We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Riser Midi - Traditionals (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
abbascup
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of abbascup
James Riser has put a picture of a set of cups on his website, due to come out in January. These are to replace his minis. These look very awesome and should be great for strolling or any occasion!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Is that his cup that you have to pass a personality profile or be on a whos who list to purchase?
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Smile

...never seen someone so cocky. It's too bad cause he makes some neat looking stuff.

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Those look very nice.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2007-12-24 18:26, lint wrote:
:lol:

...never seen someone so cocky. It's too bad cause he makes some neat looking stuff.

-todd

I wouldn't say James is cocky, more like eccentric. Most of us great thinkers are. I think it's totally his choice to determine who he wants to do business with. If more magic dealers/creators took his tact, we would probably have a lot less spectators privy to many great secrets.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2007-12-25 00:44, pepka wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-24 18:26, lint wrote:
:lol:

-todd

I wouldn't say James is cocky, more like eccentric. Most of us great thinkers are. I think it's totally his choice to determine who he wants to do business with. If more magic dealers/creators took his tact, we would probably have a lot less spectators privy to many great secrets.

I thought the point being made was not *that* he does it, but rather in what manner he lets the magic community know about his decision.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Quote:

I should state I have never met him, and the written word often comes across different than a face to face meeting. I certainly don't apply tactfulness to the writings on his web page though, especially his so-called "musings". To those I can only apply classlessness and tasteless.

I have wanted to buy several of his cups in the past but I really like to "like" the craftsmen I buy from. Mr. Riser has all the right in the world to deal with who he wants and I am sure he doesn't need my money. The collector in me feels I need his cups, but the critic in me always gets in the way.

-todd
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13339 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like buying stuff from people I like and people I know. I will certainly spend more money for an item from my usual source where I can talk to the owner than save a few bucks and buy from a mega-mart.

Who knows. Maybe they will tell me.. "You know what? Save your money this time." Maybe they won't. Saving a dollar each time and ending up with drawers full of crap is no way to save money.

Paying list price each time but ending up not buying one item in ten because you were told the item "stinks" DOES save you money.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mossymanmo
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of mossymanmo
Regardless of how you feel James comes across in his web site, I have e-mailed him a number of times and he has always been very responsive and helpful. And equally important, I am new to Cups and Balls but he never made me feel that any of my questions were beneath him.
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
I think if you look at it objectively, you can understand Mr. Riser's point of view. He has been ripped off several times after spending time and effort (and publishing on his site) his creations. In my book, he sets high standards and lives by them. He produces state-of-the-art work with exacting craftsmanship. Anyone who uses any of his cups or other apparatus will vouch for the quality he puts into his work. Everything is professional grade.

Is is wrong to want your work to be used properly by people who respect that work? If I produced that level of quality, I sure would want it to be used respectfully. And, I don't think he disdains novices at all. For example, he put out one of the best guides for selecting a set of C&Bs -- for free. Many times he has shown in detail how he spins cups (a good recent example is the Ramsay cups) -- a great resource if you are a novice in this area. Before he was kicked of the Café, he also freely gave lots of good advise to both amateurs and pros -- guidance you wouldn't easily get elsewhere. So what if he speaks directly. Frankly, I wish there were more in magic like him.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
My dealings with james has been very positive. he answered the many questions I had nicely, promptly. seemed pretty nice to me. I think he just does not want to be ripped off, and like some such as steve dusheck, don't feel the need to sell to every average joe with the money to buy.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Right. I don't think anyone has said they have a problem with his policy, though.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
James Riser has always been very supportive of my efforts.

I understand his position.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
578 Posts

Profile of BSutter
In my opinion James P. Riser is a Straight Shooter and deserves the utmost respect.

Regards,
Bill Sutter
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1294 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I have never had a problem with James or his policy. it is his material to do with what he pleases.
Same for selling his stuff ....he can sell to whoever he wants to.
I as well totally understand his position.
Those new cups sure look great don't they?

Mobius
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I have always found Jim Riser to be extremely helpful. He's a craftsman with a great deal of practical experience; he's always been happy to share his experience and offer advice when I've bought items from him.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
I should add Riser has always been helpful and gracious in my emails with him as well. Webpage just rubs me the wrong way though...oh well. guess it is just me Smile

Hope you all (including Riser!) had a great Christmas!
-todd
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2039 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Sure the cups look great, they have our don alan saddle on them. Amazing how selective we can be when others use another persons design when asked to stop. Helpful or not, Riser is using the design against our wishes. pfffft on Riser, straight shooter doesn't get it, more like BS artist. He wants to take our design, that's fine, as I've made perfectly clear, if this is ok for Jim, then it's tit for tat. saddles for cups.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2039 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2007-12-27 12:12, Joshua Barrett wrote:
My dealings with james has been very positive. he answered the many questions I had nicely, promptly. seemed pretty nice to me. I think he just does not want to be ripped off, and like some such as steve dusheck, don't feel the need to sell to every average joe with the money to buy.

Well maybe Jim should practice what he preaches, stop using others designs when they request him to and he wouldn't be duped.

As far as Bill Sutters remark to being a straight shooter and utmost respect, the lines about my mother and his blog and other remarks are unprofessional and rude. He knows nothing about my family. Respect that? Nope. I don't need to pussyfoot around Riser and his BS.

If Riser is so respectable, why was he tossed off of here for violations? Oh Jim's special that's right.

New user here, 1st post a Riser support post, must be Mike Brazill.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
To be honest jake, I don't know whats going on with all of that, and its somthing I don't want to get in the middle of, if you can understand. there's to much comming from both directions to make any sense from all the heresay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Riser Midi - Traditionals (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL