The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Duration of IP rights in magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Quote:
Those who buy secrets want them for the right reason (to perform).

Perhaps! But many times these same people become frustrated and then expose. While it may true for the majority of folks, I'm just not convinced of that point of view, for everyone.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 17:52, C. Loubard wrote:
Quote:
Those who buy secrets want them for the right reason (to perform).

Perhaps! But many times these same people become frustrated and then expose. While it may true for the majority of folks, I'm just not convinced of that point of view, for everyone.

I can't argue with you there. It's a temptation many go through and these days too easy to do on YouTube. I exposed a trick long ago. The second trick I ever bought was an invisible deck. I did it for someone and impressed them with it but then immediately realized I was out of material. I jumped to the only thing I could offer to impress them next and said..." Uh.....wanna see how its done?"

I exposed it and he seemed impressed but from that point on when ever I did another trick he looked at them differently and wanted to see the cards or inspect every little thing. I quickly learned that I had ruined the magic for him. I never exposed anything again.. LOL.

I suspect many of the YouTube exposers are exactly what you say.. Frustrated kids who never spent the time to make a trick impress people so they went for the only thing left in their arsenal and simply wanted to impress people with how it works.

Best,

Tim
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Perfect, Tim. Many of us have experienced the same.

How, then, does one control it? I realize you said you wish you had the answer, but, in my opinion, it's going to take a combined effort from everyone to make it happen...After all, "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link."
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-01-16 18:58, C. Loubard wrote:
Perfect, Tim. Many of us have experienced the same.

How, then, does one control it? I realize you said you wish you had the answer, but, in my opinion, it's going to take a combined effort from everyone to make it happen...After all, "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link."

I don't think I've heard a better analogy EVER! You can have 100 magicians all doing it right and BAM.. one guy who wants to fly different hurts them all.

Although I don't have the answer I suspect no magician ever did and that's how ethics got to become so strong in magic and why we will go to such lengths to support them and at the same time dis someone who doesn't play buy the rules.

Best,

Tim
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Tim, agreed! But how do you reach out to those that are not a part of this forum, and have not had the chance to read this section of the forum?

I truly don't know how.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Great points, gentlemen. I'm afraid, however, that even a combined effort won't be able to stop exposure as the Internet empowers individuals, and especially teens, to disseminate information to a worldwide audience. This is unprecedented in human history. In a country of over 300 million people, there will always be knuckleheads who will act inappropriately, without regard to rules, legalities, ethics, and without respect. I don't believe there is anything to do to stop exposure, but at least one can protect certain creations from being copied and sold. This isn't true for non-apparatus tricks, such as card tricks described in a book or dvd. There is no viable protection for these, only for prevention of copying the book or dvd itself. One can only speak for one's own actions, and encourage others to act ethically, which is a great reason in itself for the Café's existence.

Cheers,
John
C. Loubard
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of C. Loubard
Jonnyboy, spot on about exposure.

I do feel there are ways to help mitigate exposure; it won't stop it completely, but it will help.

the mass commercialization of magic opens doors to exposers. In a world where you can't control ethics and morals, it seems obvious that you try and control who can get there hands on the goods.

I've said this before, I'm not a magician, nor do I like magic, and therefore have no business being able to click on a buy now button or freely walk into a magic shop and buy anything. Sure, I'm not going to expose anything, but its not because someone tells me its wrong; I just don't care.

Profiling potential students of magic would be better for magic. separating the curious from the serious won't completely stop exposure but it will do more good than harm.

If these online shops had someone fill out a questionnaire and then had folks sign an NDA, and also make folks aware that their IP address is being cataloged. it would make it more troublesome for the curious. The serious would have nothing to worry about because their intent is honest.

I understand folks need to make money and run a business, but at what cost? The other day I walked into a magic shop to buy some cards, and the clerk was helping a young woman who was shopping for a gift for someone. She walked out with a book and a couple of DVDs. You know what went through my mind? This is exactly the problem. How is anyone to know the true intentions of the person receiving the gifts. Maybe the gift is for some teen age kid who really just doesn't care. Maybe the kid is one of those show off types that tries to buy friendship by sharing secrets with others. Maybe he'll take the gifts and let his friends use them and then those friends will then hand them to someone else. How different would it have been if the clerk simply asked the woman, Why don't you bring that person in and I'll talk to him to find out what his interests are so we make sure he ends up with something he'll really enjoy?

The instant gratification of receiving money is, in my opinion, the problem. I feel these shop owners, online and brick and mortar, have lost sight of what magic really means, because they are trying to carve out a livelihood and having to pay the bills.

Then there's the creators who know how this information is being disseminated, but continue to come out with products. Perhaps, instead of selling videos at 30 dollars. they should be sold at 500 dollars each. I mean, after all, these are secrets and if you're serious about magic, you might very well spend the money. It cost me well over 800 dollars to learn a simple secret one time. Sure I had the stuff to make the item, but that's not what I was buying. I was buying the secret. Magic is about secrets and therefore shouldn't cost the same amount as buying a movie. 30 dollar DVDs is honestly, in my opinion, insulting. You guys should be getting much more than that. Raise the prices profile properly and have folks sign NDAs and you will see a dramatic decrease in exposure.

Of course, this is all random thinking from a non-magician.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Duration of IP rights in magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL