The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I wish I would have performed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
So anyway, yesterday was the last day of the semester, and as we were all goofing off one kid was doing magic tricks. And let me tell you these tricks were lame! As everyone was shown the tricks they were amazed. That is until he repeated the trick over again and showed everybody how he did it.

I wish I could have performed, but I didn't have the guts to say, "hey wait a second, you wanna see something even cooler?" I feel so bad now, does anyone know how to overcome this and start performing right in front of an audience of about 10 people.

Also I have a little trouble performing in front of large groups. I can do it for 1-3 people, but after that I get nervous.

P.S. This really bothers me since everyone in the class loves me. I am like the funniest kid there
Have you Amazed?
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Well first of all, you shouldn't interrupt another magician during a set, or try to "one-up" him after he's done. If there is someone else performing magic for a group, just let him have his few minutes of glory. Imagine how you would feel it you performing a small set for a group, and then some guy jumps in and starts performing magic that's 100x better than what you were performing? You would feel awful.

Second, when performing for larger groups, just focus in on 1-3 people as if you were performing for just them, like you said you're comfortable doing. The only difference with a larger group is that every so often you should make a quick round of eye contact with everyone to keep them feeling involved.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Performance is never about you, it is about entertaining the audience. In the situation you mentioned you would have come across as a "one upster". One of those people who tries to steal all the attention for themselves by trying to one up who ever is performing. Next the other magician was exposing. If you had performed either he would have exposed your tricks (he he knew how they were done) or the others would have put tremendous peer pressure on you to expose, since the other magician exposed. Save your performances for venues where the audience can be controlled and the clear message given "this performance is about entertaining you" can be given.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
housermagic
View Profile
New user
In the mountains
71 Posts

Profile of housermagic
I agree with Brian and Photius. This has happened to me more than once, and I had to just "bite my tongue" not to up-stage the other guy.
Bill
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
YOu did the right thing, but next time, make sure you stand up first and let the other guy sit and be quiet.

Perhaps approach him and offer some advice if you have anything constructive to give, and if you can't give advise talk to him about your interest in magic. You may make a good friend and maybe next time you can combine your talents to produce something really good.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I would have had no problem saying "real magicians DON'T tell the secret" or something to that effect--say what you will, but I have too much respect for the Art to let someone get away with that. If you want to perform something he won't be able to expose cause he won't know how it's done, pick some effects from the Tarbell books or any older effects that they don't sell on "E". I doubt this kid has ever read any of the Classics.
I completly agree with these guys about not interupting or upstaging someone who is performing--as long as they are attempting to do a good job and aren't making us all look bad. Obviously, we all suck when we start out, but that's no reason to expose magic, no matter how lame the effect is. (But even you said the spectators were amazed before he repeated and exposed).
If all else fails, use comedy to make your point, shouldn't be too tough, since everyone loves you and you're, like, the funniest kid there!
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
Actually this kid just made up some stuff on his own and probally youtube, and I bet you he has never even heard of ellusionist. and me and him are already friends, but me and him are both pretty much the 'cool' kids of the class. he was just having fun while I had to sit back and think, "dang, I wish I would have thought of that."
Have you Amazed?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Well at least your ego is in check! Be sure not to do much magic during your English class either especially during the grammar portion! Smile
Mick
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I recall the days when I was pretty much the cool kid of the class.....
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-12-22 02:14, Ray_Mago wrote:

and I bet you he has never even heard of ellusionist.

What's a ellusionist?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-12-22 06:08, Josh Riel wrote:
I recall the days when I was pretty much the cool kid of the class.....

I recall those days too- everyone else seems to think I was some kind of dorkhead, but I they are all just jealous!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Quote:
On 2007-12-21 21:46, J.Robert wrote:
I would have had no problem saying "real magicians DON'T tell the secret"

Yep, I pretty much hate Val Valentino.
zeitgeistmovie.com will enlighten you. Trust me Smile
acetucker
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of acetucker
Another tip for larger groups: do tricks that don't require your audience to be at an angle, larger groups tend to circle you.

Im actually having the same problem as you as most the tricks in my repertoire require a certain angle. luckily, I'm not the coolest in my class so I don't have this problem as much as you. I seek out one or two people, maybe three that I'm comfortable with, and give them and their friends something to talk about.

good luck and happy holidays!
VivaLaPatch
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of VivaLaPatch
It sounds like the the Ray-Mago wasn't concerned with whether he should have performed after the other "cool person", but rather, how to overcome his fear of performance.

This is what kept me from doing SO much more in life at a young age. It took me YEARS to get to the point where I could comfortably make myself vulnerable in front of others. If I could have conquered this when I was a teenager, or even in my 20's I have no idea how far I could have gone. But instead, I told myself I wasn't good enough or I was going to fail and be laughed at for being lame.

The reason your nervous is because you want to do well. That's all it is. If you weren't nervous, that would indicate you don't care how it all shakes out. So, take that nervousness and turn it into energy. That's what I learned to do. I love it now! It's a rush.

A lot of people like me (us?) are the youngest in our family or maybe less athletic in a very athletic family. Or whatever. We're the odd ones out of the group. So, we've grown up feeling uncomfortable about sticking our heads up above the crowd. We've been shot down before.

Humble yourself and do it for the pure enjoyment of entertaining others. Don't think about how it has to be perfect (though, it probably will be). It doesn't need to be perfect at all... just fun. If you make a mistake, make fun of yourself. Self-deprecating humor goes a long way. When you use self-deprecating humor, you remove the need others feel to put you in your place. But, be forewarned, self-deprecating humor isn't about saying "whoa is me". That's a loser mentality. Self-deprecating humor is about seeing the comedy in our own flaws. It's fun and funny... not hurtful. Even to yourself.

I hope this helps. I hope you'll step up and change the course of your life. I finally did, but it was much later in life.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2007-12-22 02:14, Ray_Mago wrote:
Actually this kid just made up some stuff on his own and probally youtube, ...
he was just having fun while I had to sit back and think, "dang, I wish I would have thought of that."

It seems to me the only thing lame here is the revealing of the magic. Then to top it off is what you were doing to yourself.

The key is to have fun. This is what made the experience, the magic...even if it wasn't up to your standards. The bottom line is...he entertained his audience.

If you are having fun, then your audience will have fun. (well to some extent anyway).

How do you overcome performance anxiety? Perform. Its that simple. Well not exactly. You have to get out there. Each time, push youself beyond that comfort zone that you climb into in these situations. There is a lot on this topic in this forum but the bottom line is to know your magic well and get out and perform. Don't sit back and say..."I wish I could do that..."...you can.

And a suggestion to the performer, after the performance, let him know..."do not reveal the magic". No matter what quality, or where it was learned from.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
Thankyou to the last couple of posts, that is what I was looking for, help.

not for a bunch of people to bash me for saying something.

next time I will just, well, perform.
Have you Amazed?
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
I am glad you did not get up and try to show him up magic is not about that Maybe you could have given him some suggestions in private and maybe get together and work on some effects! as far as fear goes some things to help are practice, pratice and pratice! Show your friends and just getting use to being in front of an audience Most everyone gets the jitters now and then it is realizing that's just what it is and overcomming the fear! If you mess up it would not stop the world! but don't just buy an effect and walk out and say see this!!
The Magical World of Jardini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I wish I would have performed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL