We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Jack Overload (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Hey Eddie, have you read, "The West End Horror"? Sherlock and Jack!!!!!
What would Wavy do?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
YES!!!! but some time ago...I think it is still on a shelf here so I must have liked it. Feel free to remind me of highlights.

Oddly...Right now... I'm about to read Raven's Tales, as soon as my copy hits NYC. Smile I ordered last week.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Yep, the West End Horror is by the same guy who wrote the 7% Solution....

Hey eddie - go up to my media links and click on Jackie the Ripper (in retro, I shoulda called it Jill the Ripper)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Well there you have it!
Well done DR.

Case solved!

Mark, you will be needing several sexy female assistants for your Ripper Seance of Love. Smile
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Another personal favorite; Sweeney Todd gracesour theaters locally on Dec. 24 th
Johnny Depp of course. This christmas will be a joyous one, after all!

Drop me a line brother Raven re: the Mango Tree.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I will. Hoping to have some time to sit down for more than 10 minutes this weekend.
What would Wavy do?
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Mark,

Must add to your overload. I'm hoping to add this to my From Hell V3:

https://loomismagic.com/item2067.htm

Using the blank pages for a "special" letter instead of the Lizzy Borden letter.

Food for thought.

Watching the mail to see if this kicker will work with V3.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Andy, check out Dear Boss... similar effect Smile (Or just get some Golden***) Smile

Mango tree? Like in Dr. No....? "Underneath de mango treeee, me honey, and me come watch for the moooon...." etc.

Way better when Ursula Andress sings it... although I wasn't really listening to her as opposed to looking at her the first time I saw the film as a kid Smile
AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Ridgeland, MS
588 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
Probably going to have to make the Dear Boss letter yourself. I don't think Keith Lack has it on the market any more. The method is in his book though. FYI.

I snapped up Dear Boss when I bought V2 of From Hell. I could only find 1 place and got the last one they had after a ton of searching but there may be one hiding somewhere.

Well off to work. Gotta pay for my toys.

Alton
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
881 Posts

Profile of David Parr
And the author of The Seven-Per-Cent Solution also wrote The Wrath of Khan, so we come full circle back to classic Trek.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Thank you Dr and Alton!

This old magician is coming late to this fascinating genre and my lack of knowledge is apparent.

So much to learn...so little time (and money), but I persevere with enormous help from the posts from you and others in the various topics of this forum.

Thanks again!

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Borrowing an idea from Robert Bloch, a brick from the original London Bridge could lure his spirit back...
Sometimes I wonder if -- like the old filmmakers were forced to contend with -- less is more. Less effects...less stuff to clutter the imagination. Maybe we should all sell our accumulated Ripper props and start with a clean canvas? Okay...you go first! Smile
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Jim! That's heresy! Smile

I think I read this in Caleb Strange's book - he suggests that the story behind the effect should be strong enough to stand without the effect; I think that's a really tough (and entirely valid) test, and ties in with your point.

When I think of how many of my own routines hit this standard, I feel quite depressed...
[
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Please read SPIRIT THEATRE and similar works on the concept of seances with no overt effects.... it isn't as hard as you think... right atmosphere, right story... right lighting... you almost don't want to use any effects as it will destroy the mood.

Check out some threads I started on the topic somewhere around here.

However, I am not selling any of my Jack stuff - I am sure 99% of us collect stuff just for having it as much as performing it (well, actually, I collect more than I ever use - that ol' "well, maybe someday it will come in handy" The Bizarrist Boy Scout phenomenon)
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
This thread got me going - I just went out and got all the movies from the clips I posted and plan to make some form of complilation DVD of Jack bits (yum).... a Jack the Ripper Inspiration Video for Creating Magical Mayhem
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Alan Moore is an inspiration.

From Hell is a phenomenal graphic novel.

If you guys get the chance, watch the documentary called The Mindscape of Alan Moore.

http://www.shadowsnake.com/projects_completed_films.html
Bizarrist
View Profile
Loyal user
The Man of Mystery
236 Posts

Profile of Bizarrist
Quote:
On 2007-12-20 20:41, Dr Spektor wrote:
(yum).... a Jack the Ripper Inspiration Video for Creating Magical Mayhem

I'm looking forward to getting one of these! Thanks Dr. for putting this together and offering up some inSPIRaTion.

tcb
The Most Beautiful Experience We Can Have is the Mysterious.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Oy! More stuff! My head hurts. I'm going to look into Mindscape. And, Bruce, I'd love to get a copy of your inspirational dvd.

Raven
What would Wavy do?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hmmm... while we are at it, I wonder if we should all pitch in and make some sort of Jack the Ripper book of effects, presentations, and stuff and then make it a charitable ebook, all proceeds going to the a charity that helps victims of abuse or something?

(I am being serious, as this is what I proposed to Paolo for FLYTRAP)
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
If we do a Jack the Ripper book, I'll pitch in my Red Jack dark seance from the Dark Waltz.
Beware of this and that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Jack Overload (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL