The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Derren Brown Special! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-01-20 16:53, nathanpain wrote:
I'l stab someone in the eye to get a copy of any new Derren Brown stuff...leagally or otherwise...I'd prefer to buy actual product...

Nathan

Oh... sure!

Stab someone in the eye to get it- and you might get 5 years for aggravated assault. If you've got a good lawyer and it's a first offense, maybe less.

Pirate it and you're looking at a getting the feds involved, 5 years, AND a maximum $250,000 fine...

The choice is clear.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Wait...I have to do a quick magic trick, "The Appearing Stick" My secret method involves Gaddy's arse Smile

Nathan
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
So how was the show?
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Rockbrunnen - If your talking about the system it's not on till Friday.

Mescalito
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
Ah, I didn't notice that they had changed the schedule.
Thank you, Mescalito.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
I think it is HILARIOUS that he is claiming (and going to 'prove') that he has develped a system for the horses - the holy grail of gamblers, and Derren has it! HAHA!
SO many people after this are going to sincerely believe that he has developed or discovered a real system for the horses, something that any intelligent person would realise is impossible unless you have a total and complete understanding of chaos theory and all it's possible algorithms, and a brain that can calculate pi to 1000 decimal places.

I think that's quite clever/amusing. Although my opinion may change after the 100th person asks me if I know 'Derren's system for the horses'...
(any other uk performers here get fed up of people asking about the greyhound tickets???!!)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ah the grey hound racing....i was badgered for a while with that, I just made up the most outrageous method I could think of - I nearly said that they built a replica stadium and hired 100s of actors to fill it out...

I wonder if this is "based on" the old berglas maths principle for winning at poker?
I've asked to be banned
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
Wait a second. As the horses thing is described, it sounds very much like a scam that has been known forever. I've seen it referred to in countless places, including books on "Brain Teasers", so I don't think the following consists in giving away any secrets. -- Suppose 10 horses are running. You send a prediction that horse #1 will win to each of 10 different people. You do the same re horse #2, and the same for horse # 3, etc., for each horse. You've sent predictions to 100 people. -- 10 people will have gotten winning predictions. Now you do the same thing with these "winners", with respect to the next race. After a while someone will have received an amazing string of winning predictions. That person will assume that only (s)has been sent any predictions. -- This is as old as the hills. And very clever. It can, though, be used unethically. If Brown used this, he merely *accurately* described only *part* of what happened. As many have pointed out on threads about misleading ads, this happens in marketing magic all the time. This is not to suggest that Brown's using it in a performance is also unethical.

Best,
Alan
Glossolalia
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Glossolalia
Quote:
Your right Kriskraze, I used to record songs of the radio too, do you want to call F.A.C.T or shall I hand myself in.

Recording from the radio or television for *personal* use has been legal for some time (although this wasn't always true). When you distribute copies of these recordings then it ceases to be for personal use.
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
For time shifted viewing only... (or have things changed recently?)
ecunited
View Profile
New user
New York (Ok, New Jersey)
67 Posts

Profile of ecunited
Finally got a chance to see this. Wow.

Mr. Brown, above all else, makes great TV.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Derren continues to push the boundaries of what people can expect from his programs. I applaud him for daring to try new and different approaches to what he does. He continues to surprise and delight viewers.

- entity
Miikka
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
160 Posts

Profile of Miikka
If somebody outside the UK is still interested, the show can be found in Youtube.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Just saw the Youtube version.
Count me in as those that came away .. puzzled.
I don't get the point of the show. Other than the one mentalism effect he did with the 4 critics, it wasn't like anything he has done before.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
Quote:
On 2008-02-12 18:04, Miikka wrote:
If somebody outside the UK is still interested, the show can be found in Youtube.

Or the whole show can be found here

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2008-02-12 20:50, Nash wrote:
I don't get the point of the show. Other than the one mentalism effect he did with the 4 critics, it wasn't like anything he has done before.

I think that was the point.

- entity
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
Have you even seen this show? This system would have costed millions of pounds, its funny. Another scenario of Derren pulling the wool over the publics eyes.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Quote:
On 2008-02-12 20:50, Nash wrote:

As Entity said, I think this was the idea.
I think Derren is contracted to come up with a new special each year as well as his TV series, whilst also touring with his stage show.

The vast amount of material he is churning out with his team, I think we are lucky
that as a performer he is prepared to keep pushing these boundries. Could you imagine if he just kept doing the same material each year?

Take a look at the IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1494925/

that's a lot of material.

The System dealt with belief systems, Like the Messiah and the Seance.

Mescalito
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
The Feegee Mermaid
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of The Feegee Mermaid
Is anyone else having problems with the Google Video? I guess I have to watch it on youtube.

TFM
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Try it with a different browser. My Mozilla doesn't accept google video, but my internet explorer does.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Derren Brown Special! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL