The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't Go See.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MitchMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Quebec
277 Posts

Profile of MitchMagic
I Am Legend, what a terrible film adaptation of the wonderful book.

I am a fan of zombie movies, always have been and always will be. But this is **** compared to the other recent zombie flicks that have hit the screens.

The plot:

A virus (KV virus) mutates from a Cancer cure and wipes out the entire earth's population. Robert Neville (Will Smith) is living alone in New York city and attempts to find a cure for the deadly virus while at the same time fending off zombies.

The zombies in this film are unrealistic and make it hard to believe that they were infected by a virus. They look more paranormal than infected human beings.

While I jumped a bit at certain parts and got emotional too; the film just didn't bring enough up to the plate. It left a lot unexplained.

Why are so many post-apocalyptic films set in NYC?

If you are looking for a great zombie film, check out Planet Terror, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead, etc.

Or you can see this one and be disappointed Smile.

Mitchell
Magic For Darfur
Save Us.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
NYC is where the world will end. Piece by piece. Pieces of peace tearing away.

- Professor Onions
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I saw it this weekend. I have very little expectations and still found it lacking. The ending was too quick and the zombies too CG. It still provide some tense moments and an actual emotional moment. A lot was not explained.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Too bad.

I have seen Vincent Price's "The Last Man on Earth", and Heston's "The Omega Man" (thought Omega much better than Last Man....).

For those who have seen all 3, how would you rate them compared to each other?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
Chessmann, I am going to go see it soon and I love the others.
Omega Man is one on my favorite movies.
But I own Last Man and Omega Man, so I will be able to make a good comparison.

Randi
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2007-12-16 12:23, MitchMagic wrote:
The zombies in this film are unrealistic

So ... they don't act like all the REAL zombies we see everyday, walking around on the streets?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Welcome to Southport...The place zombies where based on.
MitchMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Quebec
277 Posts

Profile of MitchMagic
Quote:
On 2007-12-16 14:53, rossmacrae wrote:
Quote:
The zombies in this film are unrealistic

So ... they don't act like all the REAL zombies we see everyday, walking around on the streets?

What I mean by zombies being unrealistic is that a virus cannot physically change someone to look like the ones in this film. This virus made them look as if they were ghosts, ghouls, daemons.

Had they resurrected from the dead, the way the zombies looked would be a lot more fitting.

Mitchell
Magic For Darfur
Save Us.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
The computer graphic look of the "zombies" was odd. Will Smith did a wonderful job in the film though. I would have like to have seen some of the initial days of the quarantined New York.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:

The zombies in this film are unrealistic and make it hard to believe that they were infected by a virus. They look more paranormal than infected human beings.

Zombies? They made them into Zombies? ***s! They're suppose to be Vampires. At least that's the one thing they got right in the Omega Man. Unfortunately it was the only thing. The Vincent Price vehicle is still the only film version that captured the essence of the original story.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MitchMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Quebec
277 Posts

Profile of MitchMagic
Quote:
On 2007-12-16 17:53, Payne wrote:
Quote:

Zombies? They made them into Zombies? ***s! They're suppose to be Vampires. At least that's the one thing they got right in the Omega Man. Unfortunately it was the only thing. The Vincent Price vehicle is still the only film version that captured the essence of the original story.

Well they never really state what they are, but they look like paranormal zombies, but act a bit like vampires. They cannot go in sunlight, but they crawl up buildings.

Mitchell
Magic For Darfur
Save Us.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I watched 'The Omega Man' in its entirety today for (I think) the first time. Not bad. Not great, either, but not bad.

I saw 'I Am Omega' (a 2007, straight to video, movie) a few weeks back. That was also based on Matheson's novel, and was actually a really good low budget movie. Look for it at your local video rental store.

But I'm in no rush to see 'I am Legend'. It'll be on television eventually.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
It's a vampire movie, not zombie.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I love Will Smith's work and ran to see this, but it fell flat.

2+2 didn't equal 4. When that happens, you scratch your head and don't go along for the ride.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
I was arguing with my family about this this morning, whether we should go see it or not.

I absolutely LOVE zombie movies, and it's kind of weird right now. this may be off topic but if you are into zombies I recommend getting the "zombie survival guide," by Max Brooks, it is EXCELLENT.

anyways, I will see this film now because it was discussed in this forum, therefore giving it a free advertisement.

P.S. if you think about it even the 'zombies,' in 28 days/weeks later are not zombies, because they are created from the R.A.G.E. virus, therefore just making them diseased people, but I get the point.
Have you Amazed?
MitchMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Quebec
277 Posts

Profile of MitchMagic
Quote:
On 2007-12-17 00:47, Ray_Mago wrote:
I was arguing with my family about this this morning, whether we should go see it or not.

I absolutely LOVE zombie movies, and it's kind of weird right now. this may be off topic but if you are into zombies I recommend getting the "zombie survival guide," by Max Brooks, it is EXCELLENT.

anyways, I will see this film now because it was discussed in this forum, therefore giving it a free advertisement.

P.S. if you think about it even the 'zombies,' in 28 days/weeks later are not zombies, because they are created from the R.A.G.E. virus, therefore just making them diseased people, but I get the point.

Or as the characters in 28 Days/Weeks Later so elegantly put it... "The Infected".

Mitchell
Magic For Darfur
Save Us.
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
Yes, that makes it seem much more fancy.
Have you Amazed?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't Go See.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL