We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » I could use some encouragement... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I'm down in the dumps right now which is inching it's way closer to panic. I've had a lot of serious medical problems over the past couple of years, and the company that I was working for (software engineer) moved the project to India, and California. I've been looking for a job but have been unsuccessful, and my unemployment benefits have run out. I've applied for disability, but that's going to take a while to process.

I could use some good cheer, a winning lottery ticket, or better yet, a job.

In the past I haven't had much trouble finding a job. Part of my problems this time are due to my specializing in something that isn't in that high demand around here, and likely my age (I'm 53), why hire that old guy when we can get someone fresh out of school.

You guys are really great and prayers and good feelings will really help.

Thanks.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3173 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Hang in there my friend, there is a light at the end of the tunnell.

Sometimes it is hard to see, but rest assured, that this too shall pass!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Marty:

Not a good time of the year to be down, man. Don't let it happen!

First, if you work for (or are) a softward engineer, you have good mind. Second, if you enjoy magic you have a great hobby (maybe even a second career!). Third, if you are having serious medical problems, you are in the right spot to get them fixed.

When I was about your age, I was right where you seem to be. It has taken a few years, and 3 rather serious surgeries, but I feel great right now, thanks to USA docs! The hardest part for me was not giving up. I had help.

When I was right at the point of no return, my best friend called and chewed me out royally! "get tough... what kind of man are you..." all those sort of challenges. It worked!

Marty- whichever way life takes us, it's all just a matter of attitude! WE decide, and if we can beat down the despair and feel strength moving thru our body (think of Popeye after that awful spinach) we have such a better chance of happiness and success!

Like rowdymagi5 said, hang in there, it WILL pass. Much, much faster, however, if you INSIST on a positive, forceful attitude! Good luck!!!!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
TCG438
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of TCG438
You are in my thoughts and prayers Marty.
I promise things will get better.
TCG438
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of TCG438
You are in my thoughts and prayers Marty.
I promise things will get better.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1615 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Dear Marty,

This is a terrible time of year to be down -- I wish you the best and hope that things improve. I'd try to edge yourself away from the panic feeling, resolve to make a fresh push on things after the New Year, and try not to stress out over the holidays. Perhaps as a software engineer you can market yourself as a freelancer if the full-time job is not on the horizon. In any case, wishing you the best.

Best,

Scott
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Thanks for the encouragement folks. I knew I could depend on you!

The feelings of panic are subsiding, I've gotten some things under control.

I'm caught in a classic catch-22 (I'm going to have re-read that) where I want a job, but in order to get a job you need experience. I've tried to sell myself as willing to exchange compensation for opportunity, but most folks seem to just say "Over qualified".

If the weather was nicer I might try to hit the streets, but with the recent snow storms in this area, it's going to be a while before Busking is reasonable.

So, I'm looking for small jobs and will do a little bit of web development and sell myself as a webmaster...

Thanks again.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Hey Marty, somebody with your experience in computers could do a phenominal job with web design and management.

OK fellas, who here needs some work done?!

I know my website is in a state of need and will be PM ing Marty for some much needed help...
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » I could use some encouragement... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL