The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » IBM or SAM? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Being new to magic, I want to start networking and join an organization.

The two main being SAM and IBM.

I am wondering what the consensus is on which is better for a new magician based in the US?

I have a feeling there are pros and cons to each, but would rather hear from the community first hand rather than try to decide based on each organizations marketing materials.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
You would do best to visit each that is accessible to you. Each SAM or IBM can vary from location to location depending on member make-up.

You should visit each group to see what your comfort level is. The organizational philosophy that govern each organization is only half the story.

Bob
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Well, the group in my area is a dual membership - they are both SAM and IBM. I would like to join the national org of one and am having a hard time knowing which is, not better, but rather more geared to the amatuer, upclose, magician. Do they each have thier own personality at the national level or are they basically clones offering the same basic perks?
Mark Reed
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Both are fine organizations and many of us are members of both. Technically you are supposed to have two years in magic to join IBM, SAM doesn't have that requirement. To be honest the IBM does not hire an investigator to determine if you have been in magic two or more years. Both require you have a couple of members sign your application as recommenders. Flip a coin if you can only join one and have a dual membership club in your area. Both are geared to all magicians.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Both are comparable. If you can afford it join both. Many folks in my area are members of both national organizations and a few are members of multiple local clubs. If you can only afford one, maybe take a look at the associated magazines and use that to determine which you might prefer. They both cover the same sorts of things, but have different personalities.

These organizations realize that new people are vital for their continued success and are very helpful to new folks, at least that's been my experience.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
One of the local SAM rings here in the Bay area (#94) is getting Eugene Burger to lecture next month! That in and of itself is reason enough for me to join that organization over the IBM!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Thanks all. I joined SAM.

Much appreciated!
Mark Reed
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I am a member of both. I don't get involved in politics, so dual membership is great for me. Our club is a dual club. I enjoy both magazines.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
I wanted to attend and possibly join an IBM meeting in my area earleir this year, but was told that it was a closed meeting. I wiould have to basically audition to get in. As someone who is VERY new to magic, I am nowhere near the point where I could do a trick in public or audition. I was hoping to meet other people interestedin magic since none of my friends are.
- C
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
Focus on a fun trick or effect. Practice, practice, practice. You don't have to be a great magician to be a member of any of the clubs. If you are determined and truly interested, you'll get there.
www.safetymagicshows.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
Both organizations are worthwhile and odds are you'll wind-up eventually joining both.

The main variable is the monthly magazine. This is, of course, a matter of personal choice, but many would choose to receive the I.B.M.'s LINKING RING Magazine over the S.A.M.'s M.U.M. due to the LR's consistently relevant and practical content. There's rarely any "filler" material in the LINKING RING.

Now THIS should generate an interesting comment or two! Smile

Merry Christmas One and All.

Julie
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-12-20 14:51, photius wrote:
Both are fine organizations and many of us are members of both. Technically you are supposed to have two years in magic to join IBM, SAM doesn't have that requirement. To be honest the IBM does not hire an investigator to determine if you have been in magic two or more years. Both require you have a couple of members sign your application as recommenders. Flip a coin if you can only join one and have a dual membership club in your area. Both are geared to all magicians.

I'd go with SAM, IMHO..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I like the new format of the SAM magazine, especially the color. It has changed quite a bit in the last 2 years.
www.safetymagicshows.com
sieler
View Profile
New user
Cupertino, CA
63 Posts

Profile of sieler
Mmread, where are you located?

I'd check out both SAM and IBM ... their websites (www.magicsam.com and
http://www.magician.org, respectively) have links to let you find a local club
that's affiliated with them. I asked several professional magicians in
Las Vegas the same question last year, and the most common answer was "I belong
to both", with a few saying they happened to belong to IBM only, but no one
ever offered a reason for either Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
You could also try to find an unaffiliated club. I don't belong to either SAM or IBM and get along perfectly well in the magic world. From what I've seen both are basically a magazine subscription so if your debating between the two choose the one whose magazine you like the best, unless of course your local club is affiliated with one or the other. Then you'd moat likely want to join what ever group the club is affiliated with.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
If you can afford then both however in Phx here somtimes I wonder Which is better because of the politics Here the S.A.M tends to rely on lectures and not much else where the I.B.M does Both. Not trying to Cut either down but I would attend both and see which on suites you better. Both Nationaly are Great Orginazations (sp)!
The Magical World of Jardini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » IBM or SAM? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL