very similar routines) fail this test miserably - and are weak because of that.

If you like the "Coins Across" plot you would do well to eliminate the practice of continually bringing all (or most) of the coins - and both hands - together throughout the routine. Failing to address this critical flaw will always result in an inferior effect, and there are a number of great ways around the problem. However, continually re-counting the coins and fumbling them around between your hands prior to each "magical" phase is just bad magic, in my opinion.

Quote:
"The bulk of what most magicians perform will always reflect what is easiest to do, NOT WHAT HAS THE STRONGEST IMPACT ON AN AUDIENCE. Strong Magic, p. 69 [emphasis added]

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Good job with the Spider Vanish at the end... it looked very nice.
Eschew obfuscation
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I'm with Dan on the idea of trying to avoid crossing the hands during one of the phases as the spec's will be drawn into thinking that you transfered a coin at this point (even though you're not).

The spider vanish was very convincing.
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
Good going,it's not easy when you are trying to film yourself but you did well...

I agree as above about not crossing the hands because a spec might think you did some think sneaky at that point...but overall I enjoyed your performance..

Best

Blade.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 08:30, ctroyer wrote:
Chad, thanks for the feedback. When looking at the video myself just minutes after shooting it, I noticed the very same thing. I have tried to no avail to keep my thumb and finger together, but I have a hard time with it. I suppose my best bet is to misdirect.

I had the same problem with my thumb. I solved it by keeping a coin in CP as often as I could, while watching TV for example, and continually moving the coin from CP to Fingertip Rest and back again, always keeping my thumb against the side of my first finger.

It was tough at first, but now whenever I start to palm a coin my thumb goes up against my first finger automatically.

I think that's a better bet than misdirection.

The rest of the routine looked nice.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've appreciated the comments from everyone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Basic Coins Across - Feedback Requested (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL