The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Anyone have this book? From the website http://flourishman.com/ it looks like a quality product but looks can be deceiving. It also costs a small fortune which is making me hesitant in buying it.

So anyone have any opinions?
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Don't hesitate. Get it!!! It's a must for any cardman or card manipulator. Great book. They also use to have the instructional Video Compact Disc on Cobra and L-cut and stuff more in limited edition. I always wanted to get hold one of those VCDs but too bad it is out-of-print.

If you have the money, take my words and get this book. Tons of pictures and clear instructions to understand. Some of the flourishes are so fantastic that I had never seen those out there. My final word...get it.

Best Regards
Symmatrix
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Are the instuctions clear? The table of contents lists quite a few flourishes and though the book is long that doesn't mean that the descriptions are quality...
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
The one fatal flaw of the book is that the text is separated from the photos in some cases--while the text description may be on pages 22 and 23, the photos are on pages 24 and 25. It's kinda hard to keep flipping back and forth while practicing a multi-packet cut involving both hands!

This is a book that would have greatly benefited from a similar treatment to the Slydini books by Fulves, where the photos were printed in a separate book from the text for easy side-by-side reference. There might still be an occasional problem of more than two pages worth of photos, but it would greatly reduce the frustrations of not having a third hand with which to turn the pages.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
It is a great book to get. The only problem I found is that there is too much stuff to choose from. The book is high quality, and the photos are pretty clear.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
I haven't seen the entire book, but I wrote to the author concerning a particular problem I was having with a flourish, and he was nice enough to send me some samples from the prepublication gallies he'd received.

I am very impressed with his writing style (I used to be an English teacher, so I can tell good writing from poor)and the clarity of instruction. That doesn't mean, by any means, that you'll be able to pick up the book, read, then do. This stuff takes A LOT (take note please, that a lot is TWO WORDS, not one) of practice. The photos were very clear and helped tremendously. It's obvious that this guy knows his stuff and he went to a lot of trouble to put it into a quality publication.

Why didn't I buy the book? Mainly because I do so little card work. Maybe I'll work on my fourishes when someone adds another six hours to each day, but right now I'm content to sit and watch those of you who CAN do all the manipulations and be very jealous.

-Jon
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
If you do flourishes get the book!I'm very.very happy with the book.Get the book! Smile
mack10
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of mack10
I am buying the book. I watched all the videos! There is a product section on superhandz that talks about the encyclopedia, and also has links to videos of moves that are in the book. It was very helpful. And if that wasn't enough, the Xtreme2 video clip they just put up on http://www.superhandz.com was enough to sell me on any of their products!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL