We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review - Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic 2.0 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
This is the first review, of two, that I'll be doing for Jay Sankey's RCM2.0. This review will be a general overview, while the second one will be a blow-by-blow review of each effect.

Let me say, at the outset, that I'm a huge Sankey fan and think that RCM1.0 was filled with "revolutionary" coin ideas and, besides a couple of effects, all were keepers.

Let's get the technical stuff out of the way. I hate, hate, hate how the DVD is set-up. In all fairness, it's set-up like a lot of magic DVD's and, as you can probably tell, I'm not a fan. I actually roll my eyes and sigh everytime that I put on a DVD and it goes through all of the performances, one after the other, followed by all of the explanations. Why do people do this? I like to go back and forth, sometimes, from performance to explanation, in order to understand and work-out all of the nuances. When a DVD is set-up like RCM2.0, it's a huge headache to do so.

This DVD also suffers from the ubiquitous techno-lite music that plagues today's magic videos. The preformance portion of the DVD has the music on an endless loop as Jay performs. Jay's personality and/or patter are one of the main things that sells a lot of his work, robbed of this a lot of the presentation falls flat. The few tricks that require patter to understand has Jay's voice competing with the aforementioned techno-lite drone.

IMO, RCM1.0 surpassed other available DVD's in presentation by staying away from these things and now Jay has fully succumbed to them.

On to the effects:

Jay starts off the DVD stating that, while filming the first one, he realized there were too many great effects and made a decision to keep several to himself, in order to release them at a later date. Unfortunately these all feel like leftovers. When RCM1.0 was re-released on DVD, this would have made a great 2-DVD set. On it's on, 2.0 pales in comparsion to the "revolution" that was the original.

A lot of the effects on here are variations on principles that were presented on 1.0. Although it's not, it comes across as a bunch of fan-submitted effects that were sent in by the owners of the first DVD. Sort of a, "Hey look at what everyone did with my stuff"-type thing.

The main focus of this DVD is productions and if you're familiar with Jay's work you already know where the coin comes from. There are only four routines and although Jay has stated that everyone is saying "Hot Cross" is better than "Mr. Clean Coins Across", it doesn't come close, IMO. There is a lot of repeated ideas on this DVD.

The only routine that struck a chord with me was "Strike Three!". I thought this was a clever combination of Williamson's "Striking Vanish" and some "Cups and Balls" concepts. Not to say the other routines are horrible, they're just so-so when compared to RCM1.0.

Unfortunately, that can't be said about some of the vanishes. Some of these things are so obvious, that one wonders how he can present these with a straight face. He tries to wring every last breath out of an idea and suffers for it.

On the plus side, there are a lot of utlity moves. Any magician might find a few moves to incorporate into his pet routines. "Might" is the operative word.

While the effects aren't horrible, they are retreads and, on their own, aren't worth their own release. I reiterate that this would have been awesome as an expanded release back in 2003.

It's weird because everything, from effects to presentation, missed the mark. I'm conflicted because I really don't know who to recommend this to. Sankey completists maybe? I'm really not sure and, believe me, that's a bad thing.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I appreciate your review Chad.
I did order Sankey's RCM1 on everyones suggestions.
Don't look like 2 is gonna be on my list.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of Christmas.
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
Yeah thanks for the review Chad,from what you are saying I think I'll stick with his first dvd rev1...Trouble is Jay seems to replicate some of his own ideas more than once on quite a few of his dvd/vids.

Glad I waited ,i'm with Jaz...can't knock his rev1 that was great and still is ..shame his rev2 is not as good...

All the best and thanks for the review.

Blade.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
Finally an honest Sankey fan. ;-) Thanks for the review. I loved RCM1 and it's a shame the sequel didn't answer to our expectations.

jim
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I loved Revolutinary Coin Magic #1. But, I only do one effect from it. So I'll be watching 2.0 for a gem I can use. I haven't put it on yet ( been too busy ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Wells34
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Wells34
I enjoyed the creativity on RCM1 but I don't think I've ever used anything from the dvd. So when 2.0 came I'm a little on the fence. We'll see. Thanks for the review.
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
308 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Thanks for the review. Sounds like I won't be getting RCM2.0.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I started watching RCM 2.0 tonight and see what Chad is referring to. So, I'm looking for things I can use.

I liked Jay's clean-up of the Messiah Vanish and "Strike Three!" is a very cool coin routine.

Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Okay sorry for the delay between reviews. After sitting with this and letting it sink in, my view has changed in some ways but mostly stayed the same.

Christopher, I'd like to know if you've found the following to be true.

Firstly, this is a DVD, that in some respects, requires more skill than the first DVD. Now I'm not talking about technical skill. I'm talking about knowledge and understanding of misdirection, timing and crowd control and a sophisticated knowledge at that. A third of these tricks require an intermediate-level, at best, ability with the aforementioned concepts.

Jay thinks about magic on a level that the majority never delve into. This DVD is good for making you question and think about effects in a way that will enable you to get the most out of your magic.

Here's a TOC:

Quote:
Productions
Snatch Production, Wave Load, Silver Fision 1, Drop Zone Production, Rolling Downs Load, Rolling Downs Production, Wide-Eyed Production, Silver Fision 2, From Nowhere Production, Duet Production, Messiah Vanish, Messiah Clean-Up, Body Shift Production, Tumbleweed Production, Merlin Sequence

Transformations
Wrinkle in Time, Freefall Transfer, Blink Crossing

Switches
The Flying Shuttle Pass, Flying Shuttle Change, Sickle Switch, Radar Switch

Changes
Motion Change, P.O.V. Change, Steeplechase Change, Mephisto Change

Vanishes
Rollover Retention Vanish, Blow Away Vanish, Submarine Vanish, Shaker Vanish, Bangkok Vanish, Hypnovanish, Gravity Vanish, Corkscrew Vanish, Airborne Vanish

Routines
Half A Coin Trick, Sound Effect, Java Transpo, Recurrency, Stand Up Twilight, Opposable Coin, Spinner, Holy Cross, Flesh Pocket, Strike Three, Collector's Item
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
First let's start with the productions. Now unfortunately, some of these I can't explain because I'll give away the trick. A lot of these are so simple that if I describe what happens you won't need the DVD. So here it goes"

Snatch Production - The magician shows both hands, palm-up, in front of him. The right hand turns over and seems to snatch something out of mid-air. The hand is opened and a coin is inside.

Wave Load - This is Jay Sankey's variation on the "L'Homme Masque Load". According to Jay, he was trying to make it so that the receiving hand could remain palm down the entire time. This originally appeared on Sankey 45 in 2003.

Silver Fision 1 - This is a visual one or two coin production. The magician borrows a coin and as he tosses it into his other hand, it visibly splits in two. This can be repeated to produce another coin.

Drop Zone Production - The magician displays both hands palm-up and with the little fingers touching, makes a "V" shape. Both hands roll up, the tips of the first two fingers touch and the two thumbtips touch. The final position is a triangle with both palms facing the audience. An audience member is requested to hold out his hand. The magician's come down toward the audience member's hand. A coin appears out of thin-air and falls through the hole in the magician's hands and onto the audience member's palm. Jay says that he's been doing this since 1995.

Rolling Downs Load - This is Jay Sankey's technique for getting into "The Downs Palm". According to Jay, he has been playing around with this since 1997.

Rolling Downs Production - This is Jay Sankey's technique for producing a coin from "The Downs Palm". According to Jay, he has been playing around with this since 1997.

Wide-Eyed Production - Two coins are produced as an invisible coin is caught and passed back and forth from the fingertips of each hand.

Silver Fision 2 - This is a variation on Howard Swartzman's "Instantaneous Coin Change" in Bobo's expanded book. Jay unknowingly reinvented Swartzman's trick the last time around and called it "The Pancake Toss".

From Nowhere Production - This is a variation on the "Flying Shuttle Pass"

Duet Production - This is a visual production of two coins.

Messiah Clean-up - This is technique of producing a coin after having vanished it with the "Messiah Vanish".

Body Shift Production - This is a one-coin production that relies heavily on misdirection and crowd interaction.

Tumbleweed Production - This is an extension of Silver Fision 2, which is itself an extension of the "Instantaneous Coin Change".

Merlin Sequence - The magician borrows a coin and places it on his left palm. After displaying the coin, the hand closes into a fist and turns palm down. The magician makes a magical pass with the right hand and then rubs the back of the fist with the right fingers. The left hand opens, the coin has vanished and both palms are displayed to the audience.

Next up Transformations...
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Transformations:

Wrinkle in Time - Jay says he uses this to fry the minds of drunk people. It's an extension of "The Flying Shuttle Pass".

Freefall Transfer - I've talked to Jay and confirmed my suspicion that this was a renamed "Newton Drop", which appeared on the first DVD. He acknowledges it, but assures me that it wasn't intentional. I tend to believe him, since this is a minor little move for a "Flurry" routine that in no way makes or breaks the DVD.

Blink Crossing - A boldly visual coin across along the lines of the Duet Production.

Next up...Switches.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Switches:

Flying Shuttle Change - Let's just say that if you've ever played with the Flying Shuttle Pass, you've probably stumbled upon this.

Sickle Switch - This is a variation on the Flying Shuttle Pass.

Radar Switch - This is basically the Sickle Switch in reverse.

Next up...Changes.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Changes:

Motion Change: A coin is held between the fingertips of both hands. The hands make a twisting motion, taking the coin from hand to hand. After a few twists, the coin has changed into an entirely different coin.

P.O.V. Change: This is an extension of the "Capricorn Change", which is a variation of the "Instantaneous Coin Change".

Steeplechase Change: The name says it all.

Mephisto Change: This is a one-handed coin change. A coin is displayed, the hand is shaken and the coin has changed. No offense to Jay, but for a coin change, done in this manner, MB's variation on the de Manche Change, aka The Crimp Change, is far superior.

Next up...Vanishes.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Vanishes:

Rollover Retention Vanish: This is Jay's handling of a variation on "The French Drop" that was popular with David Williamson. Jay's addition is as minimal as you can get.

Blow Away Vanish: Jay Sankey said that this is something that he has been playing around with since 1995. He saw some clips of Shoot Ogawa doing something similiar and decided that it was time to release his handling. A coin is displayed, by the edge, between the thumb and forefinger, with the thumb on top. The hand is brought to the mouth, the coin is blown on and vanishes.

Submarine Vanish - This a continuation of the ideas presented in the Duet Production and Blink Crossing.

Shaker Vanish - According to Jay Sankey, this is not new to him and it might even go back as far as Tenkai. It's a one coin vanish. It's along the same idea as the Sumarine Vanish and the other mentioned in that entry.

Bangkok Vanish - This is a variation on "The Bottom Steal" that is found in Bobo's.

Hypnovanish - The magician borrows a coin and says that he's going to hypnotize the audience with his eyes. He places the coin into a closing left hand, makes a few magical passes over it and when it's opened, the coin has vanished. The magician points, with both forefingers, to his eyes and states that he has indeed hypnotized the audience. Both hands are shown completely empty and the coin can be reproduced as needed.

Gravity Vanish - The magician displays a coin, by the edge, between the right thumb and forefinger, with the thumb on top. The coin is placed into a closing left hand. When the left hand is opened, the coin has vanished.

Corkscrew Vanish - This is like the Motion Change, but instead of changing into a coin, the coin vanishes.

Airborne Vanish - That is a vanish that is similar in theory, but in reverse, to a concept called "One Open, One Closed", presented by Al Schneider in his Technique Vol. I DVD.

Next up...Routines.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Chad, you're on the money so far!!!

tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of tgold65
Chad,

I have Revolution Coin Magic 2.0 as well and while I wish there were more full routines on it, I agree with your second review. If you are going to make this DVD useful, you need to decide that you want to learn to Tenkai pinch, that is for sure.

I agree with Chris about Strike Three and the clean up on the Messiah vanish. I also liked Hypnotize.

I did find the utilities more useful as having more variation on productions, vansihes and changes is a good thing. But you are right to say that the real value is that this will make you think more about your magic and about crowd control and misdirection at a higher level.

For that it was very useful, but I would not recommend this just for the mechanics of the effects.
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
I'd like to add that Hypnotized has been released by Jay before, under the same name or something very similar. I just can't seem to recall on what video/DVD...
iceblade
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of iceblade
I have the DVD and Chad's review is right on target
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Id still like to get this I think... seems like it would fill some gaps for me in places for utility and maybe just plain fun
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Bought this from Davenports last night and watched it this morning.

I think the title of the DVD should be "101 ways to produce a coin from Goshman Pinch"

Very disappointing work from the Jayster. Nowhere near the depth or quality of Rev Coin Magic 1.0.

Sankey is hit and miss. This is a miss.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review - Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic 2.0 (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL