The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Christains and violent illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
Send him another one. I sent three and I finally got a response. It may just take him a bit.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Hi Kerry,

Thanks for a great article about Head Choppers. Well said! I'm forwarding your article to a friend of mine who performs this effect in his gospel and kid shows.

Two summers ago my friend and I performed together at an outdoor show and he had a young girl on stage for his head chopper effect. I felt very bad for her because his premise was that she would be asked a simple question and if answered correctly, would win a valuable prize. But if she lied, she would receive a punishment (head chopper hidden on stage). The magician basically implied she was lying about her answer and used a few gags to 'encourage' her to tell the truth. He even pulled out a large machette knife in a threatening manner to encourage her to tell the truth. When she stuck to her original answer, the penality was revealed, the chopper. The girl was accused of lying, insulted, threatened, and the brunt of his jokes. The audience laughed but the girls face told a different story. I was completely shocked by the performance and almost wished I didn't invite him to perform with me.

I found my friend's head chopper routine very distasteful and inappropriate on many levels. Insulting the spectator by accusing them of lying, threatening them with bodily hard, even asking her father if his daughter always told lies. I'm very surprised the father didn't jump up on stage to rescue his daughter. I certainly would have done so.

So I feel there is no room for a head chopper routine in a children's show, a gospel show, or any show. Let the 'Don Rickles' of the world insult the audience, and let the magicians (especially gospel magicians) show respect to the audience at all times.

Just my 10 cents.

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Christains and violent illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL