The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Malini Egg Bag -- Good DVD recommendation anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Loboto
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD USA
1 Post

Profile of Loboto
Greetings everyone, I am just beginning to pick up the Malini Egg Bag, and I am finding Miller's description to be a little vague, and while I like Brooke's a whole lot better, I would really like to see the routine worked through on a DVD that I can pause and slow mo my way through in order to really see and get a feel for what is going on and what should be done. I know that Charlie Miller actually was on a DVD in the Masters series, but would anyone recommend this particular DVD, or would you be inclined to suggest another, such as the "Teach-In" series, or something else? I am interested in knowing as I don't want to waste $35.00 after $35.00 due to trial and error on DVDs. And I'd really rather learn from the professionals who really know what they are talking about and to pay for it, if you can appreciate what I am getting at. But any help or suggestions that anyone might be able to give I would be most appreciative of and thankful for. Thanks.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Can't go wrong with Steven's/twin cities magic egg bag dvd. It's got a lot of performers doing their routines- Billy Macomb's alone is worth the admission price! Johnny Thompson's take on Miller's routine is simply great, too.

I also like Ron Bauer's pamphlet on the egg bag- and it's cheap!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Loboto,

If cost effectiveness is your aim, I'll offer my two cents:

I've been doing the Ken Brooke routine for over a year now, having now performed it in public dozens of times (I don't think I've quite reached the "hundreds of times" threshold, so I'll be conservative).

I carefully studied the Ken Brooke and Charlie Miller manuscripts for several weeks, then carefully worked through the Brooke routine, move for move, until it was automatic. At that time, I wasn't completely convinced that it was that strong, but figured I'd try it out.

I was (and am) astonished at how strongly the routine plays! It is so well constructed that I get audible gasps from the audience. My routine still closely resembles Brooke's, but I've inevitably begun to fashion it to my own style. At the start, however, I mostly did Brooke's routine as written, although I omitted several of the jokes that didn't fit me.

So, I think you have everything you need right now, without paying another cent. True, watching a performance on DVD can be very helpful, but I think that the extra work involved in working things out on your own from a printed manuscript just serves to deepen your understanding of the effect and method.

Whichever way you choose: good luck and have fun with it!
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Loboto:

I hope the following advice is helpful:

I own the Lewis, Mullica, McComb and Miller "Teach In" video on the Egg Bag. Great performances but, frankly, it helped me very little with the technique. I also own the Brooke manuscript. However, what has been most practical for me? A fantastic DVD by Dan Tong (Volume 2) called "Finally!". Besides containing some GREAT material on the chop cup and the Professor's Nightmare, it has an absolutely wonderful routine on the Malini egg bag which is explained in VISUAL DETAIL. It teaches you how to execute and perform a powerful routine with a kicker ending. I also recommend you get volume 1 for other close up / restaurant material.

This worked for me. Hope it works for you.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Another thing you may want to consider is to get Hobson's egg bag. His take on the Malini is wonderful. The moves are easier and his bag is awesome.

Currently I use both the original Malini and Hobson egg bags.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Quote:
On 2007-12-19 11:02, elgranmago wrote:
A fantastic DVD by Dan Tong (Volume 2) called "Finally!". Besides containing some GREAT material on the chop cup and the Professor's Nightmare, it has an absolutely wonderful routine on the Malini egg bag which is explained in VISUAL DETAIL. It teaches you how to execute and perform a powerful routine with a kicker ending. I also recommend you get volume 1 for other close up / restaurant material.

Dan sells these videos and the other books recommended here: http://www.magicbypauline.com/eggbag.html
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of drmagic
Here's the link to his DVDs: http://www.magicbypauline.com/dvd%20page.html
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Get Greater Magic.
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
I second the recommendation for Dan Tong's Finally Vol. 2 -- Excellent material and investment.

But, since your profile lists you as from Baltimore, you absolutely must visit Denny Haney at his new studio outside Essex, MD if you want the serious dope on the Malini egg bag. I learned the Malini egg bag handling from Denny at one of his lectures, after seeing him demonstrate it, and what he teaches is born of his performing this on stage countless times, but as if it were up close for just one --pretty powerful stuff.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
There is a new DVD coming out soon on the egg bag.

My recommendation would be to wait because I think this will be one of the best resources to learn the routine. More information will be coming out soon(within the next month). In the meantime, if you need something to study get the Charlie Miller booklet on the egg bag from Magic Inc. It's less than $10 (or used to be).

Jordan
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As an old white-haired magician, Johnny Thompson is still the top of the egg bag magic for me. He's out on the road lecturing. Do your self a favor and catch the first one you can.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I got the go ahead today, so here it is:

Bob White is releasing a DVD on the Malini Egg Bag. If anyone here knows Bob or has seen him do the egg bag, then you know how good it is. This is his signature trick and it is excellent. It should be ready to go soon. I will post later regarding the details soon.

Jordan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Malini Egg Bag -- Good DVD recommendation anyone? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL