The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Joker Puzzler (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-12-25 07:35, inb the "New to Magic" thread, madkiki wrote:
I have already thought of buying 52 decks of cards and creating 52 forcing decks. When I get the money I will do just that, and it sounds like a fun thing to do. Would enjoy a forcing deck of all Jokers, and if anyone knows a routine with Joker forcing deck please let me know.

I thought about what you could do with an all Joker deck during my Christmas vacation and I came up with an idea. I thought it would make an interesting puzzler for students of magic, so I am starting by posting just the effect I came up with, as it it were written as a description in a magic catalog for a deck made up of 52 jokers.

Jokers Jollyday
Effect:

You hand a spectator a shuffled deck of playing cards and ask him to look through the deck and remove a royal flush hand for poker. As an aside, you tell him if he comes across any jokers, he can discard them from the deck. He finds no jokers, but pulls out an ace, king, queen, jack and ten of any suit, dropping them face up on the table. This also ensures that the deck has now been thoroughly examined without asking him to examine it. You ask him to place the royal flush face down on the rest of the cards, and you cover the cards with a handkerchief. While he is holding the cards under the handkerchief, you ask him to deal the royal flush hand once more onto the table, face down, which he should be able to do easily, since they are the top five cards on the deck. You remove the handkerchief and congratulate him on being able to deal a perfect hand without looking at it. Have him turn over the hand he dealt, and he now discovers they have all turned to jokers. When he spreads out the rest of the cards face up on the table, they are all jokers, too!

You already went into this effect knowing we were using a deck made up of all jokers, yet the spectator examined the deck beforehand and verified that no jokers were in it, and that the cards were all different. So all magicians know a switch of decks must have been made. The puzzler question is: when was the switch made, and how was it accomplished?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
While the spectator puts the flush on the table seems like the only time it could happen...

And as for the spectator putting the flush back on the deck, then you take the deck. You show the cards, one by one, by peeling them off the deck. Then you place them back on, this time establishing a palm on all the flush cards...

What do you think?
zeitgeistmovie.com will enlighten you. Trust me Smile
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You'll find my solution for this on The Magic Nook Forum, locked up tight (you'll need a password), but there is more than one solution and I'm more interested in what YOU think. Have you tried your solution to see if it would work?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
I don't think I'm good enough to pull off such good sleight of hand...No, I haven't.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
HINT: Maybe if you took advantage of the handkerchief, you wouldn't need any sleight of hand at all.
Professor Spellbinder

Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
{In a whiny voice} BuT ThE SpEcTaToR Is HoLdInG ThE DEEEcckk!!! Lol, mabey I'm not being creative enough...
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
{In a sarcastic Jim Carey Voice} Well how can we get him to let go of the deck long enough to switch it? Class? Class? How about you, Ian_M? No? He's too busy trying to sell stuff to David Copperfield. Well, Ethereal, it's up to you....
Professor Spellbinder

Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Lol!! Hmm...As he holds it, you nonchalantly take it from ABOVE the hankerchief, so it looks like it's still the same, then expertly switch it??
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's the switching move we're after. We know it's done, we know WHEN it's done, so the question is exactly HOW is it done? Keep in mind that he cannot SEE the deck now that it's covered with the handkerchief; all he can do is FEEL it.

It might help if you hold a deck of cards in your (for example) right hand and cover it with a handkerchief. Take another deck of cards in your left hand and work out where it has to be in order to lift the deck in your right hand and immediately replace it with the other deck from your left hand. Can it all be done with one hand? Do you feel the switch, or do you just feel the pack lifted and replaced?

Now put the deck to be switched on a sponge (to simulate a hand) and try it with both hands, covering the deck and working out what your switching move has to be. If you discover it, just respond with the coded expression "Aha!" No need to tell everyone what you found out. Let's keep it a secret and make others work for it!
Professor Spellbinder

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Joker Puzzler (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL