The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Irv Furman Passed Away Today (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Irv Furman, published magician and magic shop owner, died of a heart attack this morning (December 21, 2007.)

He will be especially missed by Dan White and me for his friendship and support of many years. He knew more about local (Philadelphia) magic history than anyone I know, (with the possible exception of Marc DeSauza.)

His shop, Hocus Pocus, has been a staple on Fourth Street in Philadelphia for many years, and has kindled an interest in magic for many developing young magicians. His popular books have been published in both English and Japanese.

You may contact me for details on the service.

Bob Johnston
Daniel White
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Daniel White
I knew Irv Furman well. He was an early mentor of mine who shared with me his knowledge and love for magic.

His small store in Philly went through its ups and downs and was sometimes surrounded by controversy, but in the end it will be remembered by myself warmly as the beginning of my journey into magic.

I only wish that I had been able to properly thank Irv for teaching me that I had the ability to inspire astonishment in others.

So thank you Irv for bringing wonder to so many and for changing this young man's life.

Rest In Peace

dw
canasta
View Profile
New user
From the ALPHA STATE
56 Posts

Profile of canasta
I remember it like it was yesterday- after being intrigued by performance of the "Floating Dollar" at an affair at my mother's home, I let my "fingers do the walking" in the yellowpages. Lo and behold, I found Irv Furman and Magic found me. Irv ( who affectionately referred to me as "Kid-O") sold me my first tricks- the vanishing deck and of course, that floating bill.

But more important than what he sold me was what he GAVE me- a passion and respect for this art that I love beyond words.

Also, through Irv I met Bob Johnston and Dan White, who would become my brothers, mentors and friends.

Irv, you will always be a root in our ever growing love of magic .
With Love Always,

Kid -O
CAUTION: This Avatar and post MAY contain subliminal messages. Viewer discretion is advised.......
DWB
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of DWB
I got the opportunity to meet Irv while I worked at his shop over the summer. He was truly one of the nicest and smartest guys I was blessed enough to know. He was a class act and incredibly generous. When Irv was in the shop, I never saw anyone leave without a smile on their face.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
Irv's place was the first magic shop I went in. He was very nice and patient with me. I remember buying a Koran deck, and some other things which he taught me. I believe he even taught a magic course at Temple University years ago. I wish I had gotten to know him better.
Quizzmo
View Profile
New user
Midatlantic
4 Posts

Profile of Quizzmo
I first met Irv when I was really getting serious about magic back in the 80's and considered him a true gentleman who was interested in the betterment of the Magical Art of entertainment. Not only was he entertaining but he had a real gift for inspiration and motivation. To this day I have on my wall some of the motivational musings he sent me from time to time. They have managed to help me focus and keep my eyes on goals and dreams. About eight years ago when I hit a rough patch Irv kept me in the game with a hot Pastrami sandwich at his favorite South Philly Deli and a couple of Gigs out of the shop. He and I even braved a Bar Mitzvah or two together. He was there flashing his hundred dollar bills routine and stealing watches (he always gave them back, mostly in one piece). Irv always had nothing but kind words and good stories to share about all who shared our art and whenever we gathered at the diner he was the first to cajole a waitress into catchy effect.
Hocus Pocus was his dream but a very demanding one. Having been an owner of a Magic Shop many moons ago I can relate with the trials and tribulations he endured in maintaining such a venture. He was a true "seller" of magic, a master of the pitch in a very disarming way and I always saw his customers leave with a smile on their face. Mostly he tried to give a fair deal and wanted nothing less than that in return.
His human compassion, his forthright generosity and his love of all things magic will be truly missed.
Shalom my Friend
Micahel St. James
Micahel St. James
A Magical Music Tour

Where "Magic Is Art From The Heart"

stmajkman@yahoo.com
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
I worked with Irv this past summer. He was such an amazing person, he always had an opinion on his outlook on life. He taught me many things about magic. The history its psychology and the importance of loving what you do. Before I met Irv I could do many sleight of hand tricks and had no presentation whatsoever. Irv taught me how to present and connect with laymen. After his "lessons" I was even able to trick Irv with one of his own tricks by using a different presentation, I will never forget the look on his face when I told him how I did it Smile He smiled scratched his head and said "that's how you know its good when it fools the guy who made it." Irv was one who knew how to bring a smile to one's face. RIP Irv .........Wilberto Casillas

P.S. Thank You for your Exposure to Magic
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Irv Furman Passed Away Today (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL