The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Ponderings of lowering one's center of gravity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pi314
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
114 Posts

Profile of Pi314
Please forgive me if I've started this in the wrong category.

Here's a video of a Japanese magician performing a "forward lean" trick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlmPc8YNuFE

I do something similar to this without any setup, thanks to huge feet but I can't get anywhere near the angle demonstrated in the video above (without setup).

My first reflections upon watching him perform is:
"Why dress up as an old man?"
- Which automatically led me to think:
"Oh ok, to justify the crippled walk he does due to weights in the shoes and perhaps alongside his calves".
(your thoughts may differ)

What I'm thinking of doing is getting some lead and strapping it to the calves and perhaps hollowing out a pair of shoes and filling them with some Pb as well.
Before I attempt this and go out and buy lead and destroy shoes, I'd really appreciate any reflections you may have on this.

If it's wrong to ask this here, I apologize and would respectfully withdraw my public inquiry.
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
Honestly, your idea will likely not work. the physics will not allow you to lean past your falling point. unless you weigh next to nothing the only thing the lead will do will hurt your pocket book. your best bet to acheive this illusion is to buy it from the inventor/maker, doug malloy. his version of "the lean" as its called is what would allow you to perform this illusion. however this illusion is quite expensive. it will likely end up costing you nearly 700 or more dollars. I purchased one earlier this year and have had quite some fun with it, but depending on your budget, experience, and goals I would just stay away with using lead counterweights all together. save up and get the real version.
Pi314
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
114 Posts

Profile of Pi314
Hi ferrissteve,

Thanks for pointing that out!
for any future readers of this thread, here's the link:
http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/the_lean.htm

You mentioned physics, with reflection upon this I understand that lead will do the opposite of help.
Have you ever tried to lean forward on a pair of mountain skis?
You can get pretty far without toppling over.

The first time I ever saw a forward lean being performed was in the 1945 movie "Wonder Man" staring Danny Kaye. He leaned forward off a stage and his "ghost" brother buzzy or "buster" held him back. It's a great movie. I'd guess that they used ropes or editing.

I will most definitely consider buying Doug Malloy's version called "The Lean".
In my opinion it's worth paying $650 with regards to the precision work you have to put into customizing.

I've got access to some raw materials and machinery though, I think that it would be a fun personal project to attempt (no intentions of marketing, strictly for personal use). If I fail, then I'll take your suggestion and buy the finished product.

Here are two other topics at The Magic Café that talk about this:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=112
and:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=119
Pi314
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
114 Posts

Profile of Pi314
I believe that I've figured it out and I'm going to start saving up for Doug Malloy's "The Lean".

It's definitely going to be a sloppy job if you (by you, I mean I) attempt it on your own without any experience. Perhaps even costly if you get it wrong.

Plus I doubt that a regular shoe maker would have much experience in this area enough to make it last a lifetime.

Thanks again for the heads up ferrissteve!
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
Good luck with your endeavor. the lean is a fun illusion, and well worth the price. (to me at least). something you might consider designing if you have access to a shop is the "reverse lean". its essentially the lean illusion in reverse. there are a few threads about it here on the Café, not exaclty sure where they are posted, but their around. I have been working on one on and off for some time now. if you want a fun personal challenge there you go. if you have any other questions regarding the lean you can p.m. and I will try and answer them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Ponderings of lowering one's center of gravity (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL