The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Diamond Jam or Twist & Shout anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
So what do you think about bringing your balloons vs just getting some when you get there?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Hold on a minute ....... are we talking about Jeff McBride as in masks and card manipulation that my mate Mat was hooked on back in 2000?

OK so I know you don't know Mat - but the masks and card manipulation should make it clear which one I am talkabout. If it is I did not know he did balloons as well.

Well its a small world.
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants World
Hi Dave,

Jeff McBride will be teaching at Twist and Shout '08. Yes, "the" Jeff McBride. He has already hosted two sessions of his magic seminar specifically for balloon entertainers, and has been impressed enough by the amazing talent in the balloon community to come as a featured instructor at the T&S event. He'll be doing both a morning and afternoon pre-convention half day seminar, plus a few regularly scheduled classes during the event.

As far as bringing balloons, I usually bring my regular balloon busking bag, then buy balloons as needed at the T&S store. There's also TONS of donated balloons for use in the jam room by Qualatex and Betallatex, so you should have all your bases covered!
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
Just got back from Diamond Jam in AZ.
I had a lot of fun and learned even more!!!! Michael Ports class was amazing. He knows his stuff.
I was NOT impressed by Ben Alexander. In my opinion, he lacks people skills. I watched him in the Jam room and I just got some very bad vibes from him. If you want to know more email me off list. Other than that, Mark placed second with a great Magic/Balloon act, and Will Roya rocked the house!!!! They both have skills!!!!
SO, who is going to Twist and Shout?
RC
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
Eddie,

I'll be at Twist and Shout. Unlike Diamond Jam, I will be there for the whole time. I am looking forward to it. Mark's Magic/Balloon act was great. His timing was supurb. I had to skip out before the awards banquet. From reading between the lines of other posts on other boards, it sounds like your act with Robbie, Brian and Jack also won an award. Is that true?

Steve Yarosko
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Yes !!! Eddie, Brian, Robbie, Jack and Ramone did the YMCA dressed the part.

Eddie of course had the Makita tool belt on!!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
Ramon Medellin
http://www.ramonmedellin.com/
Had a lot of fun!!! The world of balloons is exploding. Are you ready for the ride? IF you have never been to a Balloon Convention, Twist and Shout is the Super Bowl of it all. IF you live close enough to Boston GO FOR IT!!! Look me up.
We placed 3rd after Mark who placed second and a Japanese act who placed 1st.
See you there Rob and Steve!!!!
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I'm there! getting there the night befor, finding a place to crash for the night, check in and do the master class thing, get no sleep, learn some new stuff, forget the new stuff due to sleep dep. work on getting a latex alergy, compeat in some thing, limp home.
Odd thought, Magic Café jam in the jam room? your thoughts, put a voice to the people we type to.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Pokie you should be easy to find in that outfit!!!!

Love to talk. See you then.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
I'll be at T & S, and in March, at the Master Class for Balloon Entertainers in Las Vegas.

Other comments about the $5 fee at the door, and class schedules:

Some folks go to NO classes; they just hang out in the jam room, and enjoy the camaraderie. So, they don't need to pay for the classes. This all started, from what I've heard, from the original large balloon artist convention, T-Jam. Both Diamond Jam and Twist & Shout have followed this tradition. (More about this is on the FAQ page on the T & S web site. I recommend looking over the Survival Guide, too, if this is your first.)

As for the classes, there are two or three at any given time. Yes, you must choose, but many do repeat, so the odds are good that you won't miss the ones you most want to see. In addition to asking pals for their notes, you can often see the technique class designs in the jam room, later. The courses vary, with marketing, entertaining, decor, and actual technique classes going on for the three official days, plus the Wednesday pre-classes, and the private lessons on Sunday.

I'll be the guy with an AArdvark logo somewhere (hat, shirt and/or balloon bag), and the MBD2 member pins.

Derrick: Check out flights shortly after midnight, Wednesday morning. I saved $54 from what I could get at other times.

Rogue: I got your call the other day; I'd love to help. Call again to let me know what you need. It looks like we'll be in the same caravan from the airport.

TooMuchmagic: The general entry fee is now $190, including entry to the competitions, dealers, jam room, the aforementioned rubber chicken banquet, and more. See the FAQ page... You CAN go to the morning McBride mini session without registering for the whole convention... but WHY!?
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
rogueclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Hollywood
320 Posts

Profile of rogueclown
YES!!!!! It is getting closer!!!!!!! I will call you Jesterman. See you all there!!!
RC
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
So it looks like I maybe able to make it to my very first Twist and Shout! I am still awaiting teacher permission as I need to get out of boarding school to go but I have family in Boston I can stay with...

AHHH I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexa
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I AM COMING TO TWIST AND SHOUT!!!!!!!!!!
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
JEEZ seems like al I do is complain.

So I know there are so many clases and so little time.....but.....

I think the scheduling system for twist and shout is a bit awry.

There have been listings of the different courses up for quite a while and I have psyched myself up for taking as many of them as possible...if not all of them.

Now I find out I may only take a limited number...which is ok but, they run 4 at a time and compete with each other. Now my main concern is this.

If you run 4 courses at a time and repeat them...wouldnt it make sense to repeat them al again at the same time...that way you have more opportunity to get to the ones you want...

When a class competes with one other you really would like to attend....it is nice to know that it will come up again. But when it comes up again and it is with another you really wanted to see, it is tough to pick and choose.

Sorry if this is a ramble and makes no sense. I hope someone understands what I am saying.

Guess I am just greedy, but I am going to be very sad to miss some of these classes. (and to think before I was complaining about the pay as you go.)
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
So, I am staying with my cousin in Boston and just found out that is not as close to the hotel as it seemed from the website. Is there anyone local who will be driving back and forth who I could carpool with or does anyone know if the public transportation will go the 25 minute drive from Boston to Burlington?

Thanks,

Alexa

P.S. Yes, I understand your gripe about the classes. I didn't think I was going to be able to come until next year, and fact is I'm not going to be able to do everything I'd like this year, but to dip my toes into T&S is going to be AWESOME!Also, it sounds like you can catch up with people from other classes or the instructors in the Jam Room.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Quote:
On 2008-02-14 11:12, alexa wrote:
but to dip my toes into T&S is going to be AWESOME!

I'd like to think of myself as an optimist but you couldn't force this phrase outta me. Smile You are so right alexa. Thanks.
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I just went over my schedule. I am going to be missing a lot, too. Also, it's hard for me to figure out because I want to perfect certain things and start other things and it's like, Well, I'm going to use THIS class more immediately, but THIS one is a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity, so which do I take? I am also concerned about the transportation thing.

Will see you there!

I'm curious on which classes you have taken, we'll have to meet up in the Jam Room (doesn't that sound like the happiest place on Earth?;) and exchange notes.

Alexa
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
Toomuchmagic,

Your not alone in your feelings. Balloon workers obviously don’t attend many magic conventions or they would understand your concerns. At a magic convention when you pay a Registration Fee it’s not for the ‘privilege’ of attending their convention, you are actually provided lectures and classes and shows for FREE as part of the registration. And yes, there is also still the free Hospitality Room to jam.
I was shocked when I saw that everything is an extra pay event. Unfortunately the magic conventions seem to be finding out that people flock to this type of convention also and are starting to change toward that concept. Lecturers used to do the lectures as part of the convention (included in the Reg price) and now are having “workshops” that you pay extra for. In a few years magic will “catch up” to this concept. Thanks Jeff
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Muggs, I agree. I just really hope it will be worth it. What concerns me is the "tipping." This convention is going to cost me a fortune, what between registering and decor day and pay per class. Then it says that you should tip if you feel you got more than $5 worth of material out of the class. Well, I should hope I'm getting more than $5 worth! I am going to be in debt to my parents for the next two years I think, what with these expenses.

Alexa
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Having been a lecturer before and a participate at Balloon and Magic conventions I can tell you this.

When you lecture your really doing it for one of a few things:

• Recognition among peers.
• Because you have something to sell.
• Or you really love this industry and want to give back.

The most successful lectures understand this. Usually the pay is low or in the form of comps. (room. travel, food). the pay to lecture is nowhere near the fee commanded for a private performance. Many of us lose money (skip shows) to participate in such wondrous events. Many convention you are not allowed to do back of room sales.

The class fee does several things:

• Brings in more lecturers

• Give market value to the teachers. ergo great lecturers have more people in their class, not so good (well you know)

• It commands respect. If your laying down your money, you will pay attention in the class. I don't know how many magic conventions I have been to where people are just complete jerks. Walking in and out of lectures, talking on their cell phone, falling asleep, saving the front row for their buddies.....

I don't know if the Tipping thing had been done before when I was at Twist & Shout 2007, I was the one who may have started that. I taught a marketing lecture on restaurant work and and the end I made a pitch to pass the hat. I was surprised... several big bills. As in my restaurants I like the fact tipping happens. I gives me gauge to my work. If I did very well my pocket shows it.

From the convention planner's perspective, they want to keep the costs low and hope for the attendance to be high. $190 for 5 days of events that actually can add to your bottom line is cheap. that is less than $40 per day!! Try going to disney world for that price...

the question is would you spend $1,000 to make an extra $5,000, $10,000 or $50,000 next year? the tools are all there it is up to the individual to apply them.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
www.balloonguy.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Diamond Jam or Twist & Shout anyone? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL