The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Something I stumbled upon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
While performing "Aces in their Faces" I noticed that when I dumped the cards from the box into my hand, that the top card stuck to the bit of tape that was left from the seal on top of the box. It remained in the box and couldn't be seen by the spectator. So, when I ask what they think my favorite card is and they answer with the "Ace of Spades" (hopefully) I then pull it out of the box. Even if they say another ace it still looks good that one card remained in the box. I can see this being used in a trick using duplicate cards and forcing one while leaving the other in the box and producing it later. After the spectator "loses" his card in the deck of course. It's so uncanny the way the card stays in the box and you don't even need to practice this. I am using bikes if that matters to anyone.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Mugician writes: " . . . you don't even need to practice this."

Oh, yes you do!
To do ANYTHING without practicing is to invite deserved disaster.

(BTW, when I say "anything", I mean just that: from the most complicated moves to simply opening a pack of cards.)
Smile
John F
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of John F
Peter,

I absolutely agree with you. For example, if one can deal the entire pack dealing seconds all the way and it's absolutely imperceptible to another magician (or cardsharp for that matter), but he/she fumbles and/or creates dead time during a performance and/or their way of doing it is sloppy if you like, then this is something that hasen't been engineered to performance quailty IMO (I love the way that sounds).
Every little itty bitty nuance of what you practice and perform should be analyzed refined and improved. Then, practiced and performed some more, ad infinitum.
Sounds harsh (to some), I know. But that's what being a real magician is all about, practicing and refining EVERYTHING about you, and what you do. If you can't, or choose not to handle these things then you are not a magician at heart.

All that said Peter, I do think that was just his way of saying that, that paticular manuever if you like, is fairly simple to execute.

Take care Peter.

John. Smile
Donnay
View Profile
New user
N. Ireland
49 Posts

Profile of Donnay
You should have kept this to yourself and created an effect. which would then be published and make you a million(well a few pounds)
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1360 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Petrick and Mia have a nice routine using this feature of the card box.
Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
Thanks for the feedback guys. That's why I'm here; to learn from experienced magicians.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
...and it may take even more practice for those who are technical virtuosos with cards or coins to make their handling seem normal and natural...

but this may be another controversial subject

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Something I stumbled upon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL